Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: World Models Spot-On 120

Go with the 1.40 if you'll be flying pattern. The 1.10 is great for up to
    around an 8 lb airplane but at 9 lbs you'd be hurting in the long vertical pulls.

tommy s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jeff_edge540

I'm thinking about getting a Spot-on 120 for my first pattern ship. I see you are going to put in a YS1.40 on it. That seems like overkill for a 9 lb plane.
    I'm thinking about pairing mine with a YS 1.10. Since I will have to buy the engine should I go with the the 1.40 or the 1.10?
    I agreed the 140L may be an overkill, I think the 140FZ or the Sport will probably be more suitable. However, I have a repaired L sitting around gathering dust, hense the reason for my decision. Also, it will be a good chance to find out whether the supplied soft mount is up to standard :-)

Adrian

BTW, the wing is almost done, will post some pix later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeff_edge540,

The YS 110 is not enough for the Spot On 120. It barely pulls the groovy 90 in the Masters sequences and will definitely give you vertical problems. Go for a YS120 or a YS140 Sport.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Adrian - how does the CG look like its going come out with the 1.40? It looks like the 1.40 is almost a pound heaver than the 1.10.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Adrian - how does the CG look like its going come out with the 1.40? It looks like the 1.40 is almost a pound heaver than the 1.10.

Don't know yet. I'm planning to use a NMP header and a Johnson pipe as compare to the Hatori short pipe. If its still nose heavy, I may have to put two small servos on the tail for ele.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The wing is done.

Originally, I was planning to use Futaba 9154 as my aileron servos. However, because the per-cut servo openings on the wing were too small, only the 9550 and the 9650 would fit, and I decided on the 9550 because it has more torque. The only thing I'm a little apprehensive with the 9550 is the metal gear. In addition, instead of using the push rods, horns and clevises that came with the plane, I decided to use the old trusted MK parts with carbon push rods and titanium ends.

I applied 15" epoxy onto the sides of the two wing halves, this include the wing joiner. As an added safety, I will apply two very thin stripes of 3" wide fiberglass cloth onto the top and bottom of the wing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96511.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	690988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85912.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	690989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pv53476.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	690990  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A small trick I've learned from Akiba - designer/ builder of my Proline, I glued two thin pieces of foam inside the openings for the servo extension leads to prevent them from falling into the wing by accident, this is particularly useful if you have a one piece wing.

Name:	Nl28750.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	690993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30579.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	690994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot48777.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	690995  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The stabs and ele is also done, I'm using the supplied CA hinges on all moving surfaces. Inside the stabs, there is a short metal tube located in front of the aluminum stab tube for incidence adjustment. 4 hex nuts -top and bottom - located inside the leading edge of the stabs control the pivoting.

Since the stabs already has two pre-drilled holes for the mounting screws, I want to suggest to World's to also pre-drill the holes on the stab tube to save us time.

Name:	Om33582.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	691009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35675.jpg 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	691010  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm now getting ready to install the fin and the rudder.

As seen on the stab pix, there are pre-cut slots on the top and the back of the fuse's tail - for the installation of the fin and the rudder post.

Stay tuned ...

Name:	Us53417.jpg 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	691011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs59729.jpg 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	691012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va71071.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	691013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke91470.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	691014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ny27993.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	691015  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fw27606.jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	691016  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good info.!---We will be VERY interested in the balance issue---Thanks Adrian---

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats the status????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats the status????
    undefined

Sorry, nothing new, been practicing for contests. Will start working again tomorrow nite.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fin and rudder are done. It took a while to fit the fin properly, it wasn't quite perpendicular to the stab initially, and needed some sanding. Also, there was a slight gap between the contact surfaces of the fin and the fuse after installation, an extra bead of 15 minutes epoxy has to be applied.

The tail wheel installation was very straight forward. However, I wish World Models will consider supplying a smaller size tail wheel assembly to save weight.

Name:	Wu60716.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	699116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30769.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	699117  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Main gear and wheel pants are also done. Instead of using the supplied M3 screws, I used the socket head type to prevent stripping while tightening. To add additional strength, I further installed a piece 1"x2", 1/16" gauge carbon fibre strip on top of the legs to spread the load.

