Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: World Models Spot-On 120

Attention Spot On 120 owners, would any one of you be kind enough to measure the length from the firewall to the back of the tuned-pipe channel? I need to know how much room I'll have, and how long a pipe I'll be able to fit.
    Thanks,
    Straight Up

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I ended up using my old 110 and 14X10 APC with a MAC flex pipe. That was a mistake, and pain in the butt, I immediately put the stock YS muffler on. Everything else is completly stock (first time that I can remember not upgrading all HW). I started with batteries all the way forward under the fuel tank. They are now verticle right in front of the receiver, which is just ahead of the servos (just like the book). In any case at this point I only have to think dwn ele for inverted. Slow rolls are fantastic. KE it pulls to the canopy. It also pulled to the canopy on the downline. I raised the ele incidence and that cured that. Still pulls hard to left on the upline. I'm fairly new to pattern myself and still learning how to set up a pattern correctly. Only have about 10 flights so far.
    Can I fix the pull to canopy on knife edge without mixing? I know how to mix, just don't want to start untill I know I've done everthing possible with the HW.
    Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How was the power with the 110? Did you have a chance to weigh it?
    Avoid zen aerobatics...when the ground........and the plane.......become as one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

8lb 7oz and that includes 3/4 oz sitting on the right wing tip for lateral, also no canopy, cowling, or wheel pants yet. I'll try to do a CG measurement this weekend, but seems to be dead on (for me). Will probably have to change slightly when all the plastic is mounted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I purchased a Spot-On 120 at the AMA show. Thanks for the information you have posted so far, it is a good read and very helpful.

-Richard.
    AMA # 4628

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 110 works, but no spare power. I have no trouble with KE and most other manuvers, but it doesn't have a great deal of verticle, just enough to do a proper stall turn.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RichardF

I purchased a Spot-On 120 at the AMA show. Thanks for the information you have posted so far, it is a good read and very helpful.

-Richard.

Congratulations and enjoy, sorry I didn't have a chance to meet you at the booth.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

djr1007,

First flight today on my Spot On 120 with a YS 110S and the stock muffler. New engine, ran a few tankfuls through on the ground using an APC 15x8, Magnum #2 fuel. Running quite rich, its turning about 94-9500. Surprisingly, the idle is very good for a new engine, around 2300. The high nitro helps.

Most noticeable on the flight was the need for right rudder trim. After takoff, it started a flat left turn, much more than I've experienced before. When I landed, I had about 3/16" to 1/4" of right rudder delection. Little or no elevator or aileron trim. I have the CG set about 31% MAC and that seemed fine - very little down stick required for inverted flight. I may need some rt wing tip weight to keep the loops from corkscrewing to the left. But that could be elevator trim - need a few more flights to be sure.

Plenty of power, most of the flight at half throttle or less. I think the 15x8 is not enough load for that engine - will try a 15x10 next time. Would like to use a 16x8, but worry about ground clearance. With my wonderful landing skills, they'd end up as 15x8s anyway.

Any thoughts about the rudder trim appreciated.

Jack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: acrojack202

Any thoughts about the rudder trim appreciated.

Jack
    Check your fin again to make sure it's indeed 90 degrees to the stab

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jack,

Does the plane turn left with the same gusto at idle? If not, perhaps you are lacking some right thrust.

good luck,
    Mark
    NSRCA 3656
    www.NSRCA.us
    www.insightrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Find the prop you like the most, then add right thrust.
    Avoid zen aerobatics...when the ground........and the plane.......become as one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jack:
    Sounds exactly like what I had (especially on the up line). I put a standard washer #8 under the left side of the mount and that pretty much cleaned things up. FYI, I'm running YS110FS, 14X10 APC, on Byrun's 20/20 YS fuel. Not sure exactly why, but the last two weekends I've been getting all the verticle I needed, I was even able to pull out of a hover without problem (I know, but I had to see if it would). KE loop is really doggy and have to work hard for it, but it will go over.
    Finally, I did have to put 3 squares of lead on the right wing tip.
    I'm really starting to like this plane, yesterday we had about 15MPH wind and I had little trouble correcting (BTW, I'm basic level, so this is pretty good for me).
    Have a good one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Checked lateral balance again and added about 1/2oz to the right wing tip. Also checked vertical stab, horiz stab and wing alignment - all ok. Also found I was running a 15x10 ... don't know why I thought it was a 15x8. I'll try a 15x12 next. Would like to keep the RPM around 9000 or less. A little more right thrust may be the answer. As suggested, I'll settle on a prop first.

Weather here sucks - either to cold, windy or snowing. Not sure when I'll get to fly again.

Jack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Due to my own oversight and carelessness, I nearly lost the Spot-On this afternoon.

After airborned, I noticed the plane required some up trim, and it also needed quite a bit of down ele for the outside loop. Then, the plane started to climb by itself as if I gave it too much up trim. After landing, I noticed there were quite a bit of up trim on the ele itself, but my Tx only showed a small amount of up electronically. I proceed to readjust the trim back to neutral both electronically and mechanically and took off for the second flight. Again, within minutes after some inverted maneuvers, the plane started to climb again, and this time it was worse. Even after I throttle back, the plane continued to climb. Luckily, it was calm day, and I ended up landing the plane without any incident.

