Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

3D or A.A. control surfaces on 2 meter pattern plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

3D or A.A. control surfaces on 2 meter pattern plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 01:01 AM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D or A.A. control surfaces on 2 meter pattern plane

For you design experts...

I am building a new 2-meter plane and am thinking of using a counterbalanced elevator(oversized and hinged more forward about .5 inch) and longer ailerons for A.A./3D type flying already has the rudder c.balaneced and is very effective on the planes that are flying now. What if anything should I look out for in the way of possible problems. Would it be wise to use hinge point hinges and stay away from c/a hinges since there will be larger throws? Would the aiplane fly OK for regular pattern work if the throws are set back or would the increased area of the control surfaces give me some problems.

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 02-22-2003, 01:06 AM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a big discussion about counterbalancing flight controls.
some peoples think this increase the chance to have flutter.
IMAO it's not really necessary
Old 02-22-2003, 01:19 AM
TOYMAKER

Default C.B. control surfaces

Originally posted by SALMONBUG
there is a big discussion about counterbalancing flight controls.
some peoples think this increase the chance to have flutter.
IMAO it's not really necessary
I would think it would be the opposite and it would help control flutter and take the load off the servo.

See photo:

The rudder on this airplane is very effective and knife edge loops very well.
My concern is when I go back to normal pattern throws will the increased surface give me problems like with drag(ailerons) and precision in the elevator.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57279_2297.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	35823  
Old 02-22-2003, 10:50 PM
cameron

Most A.A machines use a different wing section dont they?
Sure the large surfaces would hinder you a bit, but the wing section would be the most critical factor wouldn't it?
Old 02-22-2003, 11:05 PM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i misunderstood your intentions due to my bad english. I tought you were planing to equilibrate the elevator by placing a weighted tab, I read you post again and now I understand that you plan to place a bigger counterbalance tab, sorry for that.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:51 AM
Norman Oliver

For what's worth:
A big sized control surface always means it can flutter, but it's up to your set up if it will: good servos (digitals if u will) taking special care for the linkages, sealed control surfaces's gaps, moderate top speeds... a friend of mine flies a Wide Body 90. U know it has BIG control surfaces and it's an actual high speed flying plane, but with the right set up for low rates and a bit of exponential itīs become a supreme pattern plane AND 3D capable. It just does EVERYTHING in the book.
Oh, forget about those CA hinges... they won't stand for the strength generated over the control sufaces of a good 3d/pattern plane. Greetings and happy flights.
(forgive mispellings... not my 1st language)
Old 02-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Thomasr

Originally posted by SALMONBUG
I think i misunderstood your intentions due to my bad english. I tought you were planing to equilibrate the elevator by placing a weighted tab
What's wrong with the counter-balanced tabs? As far as I can see, it should decrease the chance of flutter, due to less load on the servo, however, I'm no aerodynamics engineer, and I'm not shocked if my assumption is wrong.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:33 PM
TOYMAKER

Originally posted by Thomasr

What's wrong with the counter-balanced tabs? As far as I can see, it should decrease the chance of flutter, due to less load on the servo, however, I'm no aerodynamics engineer, and I'm not shocked if my assumption is wrong.
This would be my assumtion also since there is already a quite a large area of counterbalance on the rudder(about 10%) with no ill effects.

Wayne
Old 02-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Thomasr

I discovered a mistake in my last post, what I really meant was counter-balancing weights, sorry for that. I can's see any reasons for it to flutter when using those tabs either though, the tab may cause some turbulence (my aerodynamic skills are still limited, keep that in mind ), but I'd guess that the reduction in load for the servo would have more affect, and therefore not cause higher risk of flutter.