Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

What "Proper" modern F3A 110 size model ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What "Proper" modern F3A 110 size model ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 AM
wagen017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What "Proper" modern F3A 110 size model ?

I have flown all of them. The140 is better then the 90, and the 90 is better then the 50! This very much depends on the weight vs. wing area. My 90 is 4040 grams with OS-91FX and pipe. With a 4-stroke like FA-100 you have problems with CG. I would go for a Inspire or other!!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 AM
boysnake

Can someone with experience kindly let us know more about the Astral xx120 please. Seems it's built around ys 110 with short Hatori pipe on a Hirobo/MK type floating mount. What about OS120 ax? I can see '140' indicated on Hirobo's website - 140rx overkill? Max available pipe lenght without fuse mods please. Weight with ys 110 (indicated 3.8-4.2 kg)?. Glass fuse? Coupling issues?

Boysnake
Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Capiche

Sorry to be picky but Tojeiro design is too old, and not enough front area, and that Canopy looks terrible !

[:-]
Old 05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Capiche

Sorry to be picky but Tojeiro design is too old, and not enough front area, and that Canopy looks terrible !

[:-]
You ARE being picky. Asking for a latest and greatest design in a non-competitive size is asking for a lot. What you want does not exist in a manufactured form. A lot of excellent planes have been mentioned and you shot all of them down. Based on how specific your wants are, I would say that you will need to scratch build your own to get it. Mark Hunt will scale his Insight down and print a set of plans for you, Mike Hester MIGHT be willing to do the same for his Black Magic V2, and the 2M Voodoo Express by Richard Lewis / Mark Hunt flies superbly on a 110. Beyond that, you are on your own. If you do manage to come up with a world beater 110 plane, you should be able to at least sell plans to a few people who want the same thing.

Mark
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Capiche

EXCUSE ME ![X(]

I have meant no malice by my responses - thats the point of this forum to seek out advice and feedback.

I had very specific ideas in mind and I got to see a bunch of models I didnt look at before and I do believe I have said thank you on more than one occasion !

We all have our own opinion of whats ugly and nice, but i believe I reserved any "criticism" along those lines to a minimum. In many case the suggestions have not bee precisely what I was looking for that's all - Im not looking for a world beater just a modern design - and yes I appreciate this would be hard to come by and that's why I posted here. That is the point of this foum isn't it ?

I do not think it is a big ask actually - How many Synergy 90/91s have been sold ! loads ! - but I appreciate that there are few around...

thank you again for your feedback nevertheless !
Old 05-17-2007, 02:34 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Capiche

EXCUSE ME ![X(]

thank you again for your feedback nevertheless !
Capiche, I wasn't trying to be nasty, just pointing out that what you are asking for is quite a bit. As you note, many of the older designs don't handle newer schedules that well. This means that the only planes that will are very recent designs, and all of those are 2M planes. It takes time for the designs to trickle down to the smaller airframes and there hasn't been time for that yet. I am serious when I say that you will have to scratch build what you want, or spend $$$ on the Astral. It will be the only way to get a smaller version of a current design airframe. Or you get to wait while some manufacturer sorts a 2M design, decides to market it in a 110 size, prototypes it and then gets a batch of ARF's together. There is no other way at the moment...

Mark
Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 PM
David Leitch

I think capiches ideas are right on the money. If it doesn't exist yet so be it. Starting with 2 metre and trickling down is one way to do it. Other manuacturers start small and then scale up. .110 size planes are good to fit in cars.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Capiche

I think the only real option I have at the moment is to "Oxalize" the Synergy 90. I reckon with the colour trim pulled off and replaced with alternative scheme, plus an altered set of tail feathers it will look kinda close and probably give me the kind of thing Im looking for... plus this plane is strong and light ! (and built straight !)

Could call it the "Synalis" or "Oxargy" !

Old 05-17-2007, 05:01 PM
GDAVIS

capiche ,
GET REAL! YOU _ARE___ CHASING A PIPE DREAM! If you are so skilled that you would be able to tell the difference between what you call a ''modern design'' from an old one then why are you messing around with such a small airplane? Everyone knows that 2M ships fly better, present better and are judged better. And how modern does it have to be? Several of the planes mentioned have not even been shipped from the factory yet. That is as modern as a plane can get. As for a forward canopy if you have ever competed in a 20 MPH crosswind you would allready know that some of the forward canopy planes don't fly any better than those that are not so forward. And in some cases don't fly as well due to weathervaining and yaw compensation etc.. The guys here have given you their time and ideas and you have had an excuse for every one of them. BTW you only said thanks twice in this thread. You seem to have already made your desicion what ever that may be. You are simply using the suggestions to rationalize and justify that which you have predetermined. JUST DO IT! Go buy it or build it, pay your entry fee and compete. Something tells me that a 14 year old with an outdated plane with an ugly canopy will fly circles around you.

G
Old 05-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Capiche

GET REAL! YOU _ARE___ CHASING A PIPE DREAM!
I don't think I am really....

why are you messing around with such a small airplane?
Because I fancy it and I don't want the expense of an additional 2M job at the moment. It's for my amusement.... not for national or international competition.

BTW you only said thanks twice in this thread
That's more than once where I come from....

Something tells me that a 14 year old with an outdated plane with an ugly canopy will fly circles around you.
I suspect not... but hey you may be right... kids are great talents these days - at least the ones that can fly in a straight line as well as fly models like a shock flier...

Dude... do you need to get some sleep ?
[]
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 PM
jayjayneri

Boysnake, the Astral XX120 has a nicely painted fiberglass fuse with oracover covered wings and stab. It is designed around the YS110. Both the Hatori short anl long pipe would fit with no modification. Not sure if the huge 2 stroke pipes would fit. An OS140 or YS140 and bigger would be way overkill. My plane weighs about 4 kg. Flies great. has only minor coupling/mixing required. Highly recommended if you are willing to spend for the nitro (25-30%) of the YS110 to get it to perform on this plane.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 AM
boysnake

Thanks jayjayneri.

boynsake
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

I have been following this thread with interest. Many thanks to all who have contributed. I have a NIB YS 110 and am seeking an entry level pattern ship. My parameters are not as strict as Capiche's. I simply want a decent flying pattern ship that will give me give me a taste of pattern flying, and some YS experience.

Is the Astral available through a U.S. dealer? I cannot locate it on the Hirobo web site. It appears that the Venus II may be an acceptable choice. They were on sale recently, but I failed to act in a timely manner and did not take advantage of the temporary price reduction.

I would greatly appreciate any additional recommendations, suggestions, comments, etc. which anyone would care to contribute.

Regards to all!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
boysnake

Bob,

You'll find the Astral under 'products' at http://model.hirobo.co.jp/

boysnake
Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

It appears that the Venus II may be an acceptable choice.
I've got one with a YS110---Can't imagine you would be disappointed!---

Ed
Old 05-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Spoon-RCU

I picked up a Venus II during that brief sale. Under $200 shipped! I am about half way through getting it together and it is a very complete ARF (my first ARF in 3 years). I have a 120AX on hand to put in it. I will be changing some of the hardware but not much (ball links, 4-40 pushrods on ailerons, ie). Also I am not putting the tail gear torque rod thingy in the rudder - just going to put a bend just above the collar and run a piece of fuel tubing to the rudder and put a screw or two in it. I am also going guinea pig on some Hobbico digital servos on the ailerons - CS-126's.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM
rodders

Capiche,
If I were you I look closer to home and go to the "probuild" website and get one of the X- tech planes that they import. They are most probably ( almost certainly) ripped of MK designs anyway.
Go to the shopping list and put in X- tech and you will see 2 very good 110 size aeroplanes
Both come in at around £215 with lots of fittings and horns again all MK copies.
Unbeatable value.
If I hadn't moved away from glow,Ii would probably get one myself.
Rodders
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Capiche

rodders, had noticed them but getting sight of pics is a problem...

you know where there are some ?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:57 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob,

I'd look at a Widebody 60 or an Epsilon 90 or a Tojiro 90. Also, there is the Piedmont 1.10 sized Focus.

Pete
Old 05-26-2007, 11:23 AM
rodders

Capiche,
How many photos do you want? There are about 15 of the Infinity.
I have seen them close up and flying, and they are the best thing in the U.K for the money.
The Acacia is 3d based with large barn door controls, so I think you are stuck with the Infinity.
Go to the X- tech list of planes then open up the Infinity window to find lots of photo's.
You might have to contact Probuild for exact details of the colour scheme.
Rodders
Old 05-26-2007, 11:54 AM
wagen017

The infinity is a great combo with the YS-110, check out the RCU thread on it. IMHO the best plane I have flown or seen flying to date in this size!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 02:37 PM
jaycey

You could get one of these.... http://www.5irc.com/content.asp?id=915964 all composite and aparently very cheap.
There was this thread... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47..._oxalys/tm.htm

I wander if anyone ever got one?

quite nice[8D]
Old 05-26-2007, 04:12 PM
wagen017

Not "that" Oxalys again! [&o]; I don't like rip-offs. An Oxalys is a CPLR design, not some (bad) Chinese copy!! If you make a plane, at least give it yourself a name!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Capiche

INCREDIBLE !!

and a terrible repro...