Again, it showed quite a bit of up ele trim on the plane. After scratching my head for a few minutes in the pit area, I decided to check the ele linkage itself. Upon close inspection, I noticed the push rod in the front where it attaches to the servo arm was slipping out of the retainer box.

Before I go any further, I would like to remind you that I'm using the ele set up supplied by Worlds, which consists of one short and two long rods. The short one connects to the servo arm and the two long one connects to the servo horns. It also has a small box like retainer clip to act as a connector for the three rods - see pix. However, you are suppose to make a "L" shape bend at the end of the three rods to fit into the retainer's pre-drilled holes so the rods will not slip out of the retainer. Unfortunately, since I was in a rush to complete the project, I completely overlooked this important step. The whole time I was flying, the front linkage kept slipping forwards and backwards from the retainer, hence the reason why it required a great deal of up trim plus down ele for the outside loop.

Anyway, hind sight is always 20/20. All I can say is, do not take anything for granted. Even though, I have installed equipment on quite a number of planes, but each installation is different than the other. I was very lucky that the plane didn't crash, all I can say is, someone was looking after me.

If any of you guys is using, or, planning to use the same ele system, be sure not to make the same mistake.

Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30233.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	896686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hd94811.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	896687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hn25225.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	896688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf94219.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	896689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fq90113.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	896690  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Riot,
    Thanks for the heads up! I know I didn't make the bend. I'll look, but I'd bet there is nothing in the instructions, I should have looked closer at the box. It took me two nights to figure out how the incidence adjusters work on the stab (never haveing seen or used any type before). I also could not for the life of me figure out that engine mount. I got frustrated and just mounted my 110 like any other mount (except I had to shim the engine up about a 1/8" to keep the center line and alignment with the cowl.
    Cowl, that is another thing. screw two pieces of fiberglass together? yea, that worked real great for about 2 minutes.
    I'm continueing to fly without the cowl or bottom piece.
    But all in all, I don't care! this is the best pattern plane I've owned so far. The Spot on is making me look better than I am.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, you have to look pretty close to the diagram for the correct installation, and I have related my concern to Fai Chan - my good friend and part owner of World - and he'll forward my suggestion to the head office.

As for the cowls, it's a bit time consuming. However, as long as you use the two supplied clear cowlings for trial fitting before the actual installation, it's a pretty straight forward process. In addition, be sure to install small wooden blocks along the screw openings.

Adrian

Name:	If10542.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	896827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12635.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	896828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv55794.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	896829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zt52597.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	896830  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The flinton Inspire 90 is almost the same size as this spot on, but it is placed in a 90 size according to there website...
    Is the spot on 120 a better flyer?
    Anyone comment on this?

Thanks
    Justin
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Riot:
    Back up blocks! DUH
    Yes, I do love it when they give you the clear copies to get your cut outs just right.
    I just can't believe I didn't think of glueing some blocks in where the 2 cowls screw together. I'm going out and putting them back on right now!~
    THANKS.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought about using a os 1.20 AX w/a full length tuned alum pipe....

Something I just thought of is that, because the wings are joined/epoxied together:

1. Every time I went to the field to fly this plane, I would have to take the tuned pipe OFF the engine in order to be able to
    remove the wing????????????????/

I think this was talked about before///

Is it possible to slide the wing off w/o removing the tuned pipe from it's mounts and engine???

Or could it be made into a removable wing configuration??????????

Justin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kochj

I thought about using a os 1.20 AX w/a full length tuned alum pipe....

Something I just thought of is that, because the wings are joined/epoxied together:

1. Every time I went to the field to fly this plane, I would have to take the tuned pipe OFF the engine in order to be able to
    remove the wing????????????????/

I think this was talked about before///

Is it possible to slide the wing off w/o removing the tuned pipe from it's mounts and engine???

Or could it be made into a removable wing configuration??????????

Justin

Justin,

Yes, you can slide the wing off without removing the pipe, I posted a couple of pix on post 51. All you need to do is to install a pipe mount on the wing where the stinger is, and use a plastic tide.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply.....
    That really helps knowing that....!!!

Justin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ALso, I have used the dave B. hush mount before...
    It eleiminates the need to replace the zip ties....
    You use the rubber ring and slips on and off...

Name:	Gd93579.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	898981  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finished my Spot On last night, with OS120 AX, two Futaba 9650, in the rear of the fuselage and Hyde C type mount .
    RPM figures on APC 15 x12 ,9100, on my own 15 percent fuel ,with Cool Power Synthetic,and running really rich.
    15 x 11 or 15 x 12 might be better.
    Flew fine with suggested control throws.
    CG was about 5mm in front of the suggested mark ,needed a little up trim to fly hands off level.
    Will move cg back a little to try and get rid of the up trim.
    Landings were slow and gentle.
    Good value for money.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was looking through the World Models 2008 catalog today, and at the top of the "last minut additions" pages in the back there was a spot on 120...in different colors. It wasn't part of the announcements, but more of a background image. It was Orange, white, and dark purple.

Very nice looking, much better than the current one I.M.O.

Now I wonder if they actually plan to release a different color scheme, or if it was just someone being artistic on the computer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it on there Online cataloge?

Justin

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast