Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

zdz40FAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: zdz40FAI

perfect here...
THanks..
Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
kochj

I was curious about the weights..

A Oxai Zeque with a ys 160 DZ less fuel.. 4560g or 10.053lbs

A Zdz40 Comp ARF less fuel 4950 or 10.913lbs

Not bad at all.....
Considering a Comp ARF is a bit of a heavy weight when compared to the 3500$ Japam made Oxial models....

I would like to know what the Comp-ARF pattern plane weights with a ys 170..??? RTF???
ibeit about the same..... Not considering the need or the not need for the extra fuel a thirsty ys170 needs to run .....
Smaller gas can=less wieght....
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kochj

I was curious about the weights..

A Oxai Zeque with a ys 160 DZ less fuel.. 4560g or 10.053lbs

A Zdz40 Comp ARF less fuel 4950 or 10.913lbs

Not bad at all.....
Considering a Comp ARF is a bit of a heavy weight when compared to the 3500$ Japam made Oxial models....

I would like to know what the Comp-ARF pattern plane weights with a ys 170..??? RTF???
ibeit about the same..... Not considering the need or the not need for the extra fuel a thirsty ys170 needs to run .....
Smaller gas can=less wieght....
30% nitro fuel is the densest of the fuels we run and about 15% denser than gasoline. A 170 DZ needs about 24 ozs (about 21 ounces or 1 lb 5 ounces of weight) to fly about 10 minutes. The ZDZ40 RE F3A needs about 12 ozs (about 9.5 ounces or just over 1/2 lb of weight) to fly the same length of time. On pipe, the ZDZ develops considerably more output than the YS.

Take your pick. Take-off weight is about the same for these models. The edge comes in landing weight....the YS powered model will have the edge. BUT I wonder who cares about landing weight

MattK
Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Air Surfer
My Feedback: (9)

After negating the conversations of the naysayers that don't own this engine[sm=bananahead.gif] and following this tread of pros & cons concerning the ZDZ 40RE-F3A, it appears that this engine is a viable contender for AMA Pattern whether FAI or any of the lower classes. This tread reveals factual supporting evidence that suggest this engine is a "can-do" equivalent of the domineering YS 160/170 class. Thanks guys for the info and proving grounds. Oh yea, thanks also to the [sm=bananahead.gif] naysayers that make us think twice and be sure of "being sure".
Now, what are some suggested airframes for our newfound addition to the family?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Bishop and others who have watched this thread as I have.

I began a project last summer to build a 2 meter ship with a ZDZ40 RF F3A as the power source. I have the motor and I've run it extensively on a test stand. As an alternative, I also tried converting an OS 160 to gasoline power using the ProSpark ignition system and Walbro carburetor. While the OS 160 isn't as powerful as the ZDZ, I think that it is powerful enough and it is significantly lighter and quieter than the ZDZ.

I'm sure that the ZDZ can be accomodated in a pattern plane, but I think the OS is going to be easier to "meet spec's " with. I offer this as an alternative for others to consider as well.

FYI, the "added weight" of the gas conversion to the OS is about 130 grams. The all up weight is about 10 ounces less than the ZDZ. On a test stand (haven't flown it yet) The OS 160 is turning 7800 rpms with a APC 18.1 X 10 prop. This is running a 16:1 oil mixture with 87 octane gasoline using a Mueller header and an Aeroslave pipe at "standard length" for an OS 160 Nitro.

My bench esperience is that the converted OS starts more consistently and runs more consistently with a more linear throttle response than the ZDZ did for me.

FYI ithe ZDZ turned a 20 X 10 wooden prop about 7100 rpms using a Mueller header and a ES carbon pipe. It was LOUD<G>.

George
Old 02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LCHelilover

Hi Bishop and others who have watched this thread as I have.

I began a project last summer to build a 2 meter ship with a ZDZ40 RF F3A as the power source. I have the motor and I've run it extensively on a test stand. As an alternative, I also tried converting an OS 160 to gasoline power using the ProSpark ignition system and Walbro carburetor. While the OS 160 isn't as powerful as the ZDZ, I think that it is powerful enough and it is significantly lighter and quieter than the ZDZ.

I'm sure that the ZDZ can be accomodated in a pattern plane, but I think the OS is going to be easier to "meet spec's " with. I offer this as an alternative for others to consider as well.

FYI, the "added weight" of the gas conversion to the OS is about 130 grams. The all up weight is about 10 ounces less than the ZDZ. On a test stand (haven't flown it yet) The OS 160 is turning 7800 rpms with a APC 18.1 X 10 prop. This is running a 16:1 oil mixture with 87 octane gasoline using a Mueller header and an Aeroslave pipe at "standard length" for an OS 160 Nitro.

My bench esperience is that the converted OS starts more consistently and runs more consistently with a more linear throttle response than the ZDZ did for me.

FYI ithe ZDZ turned a 20 X 10 wooden prop about 7100 rpms using a Mueller header and a ES carbon pipe. It was LOUD<G>.

George
Did you soft mount the ZDZ?? Mounted straight up without a soft mount, I'm sure it would be loud and shake like the dickens. I have mine soft mounted and use the large ES pipe also with pretty good results

MattK
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Hyde Mount for both engines, yes
Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 AM
kobago

You may be disappointing.
I am using a handmade Hyde-mount and a XOAR 19x13E propeller.
That is very quiet, and It is more powerful and more throttle response than OS140RX.
kobago.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
kochj

LCHelilover

It will be interesting to see how long that conversion lasts for you....

That engine starts at 2 lbs or 32oz bare..

I would have went with a Evolution 26 with the mods that this guy did, if you are concerned about weight!!
http://tech.flygsw.org/evolution26review.htm

Conversions such as yours typically don't last very long, due to not enough lube in the setup w/ gas...
Not that I am cutting you down for trying, I just don't think they are the best way to do, especially when there are
wonderfull engines that are already out there as a "Gas engine"...
The reason why the gas specific engines weigh more is due to the upgrades in bearings, ect to handle the gas/oil mixture.... or
the LACK OF OIL.

I think that Kabago has a very viable setup....

There are simply put.... "TOO many variences to conclude what you have aobut this engine (zdz40f3a)"

By the way,,,,, Chief aircraft has a sweet deal on the Evolution 45cc gas engine @ 400$.....

Also,,, RCshowcase has been sold to TBM's and he is having a Sale on all the engines 1$ off per cc of engine!.....
Good stuff.....
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM
kochj

Also,
I have a OS 1.60 Gemini twin on the way that is converted to ignition.....
I will NOT be using gas in it ...... I will use the standard Nitro/caster/syn. Alcohol.. mixture.....
Why??? It causes too many problems!....

I know that Mark/moki has it's 1.80 and recent 1.40 on gas, but it does have some different coponents between the nitro and gas version..... mainly in the barings and piston and sleeve.... Saito's 220 gas only has the addition of a carb, and ignition and it's seems to running well?? so who know's it may last a longggg time...

The engine is not going in a pattern plane ! LOL
It is for a scale super chipmunk!....

Take care all!.....
Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 AM
kobago

Hi all.
I found the propeller which was better for ZDZ40.
It is APC19x12E, and it is the propeller for the electric airplane.
I have adjusted a pitch to 19x11.
And, I was afraid of that strength. But, a problem can't be seen now, either.
The characteristics of this propeller are quiet.
kobago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54553.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1224997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63836.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1224998