Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

NEW Fliton Inspire 90 Pattern Plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

NEW Fliton Inspire 90 Pattern Plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
wagen017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Fliton Inspire 90 Pattern Plane

ORIGINAL: romonte

Inspire90 + Saito125 + 3 blade 15x6 in testing

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7_xgtTUX0[/link]

Regards
What RPM are you running with this prop? (and what fuel/mixture)
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
PJ2008

flown my fliton 90 for 4 flights. nice floater and great flighting plane.

advice you to change you landing gears to carbon ones... equally light but much stronger. the stock ones are abit
short and doesnt look proportionate.

my 2 sets of land gears or crack at the joint. also, my left and right gears are not balanced. ie. one side is shorter. very strange.
defect applies to both sets of gears.

the stock gear is plastic reinforced fibreglass... oops...

by the way, i am using the axi 5320 with 16by 10 prop with thunderpower extreme v2 6cell 5000mah, and 80 amp speed control.

flies great... but big problem, the motor has a huge dia shaft... cant find an appropriate spinner with such bigh hole... anyhelp here?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
ARTP47

Just picked up an Inspire 90 new in box at an IMAC event. Here's the catch, no instructions. Want to put a 2 stroke 120 ax in the plane. Could some one post picks of glow motor installation? Any idea's no how to get a manual?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
wagen017

Here's how I installed a Saito-125

The build is straight forward. In the box is included a motor mount for electric, you can throw it away.

Also included is a doubler for the firewall. You should not throw that one away ! . Epoxy it to the firewall. You need the additional strength when using glow.

Sofar I have flown 25 flights with the Saito. No complaints, all still in one piece.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the LG. It is too low and not strong enough for the plane.

Volkert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94557.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1035193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13312.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1035194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45058.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1035195  
Old 09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
ARTP47

Wagen017 Thanks for the picks. It's just about the end of the summer flying season in this part of the woods. So the Inspire is a winter project will look into better landing gear.
How did you deal with the two elevator haves, been thinking of a bell crank setup.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 PM
flyslow

Hi ArtP47,
I have a OS120ax in mine. I have flown it about 15 times now and seems to be progressing fairly well. I posted some photos on another thread, here's the link
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7656070/tm.htm
I have set mine up running a tuned pipe and is coming along quite well. BTW the supplied undercarriage makes great paint stirrers, don't risk a lovely model with inadequate undercarriage, mine started delaminating from the first landing (and it was a smooth landing!) and after 4 flights I replaced it with carbon Bolly undercarriage. I also used a dual elevator set up which seems to be working quite well.
Flyslow
Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
wagen017

ARTP47, as you can see in the pictures I used pull-pull for the elevator halves. Although I am a great fan of Fliton airplanes, I never really understood their fascination with the wing dowel joiner. I did cut it in half, and then installed the elevator halves (but not connected). My original idea was to use Futaba 9650 but they were not available. For the CG all worked out well, so no problem there with servo in the middle iso the tail

I agree with the gear story. I almost lost the Inspire since it simply did not rotate.

Volkert
Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 PM
ARTP47

Once again Wagen017 thanks.

Flyslow thanks for the link.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:15 AM
PJ2008

hi all.

i had a fliton 90 inspire that lost on the 6th flight, due to an unrecoverable stall spin. I was too careless. This is an excellent plane
and i am setting up a new plane soon.

anyway, here is my setup:

AXI 5320-18. prop size Aeronaut 16x10, battery: TP extreme 5000, 6 cell. hobbywing 80amp speed controller, and a separate bec for
the receiver.
on cruise, my watt meter reads about 20amps and peak at about 60amps. all draws about 1200watt max and my plane weighs 8 pounds.
this gives me 150watt/pound. quite decent. of course, i wished for more power, my that would mean more weight and all.

i am able to do straight verticals with this setup.

i hope anyone can help me with 2 problems that i face:

1. a loud squeeky noise if i throttle up too fast to max throttle. but if i do it slowly, even slower than engine, i am ok.
2. as i revert to zero throttle, there sometimes are jerks if i try to restart the motor, before the motor comes to a standstill. this makes me very uneasy.
incase i need to save the plane in a stall, and i am not a ble to do so, i will lose it.

can any electric flyers here advice please? thanks.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:45 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

PJ2008,

First off, Tru Turn will custom drill a backplate for you. You just have to call them. When I was running the Axi's I ordered my spinners from them direct. Custom cut for any props and the backplates drilled.

As for your squeaking noise, is it a squeaking, or is it a screech?
Static balance your prop as seen in this video http://www.dodvideos.com/don3.wmv
Most people aren't balancing props this way and it causes a screeching type of noise.

As for your startup problem, it's likely a esc issue, but are you setting a low idle rpm? If not, you should. The prop doesn't need to stop in flight. Just needs to come to low idle like a glow motor.

Chris
Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

screeching noise is timing issues. It's most noticable with a freshly charged pack as the voltage is higher.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
patternflyer1

I've pulled apart many Axi's and saw where the magnets were hitting each other caused by props that weren't balanced properly. Matter of fact, I've changed props before and had the noise go away.
But I do agree, it can be from what you said BoneDoc. I just don't know that high voltage is the case as he's running a 6 cell pack. I had a 5320 and ran a 10 cell pack with no problems. Could be the ESC though, that's for sure. Didn't the Castle's do that for a little while, until they got it straightened out?

C
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM
PJ2008

Thanks bonedoc, patternflyer 1.

i am on my way to setup another infinity by this week.

i definitely agree that i should set a low idle from now on.do you do it with a button setting? i am using the futaba 12z... which button
do you use?

the screeching noise sounds like a "mini elephant" or a trumpet... its very strange. i am going to try a wood prop 18x8 or 17x8. its arriving from chief aircraft.
i hope the noise goes away... nobody in my club or community has experienced this. but the stutter at the start is quite a common problem.

thanks.

appreciate your advice again.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM
patternflyer1

Does your esc have a timing adjustment? If so, what timing are you running? Your startup issue is definitely esc related. I ran the Jeti 77's and 90's on the Axi's. I didn't have this problem. I have however seen it with the Hacker controllers also.

As for idle setting, I use the throttle trim as I don't use preset endpoints for throttle. I do a run up on the ground to set them. If you have preset endpoints you could set any switch up for an idle I would assume. I don't know much about the Futaba systems.

Are the props you are getting from Chief the Xoar's? I think they come prebalanced.

Chris
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
PJ2008

Hi Patternflyer1

thanks. i think it is the Xoars, but they may not be the premium ones. any case, i will check and balance them.

JETI sells at S$500 in Singapore. way to expensive. even the pheonix sells at S$200 only.

US$1= S$1.47

Thanks for your advice. i have set my timing for the hobby wing at medium. also tried different settings. all didnt work.
i hope the change of prop will remove the sound. let me try when all the plane is setup.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:39 PM
PJ2008

hi patternflyer,

am still having problems with a balanced xoar prop. i think it is the speed control. i am using a china's hobbywing.
jeti costs 5 times more here and 2 times more than castle creations... beyond my budget. so still figuring out why.

tks a billion.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
jordisr

Anyone of you has flown this plane with an OS 91 FX?
I am looking for a new practice pattern plane, since I crashed my CaModel Epsilon 90 and I have this engine free.

Thanks
Jordi
Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 AM
PJ2008

hi pattern flyer, bonedoc ,

i changed to a jeti 70 speed controller and all the problems of jittering, funny noises are gone. i think it is a timing issue afterall.
and afterall, jeti and axi are made for each other.

owe it to the forum to report on this problem.
so thanks for all the help pals.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:01 AM
wagen017

OK, I have been flying the Inspire-90 now for 40 flights. All in all it is performing OK, but is not perfect sofar!

So my setup is with a Saito-125 on a Hyde mount, fuel tank behind the firewall.

I measured the plane with a Robart incidence meter.
Stabilizer: 0 degrees
wings (both): 0 degrees
Engine thrust: 3 degrees to right, 1 degree down. I also measured the prop vs. the fin and then calculated: 2,91 degrees

Throws:
Ailerons: 9 degrees down, 6 degrees up (diff); without the differential the plane is all over the place
Elevator: 12 degrees both up/down. I checked the elevator halves. They have equal travel.

CG: 7 inch from LE (took this from discussion at RC Groups)
When I fly inverted I just need a touch of down elevator to keep horizontal, so that looks good.

Now what I find very strange is the following:

When flying Knife-Edge from left to right with the canopy towards me, she pulls very strongly to the wheels.

When flying KE from right to left with the canopy towards me, she is almost neutral.

What should I do next in trimming?? I thought about changing wing incidence, but if it is not necessary, I prefer not to do this.
I don't like to mix rudder to elevator, since this also has effect if you try to correct your line with rudder.

Volkert

EDIT: I reread the manual on my transmitter (Futaba FF-9) and normally to have straight rolls, you need less up then down travel for the ailerons. So just for the sake of it, I switched this and will recheck when flying next time.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
wagen017

Any comments on KE performance of the Inspire-90?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:21 AM
okelly

Hi Volkert,

I think you might find your answer here:
http://members.shaw.ca/patternwestne...onTrimming.doc + http://members.shaw.ca/patternwestne...nWorksheet.xls
http://www.hebertcompetitiondesigns....n/Trimming.jpg

Since it pulls to the belly in left rudder, it would suggest you need to move your cg, but first make sure your incidence is correct. 0/0 is not recommended.
good luck trimming

I have a few questions regarding performance with the saito 1.25 and AUW: what kind of vertical performance are you getting? do you have unlimited vertical on 3/4 throttle? what fuel are you using? what prop/rpm? what is your AUW?

Thanks,
Ofir
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60954.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	917.3 KB
ID:	1062052  
Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 PM
wagen017

Today had another great day of flying!

So, first of all, I changed the right thrust from 2.9 to 4 degrees, since I still needed to trim the rudder to the right to get a straight upline. This is now fine, the upline is now straight without rudder compensation.

I also changed the down thrust from -0.7 to -1.3 degrees. No noticable difference (!!).

For left rudder I have -4% compensation, for right rudder KE I have +1% compensation. With that, my KE performance is OK, although I prefer no trimming like this.

ORIGINAL: okelly

Since it pulls to the belly in left rudder, it would suggest you need to move your cg, but first make sure your incidence is correct. 0/0 is not recommended.
good luck trimming
I agree, 0/0 is not recommended nowadays, but that is how the plane is setup by manufacturer! So, my next step would be to install wing incidence adjusters and play with this (i.e. go to 0,5 degrees positive). I have read the triangulation trimming with great interest; in my opinion the part about 0/0 planes describes the Inspire exactly (unfortunately!). However I really wonder when on electro she would behave like this as well.

ORIGINAL: okelly

I have a few questions regarding performance with the saito 1.25 and AUW: what kind of vertical performance are you getting? do you have unlimited vertical on 3/4 throttle? what fuel are you using? what prop/rpm? what is your AUW?
I think the Saito-125 is a perfect match for the Inspire-90. I fly here on a Hyde mount and sofar (50 flights) the plane is holding up perfectly. Vertical is fine on 10% nitro/18% oil; 8900 rpm with APC14x10; weight is around 3.5kgs.

Volkert
Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 AM
okelly

Thanks for the info volkert.

Let us know how the trimming goes.

Ofir
Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 AM
selnekav

Hi Volkert ,
install wing incidence adjusters? is there some kit that can be installed on any airframe ?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 AM
selnekav

Hi Volkert,
Can you explaine the "For left rudder I have -4% compensation, for right rudder KE I have +1% compensation"
is that mean that on idle you need 4% left rudder mix ? do you use point mix ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.