Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Wich plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 AM
eabmex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wich plane?

I have been reading the posts and the information available here is terrific!

I am returning to the hobby after a 5 year absence and was looking at the different options available. I want to get a new ARF pattern ship and would like to keep it under $1500 (for the kit) I am considering all the way from a ultraRc Evolution, the Focus II, one of the BVM props planes or the Integral.
I do not know if I will compete again in the near future but I am shure I will enjoy flying one of these new 2m light planes and try to get the rust out of my fingers!
Any comments and suggestions will be more than welcome!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Wich plane?

Any on of those would be a good choice
Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
mini fly
My Feedback: (4)

Focus 2 would be the best choice simply becaues parts are avialable should thoes fingers be a little to rusty.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
jayjayneri

The best plane available within your budget is the Shinden from BVM. I fly an Astral XX made by the same company that makes the Shinden and have seen the first Shinden they produced. Looks great, flies great and needs very little time to get in the air. I had a Focus II once and its a great flying plane but the Shinden is just fantastic. You cant go wrong.

Jayjay
Old 03-27-2007, 11:53 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I second the Focus II.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:09 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

I actually have a FOCUS II, have flown a FOCUS II and can say from experience you will be thrilled to own and fly this model. I have seen lots of others but since I have not flown them - I don't think it's right to recommend them....
Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
eabmex

It seems the Focus II has a good reputation and it is the same style of construction that some of the planes I used to fly. Regarding The Shinden it looks really nice, the proportions look right as does the fairings and the scheme (stetically is the one I like the most). I will wait to see if somebody who owns or has flown some of the ohers can give their feedback.
Now for the power system glow or electric? I used to use YS engines and was very happy with them, today I own a number of smaller electric planes and are really impressed with their power, reliability, easy of use, torque to move large props, no cleaning required, etc.
I know the initial investment is higher with an electric but wit the price of fuel I think this wil be offset within a year. What is the trend today? Advantages and drwback of each system?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM
jayjayneri

The YS160 is my power of choice at the moment. Its very user friendly, especially since you already have experience with YS. Going electric is also an option although in my humble opinion the setups/batteries/prop choices/etc have not yet been fully optimized. The YS has a definate advantage in wind especially at the hands of regular fliers like us. In no wind conditions, the electrics may have a slight edge but how often do you get to fly with no wind especially at a contest? In the hands of a world class flyer, it makes no difference. In a couple of years time, though, this may change as people get more experienced with electric setups and the much improved batteries are released (very soon) and become more mainstream and reasonabl priced. Electric may be the future but for now, the YS is the best overall performer at any price.

Jayjay
Old 03-28-2007, 04:45 PM
mjfrederick

I gotta second the Shinden. I've flown original prototype and it's an excellent flying airplane. When the first couple Shindens were made they had a few minor problems that Bryan Hebert had to sort out with the manufacturer, but those issues are resolved (involving some of the weights and incidences). I've seen both of the color schemes up close and personal (Bryan Hebert has the Red/Yellow/Blue/White scheme and Brian Clemmons has the "Pink" one). They both are very sharp looking airplanes. The pictures of the pink scheme on the web don't do the plane justice. I can't speak for the flying characteristics of the production models because I haven't flown one (yet), but when Bryan took his up for the maiden he was flying pieces of the P-07 pattern on the first flight. A week or two later I watched another well-known pilot from texas putting it through its paces. It looked to be flying very nicely under 160DZ power. One of my favorite features of the production model is all of the surfaces are center-hinged in the mold, meaning no need to cut out the surfaces or hinge/seal them yourself because the hinge runs the length of the control surface. If I had the money I'd already have mine on order.

Edit:
Oh yeah, the Shinden can be set up for electric power as well (see the pics from the Tangerine contest thread), but it was originally designed to have a 1.70DZ or 1.60DZ in the nose.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the Focus II for the money. I'm currently flying one, and just won the Phoenix contest in Masters with several of the top guys there. The plane is very competitive through all the classes, you can get parts easily for it, and it goes together very easily. The plane is available now, with no waiting.

Arch Stafford