The suggested mounting procedures for wheel pants were a bit complicated and fragile. If I follow the instruction, the wheel axle wouldn't even be long enough to go through to the other side of the pant for a secure anchoring. One hard landing can easily bend the axles, damage or even destroy the pants. The only other support is a small nylon screw on the bottom of the axle to hold the pant in place, I ended up modifying the installation process slightly with the wheel axles going through both sides of the pants for a very secure fit. I'm confident it will now sustain a fairly hard landing without doing any damage to either the axles or the pants.

Next step, will be engine mount and fuel tank installation.

Adrian

Name:	Qo41189.jpg 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	699120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95983.jpg 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	699121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw57788.jpg 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	699122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cw63848.jpg 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	699123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It98361.jpg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	699124  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Due to practice, regular maintenance on my Astral, general procrastination and other unforeseen circumstances, this Spot-On project takes a lot longer than I am anticipated.

The supplied 450cc fuel tank from World is the same design as the one for the Groovy 90. However, as you can see from the pix, it has a very short neck. From past experience, I have found the tank leaks from under water pressure testing. Although, I have fixed the problem by applying silicon around the rubber stopper, I didn't want to take a chance this time, and ended up using a 460cc Tettra tank which I have had good result in the past. Since the Tettra has a slightly bigger rubber stopper - try to say that real fast three times in a row - than the World's, I had to enlarge the firewall opening slightly to accommodate the tank's neck. Be advised, you should install the throttle cable nylon sleeve before securing the tank in place, otherwise, you will be creating more work for yourself. Believe me, I have learned it the hard way.

At one point, I was thinking of using a Budd hard idle mount for the project, but decided to go against it. Since the Spot-On has a top and bottom cowling. there is no way I can retrofit a nose ring in the front, unless I order one of those mount with one incorporated. Besides, I really wanted to try their anti-vibration mount. This design is similar to Dave Brown's Vibra-Damp T-beam mounts with sport rail. Unfortunately, the World's mount is extremely heavy. Between the actual mount and the supplied hardware, it came in as a whopping 8.6 oz, I got the feeling this 120 will not have the same tail heavy problem as the original batch of Groovy 90.

Name:	Hf10147.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	703806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78235.jpg 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	703807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw56981.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	703808  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since I have had no experience on the World's mount, I will refrain from making any judgment until I can spend some time on it, and the only other comment I would like to make at this time besides the weight issue is the installation process is a bit time consuming.

Because of the thickness of the beams, it pretty much cover up the whole firewall area, and the only way you can have a straight linear throttle cable connection is to drill a hole on the beam for the nylon sleeve and cable to pass through per one of my pix.

Name:	Hf97561.jpg 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	703809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65211.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	703810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af89352.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	703811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mg98798.jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	703812  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As mentioned before, the actual engine installation wasn't that complicated but just time consuming, especially the throttle cable.

Name:	Ki20344.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	703813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zv66778.jpg 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	703814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns45260.jpg 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	703815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13000.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	703816  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally, I was thinking of using a wooden push rod with a fork in the back for connection to the elevator horns, similar to my Astral XX. However, upon closer inspection, I notice I have to cut open the fuse's bottom covering and some of the formers inside for the installation. After some contemplating, I decided to use the World's elevator push rod system, which has a similar design to the DEPS. Two nylon rods were already installed inside the fuselage; all you need to do is to fit the two threaded carbon push rods into a linkage connector, connect it to the elevator servo, and you are done. The only problem for this system I have noticed so far is the push rod existing point is too far away from the horns, thus, creating too much vibration. To solve the problem, I will probably install a small wooden block under the stabs as a push rod brace. However, if its still not satisfactory, and depending on where the cg is, I will probably install two elevator servos on the outside of the fuse instead.

Next step, rudder servo/ cable, top and bottom cowlings. Hopefully, I will get it done in the next two evenings.

Adrian

Name:	Nl29511.jpg 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	703829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47489.jpg 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	703830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gm22093.jpg 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	703831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke91316.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	703832  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello riot3d:
    Great detail! I have put together the Spot-On 50 and I have been posting some of my pictures on a similar forum. I can tell you that the Spot-On 50 is the best plane I have so far. I know there is no way to compare both, but I just wanted to let you know how the smaller one flew. I am thinking about the 120 after looking at your progress. I have a question about picture #3...I can see the set-up for the elevator...what I do not get is the "tubing" showing in the background...what are they for?

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DUCATI996

Hello riot3d:
    Great detail! I have put together the Spot-On 50 and I have been posting some of my pictures on a similar forum. I can tell you that the Spot-On 50 is the best plane I have so far. I know there is no way to compare both, but I just wanted to let you know how the smaller one flew. I am thinking about the 120 after looking at your progress. I have a question about picture #3...I can see the set-up for the elevator...what I do not get is the "tubing" showing in the background...what are they for?

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress
    The two nylon tubings act as sleeves/support for the rudder cable, I'm planning to install a piece of 1/16 light ply across the fuse, right behind the rudder servo as a brace, will post pix soon.

I was hoping to continue working on the plane this past weekend. Unfortunately, there are some issues on my Astral that require immediate attention. Hopefully, I can start working on the Spot-On again by Thursday.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The rudder cable installation is done, the process is very straight forward. As mentioned on my previous post, I installed a piece of 1/16" thickness 4"x1" light ply right behind the rudder servo to act as a brace for the rudder cable and antenna nylon sleeves. Next step, header/ pipe and cowling installation.

Name:	Ig11887.jpg 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	707776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23430.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	707777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vb74032.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	707778  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Riot3d:

Thank You for the tip. I would like to show you some pictures of my radio set-up. I knew that my airplane was going to be nse heavy so move the radio as far as I could. Here a two pictures of the set-up. Hope this helps you on your set-up. From the picture I just notice that you can not tell, but the batery and the radio are actually under the Rudder servo tray( to the left and to the right of the servo).

Name:	Pn37488.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	707909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bx74202.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	707910  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DUCATI996

Riot3d:

Thank You for the tip. I would like to show you some pictures of my radio set-up. I knew that my airplane was going to be nse heavy so move the radio as far as I could. Here a two pictures of the set-up. Hope this helps you on your set-up. From the picture I just notice that you can not tell, but the batery and the radio are actually under the Rudder servo tray( to the left and to the right of the servo).
    Thx, good suggestion. I have the feelin' mine will be nose heavy as well, will know in the next few evenings.

I've notice you're using the same ele push rod system. May I suggest wrapping some thin threads around that linkage connector, then, CA the threads to prevent the two halves from coming loose by accident.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a bit of a problem mounting the wing. Apparently, the Tettra fuel tank is slightly too long, preventing the wing dowel from fitting into the slot properly. Fortunately, I was visiting World Models one afternoon to pick up some spare parts, the owner and my good friend Fai helped me to fix the problem. He also gave me some pointers on building procedures, and I in turn suggested to him on areas that needs to be improved on.

Originally, I was planning to use the newer style NMP header. Since it requires to cut off too much of both the top and bottom cowlings, I decided to use the older style. However, if it creates too much heat, I will switch to the other one. Pipe wise, it's a Johnson pipe, and I always have had good result with them. I also use two pipe soft mount, one in front, and one at the end.

Name:	Ge96805.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	711376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12852.jpg 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	711377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg91761.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	711378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf93944.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	711379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sd44592.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	711380  

Name:	Ka42737.jpg 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	711381  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The front cowling came in two separate pieces - top and bottom. World also supplied two transparent top and bottom dummy cowling so you can cut and trim them to fit the shape of the nose before you actually trim the real one, a very clever and useful tool. Unfortunately, since the rear bottom of the fuse is flat instead of round, World decided to make the bottom cowl mostly flat as well, which proves to be a very time consuming process when you try to make it fit over the engine and the pipe, especially on the YS 140L, and I ended up cutting quite a bit on both the front and back of the cowl. If World didn't supply us with the dummy cowling, I would have had an even tougher time getting it to fit properly.

Name:	Db85827.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	711383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48475.jpg 
ID:	711384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58085.jpg 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	711385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Un33615.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	711386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vg55107.jpg 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	711387  

Name:	Ne54457.jpg 
ID:	711388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gi84345.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	711389  

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast