Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: World Models Spot-On 120

ORIGINAL: mehmet1846

Dear Adrian,

I'm using Futaba 4 cell 1500 mAh Ni-Cd battery. But I will change it 2 cell Li-Po 7.4 V 1000 mAh and 5.1 V regulator.

Ni-Cd battery is 120 gr. Li-Po and regulator is 70 gr.

The pretty heavy is about landing gear strenghtening parts and lamination epoxy.Buy in the future I will make them because the frame

is not strong.In needs these reinforcements for long life...

Regards

Mehmet

You can further reduce weight by replacing the engine mount mounting screws from their M4 steel to aluminium.

Granted, modern pattern plane tends to flow quite a bit on landing, but this one actually lands very slow, and I don't foresee any problem in the landing gear area. Of course, if you have a super hard landing ... You can also install a thin strip of carbon fibre across the top of the mounting point to spread out the weight. In addition, you can program "airbrake function" on your radio. I have had days when I had to land with 90 degrees cross wind. However, as soon as I deploy the airbrake, I can pretty much drag it in for landing, give it a try.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Adrian,

Today I made the maiden flight.The stab is -0,5 degrees,the wing is 0 degrees ( Other words,0 degrees stab and + 0.5 degrees wing),down thrust is -1.3 degrees.The plane is beaitiful.it needs 3 step right aileron trim.In knife edge slightly goes to canopy on one side only.I mixed it and now it is OK.Vertical up and down lines straight.

My engine is YS 140 Sport and custom made header only.Overall dry weight is 4686 gr.
    I used 16x12 APC and 20/20 YS fuel.The RPM is 8700.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23380.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	929685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16365.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	929686  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Adrian,

Today I made the maiden flight.The stab is -0,5 degrees,the wing is 0 degrees ( Other words,0 degrees stab and + 0.5 degrees wing),down thrust is -1.3 degrees.The plane is beaitiful.it needs 3 step right aileron trim.In knife edge slightly goes to canopy on one side only.I mixed it and now it is OK.Vertical up and down lines straight.

My engine is YS 140 Sport and custom made header only.Overall dry weight is 4686 gr.
    I used 16x12 APC and 20/20 YS fuel.The RPM is 8700.

Good to know your maiden flight was a success, congratulations.

So, it went from 4,457 to 4,686 g, what went wrong?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Adrian,

The weight changed after header and receiver installation .I used rubber foam for receiver positioning at the under side of the rudder servo tray.There is so many extension cables.I insulated receiver these cables in that area possibilities.The other factor is whells .

I changed all whells with Kavan ones.Because in one night all whells was crushing up to the rims.I used Kavan whells.

Regards

Mehmet

Name:	Us52861.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	930424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99295.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	930425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu52849.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	930426  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I changed all whells with Kavan ones.Because in one night all whells was crushing up to the rims.I used Kavan whel

Ok, you can also try Tettra wheels, they are pretty light weight and usually stay in shape.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok Adrian,I will find from web and change them.The Central Hobbies is good supplier for pattern products but they don''t work and ship to TURKEY so we have a big problem to find pattern products...

Regards

Mehmet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mehmet ,the C type mount doesnt need a nose ring.I have 15 litres of fuel through mine now and have ended up with some more side thrust, a 3mm pacer behind the motor mount,still wants to turn left on take off and still wants to gently pull out of a dive,with the cg right on the recommended mark,landings are slow, nose high and gentle.Will try adjusting tp incidence to get rid of the pulling out of the dive tendency.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ya'all,

Been looking at the pictures of the engine and header installs for the spot on 120 with YS140's....

Am about to receive my Spot on 120 in prolly a week or so.

Plan is to install the YS DZ140. Prolly overkill on this setup, but the only engine i've got.

I'm about to put in the shopping cart for the Hatori Header and deciding between #822 or #823.

#822 is 25mm offset and #823 is 10mm offset. From the pics i've seen, will the #823 suffice?? to clear the bottom pan.

Thanks....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yellow_grey

Hey Ya'all,

Been looking at the pictures of the engine and header installs for the spot on 120 with YS140's....

Am about to receive my Spot on 120 in prolly a week or so.

Plan is to install the YS DZ140. Prolly overkill on this setup, but the only engine i've got.

I'm about to put in the shopping cart for the Hatori Header and deciding between #822 or #823.

#822 is 25mm offset and #823 is 10mm offset. From the pics i've seen, will the #823 suffice?? to clear the bottom pan.

Thanks....

First of all, the 140DZ will definitely be an overkill, not to mention over weight. The L on my Spot-On is 893g, and the 140DZ is 935g. If possible, I suggest ordering a 140 Sport. In addition, be careful with the extra torque of the DZ, the airframe may not be able to handle it.

Also, it will not be easy to install a 822, or 823 header with 821 short pipe. Because the bottom chin cowl is flat.

Good luck,

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Riot3d,

Thanks for the heads up... wow u r fast!! I know i'll have to do some structural strengthening and weights on the tail.... at least until i get a sport engine.

Btw if the short pipe and header is not a workable option, do you think it will go with the Hatori #795 or #796. I don't have any experience on these - whats the difference between inside and outside?? They're flexible from what i can see.... and perhaps can be routed to fit??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Btw if the short pipe and header is not a workable option, do you think it will go with the Hatori #795 or #796.

I could be wrong on this one, but I believe Hatori no longer makes those long flexible header any more. However, if you can find one, it should fit.

My suggestion is to use the NMP header and Johnson pipe from Central Hobbies, a winning combo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: riot3d

Btw if the short pipe and header is not a workable option, do you think it will go with the Hatori #795 or #796.

I could be wrong on this one, but I believe Hatori no longer makes those long flexible header any more. However, if you can find one, it should fit.

My suggestion is to use the NMP header and Johnson pipe from Central Hobbies, a winning combo.
    You are right on that... but there is a nearby hobby shop to Brunei that still stocks these old flexibles.... i believe the 795 and 796's are exhaust pipes... i.e. not header... its the 791's which are the headers.... i was just thinking of going the pipe route without the muffler.... any thoughts on this?

Name:	Ge95052.gif 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	1044710  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you're referring to your attached pix, that's a header, not a pipe. These are the old style header that we used to run with the older 120s and the first generation 140s - the FZ and the L engines. It connects to a long pipe by means of silicon tubing.

I guess you can use just the header part, but you have to deal with the following:-

1) It will be pretty messy with the oil residual
    2) It will be really loud, like running a car with straight through pipe with no muffler
    3) Even though, 4 stroke doesn't require a tuned pipe, a muffler/ pipe do enhance performance
    4) If you do not mount them correctly, say, soft mount them, they will break easily

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: riot3d

If you're referring to your attached pix, that's a header, not a pipe. These are the old style header that we used to run with the older 120s and the first generation 140s - the FZ and the L engines. It connects to a long pipe by means of silicon tubing.

I guess you can use just the header part, but you have to deal with the following:-

1) It will be pretty messy with the oil residual
    2) It will be really loud, like running a car with straight through pipe with no muffler
    3) Even though, 4 stroke doesn't require a tuned pipe, a 4 cycle pipe do enhance performance
    4) If you do not mount them correctly, say, soft mount them, they will break easily
    Thanks for those insights!! This will be my first large size pattern.... last couple being 50 size patterns which have been straightforward setups.....this really is involved though...

Would you have any recommendations on the type of long pipe to match with this flexible header? I will only have the choice of Hatoris as i will be getting these from Singapore. Would the #821 short pipe mate up? as this would be a great upgrade route when i want to put more money on the airframe in future..... then i can reuse back all the engine bits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the bottom cowl being flat, there is not a lot of options to play with.

I suggest using one of those short angled muffler - the one that shapes like a cigar. All you need to do is to cut a hole on the side of the top cowl for the muffler to come out, real simple.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I received the next generation Spot-On from World Models a few weeks before my trip to Hong Kong, and started working on the plane right a way. Originally, I was planning on finishing the plane in two weeks time for a test flight. Unfortunately, due to my busy practice schedule, I couldn't get it done before my departure. Since this is an evolution of the first generation Spot-On, I wasn't planning on a complete build thread. For that, you can check out my previous post, and should you have any question, feel free to contact me.

Although, the model is still under the name Spot-On 120. Realistically, this is actually their "R" version - Revised. Externally, you will not be able to tell much difference. However, if you look closer, you could tell it is slightly smaller than the last one. The fuse and wing span is 40 mm & 20 mm shorter respectively, and the wing area is 0.4 sq dm smaller. The major advantage is you are now able to use a YS 110 with enough power to spare even for the vertical maneuvers. Another reason was, I have expressed to Fai Chan - my good friend and one of the owner of World/ Airborne Models - the lack of suitable engine choice for the original design. If you want to be competitive, you have to find either an older YS 120 size engine, or, use an OS 120 AX. If you use one of the new YS 140 Sport, or, 140L in my case, you will ended up nose heavy. Besides, in Japan, they have a special pattern class dedicated to 110 size plane, and the older 120 was just over the size limit.

Besides a small size reduction, World has also incorporated a few of my suggestions which include the following:-

1) A smaller soft mount to save weight
    2) A round shape bottom chin cowl to accommodate the Hatori header and short pipe
    3) Fuel tank has been relocate to the cg area, rather than right behind the firewall
    4) A one piece wooden push rod for the elevator control

Unfortunately, they are still using the same heavy tail wheel assembly. The same stab adjuster unit, which could stripped very easily with one false move. In addition, the sharp edges on the iron on decoration will still peel easily. Other than that, not much else to complain about. At this point, Fai has not quite work out the pricing yet, but indicated most likely will be the same as the last one. I was really happy with the way the last one turn out, and was more than anxious to get my hands on this one for a test flight.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At this point, I have pretty much completed the building process. All I needed to do is to finish up with the top and bottom cowling, and I'm set for test flight. Only if I can drag my lazy butt off the couch and stop watching one my favorite TV show - BBC's Top Gear - I should be ready sometime next week. Then again, easier said than done ... Here are the list of equipment I am using on the plane, pretty similar to last time but with some variation:-

Engine: YS 110 FZ
    Prop: APC 15x11
    Header: Hatori # 726
    Pipe: Hatori # 725
    Pipe Mount: Nishioka
    Rx: Futaba R6008HS - A brand new rx from Futaba I have just received from my team mates. Similar to the 608FS, but this one has a high speed mode. When you are on HS, response time cuts down from 14 ms to 7 ms, scary
    Ail: S9551
    Ele: S9255
    Rud: S9151
    Thr: S9650
    Battery: 4 cell, 1,500 mAh ni-cd

Construction time was greatly reduced due to familiarity of the model, and steps taken by Worlds. For example, the one piece wing came pre-joined this time, no more gluing and waiting. The bottom has a small orange checkered pattern, instead of the old blue, yellow and pink. Even though, a checkered pattern should improve visibility. However, I don't know whether the smallish checker board is good enough, will find out in a few days. Instead of using World's ail push rod, I chose to use my own trusty set up - MK servo horns, clevis and Central Hobbies carbon fibre rod and titanium rod ends - just like last time.

Engine, header and pipe installation was pretty easy. Even though, the bottom cowl is curved this time instead of flat, I have the feeling it still does not have enough room for the pipe clearance. In addition, the end of the pipe was hitting one of the former, and I have to grind off some of the wood material.

Name:	Vt57765.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	1168384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34110.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	1168385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch97176.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	1168386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf94877.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1168387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju11866.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	1168388  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hx32859.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	1168389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hj86649.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	1168390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wv73892.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	1168391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd62423.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	1168392  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fin and stab went together without much drama. However, I still don't like their stab adjuster mechanism. As mentioned before, one false move, and you're toasted. Also, I still wish World can pre-drilled those stab tubing, makes life just that much easier.

Since I nearly lost the last one due to oversight on not making a Z bend on the ele push rod, World has decided to address this issue head on with this idiot's stupidity by supplying a more traditional wooden dowel type push rod. They also have pre-installed a piece of light ply across the back of the fuse as an anchor point for the rod. In addition, a small hatch has been added on the bottom of the fuse towards the tail. You can slide the push rod in easily through this hatch, a pretty smart invention.

Installation of engine mount, engine, header and pipe were all straight forward, same goes with the radio gear. However, since I don't like the way how the rx and battery were mounted as suggested by World - stuffed in foam block and install right behind the tank, I decided to build myself a platform out of 1/8" lite ply. It is now much cleaner looking, and more secure. Again, instead of following instruction from World on how to mount the wheel pants, I used my own method.

Name:	Mk26850.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1168405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55333.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1168406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af89373.jpg 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1168407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp41264.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1168408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wh58274.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1168409  

Name:	Ri67929.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	1168410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wy51252.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	1168411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk37326.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	1168412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd62117.jpg 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	1168413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mz16790.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	1168414  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since World has already relocated the tank from behind the firewall to the cg location, it saves me more time by not having to build a platform myself. All I needed to do was to put a piece of thin foam between the deck and the tank for padding, I further installed a small piece of 1/8" lite ply to prop up the back of the tank to ensure it will sit at end slight angle so the clunk will be able to pick up every last drop of fuel. I chose not to use World's tank again, because I have had good luck with the Tettra 460cc even under the high pressure YS system.

As I never like World's dark blue canopy, I used one of my old clear one again. And since I have always think a cockpit under a clear canopy without a pilot figure looks really weird, I installed one of old trusty one.

By now, everything is done, except the top & bottom cowlings. Only time will tell how long before I will get that taking care of, and drag myself out to the field for a test flight.

Stay tuned ...

Adrian

Name:	Da83431.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	1168422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21648.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	1168423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc78123.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	1168424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zt54180.jpg 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	1168425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gr93624.jpg 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	1168426  

Name:	Br11810.jpg 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	1168427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tv39474.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	1168428  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plane's done, those plastic dummy cowlings really saves a lot of time. I have not had a chance to weigh the plane, will do it within the next few days. Hopefully, will have time for test flight early next week.

Will report again.

Name:	Wu60590.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	1169626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je10652.jpg 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	1169627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gm21995.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	1169628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rk23650.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	1169629  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Adrian,

Radarrc has Spot-on 50R and 50N in stock now. Do you know what are the differences with the older plane? Also, do you know when is the new 120 arriving to the store?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Aresti-RCU

Adrian,

Radarrc has Spot-on 50R and 50N in stock now. Do you know what are the differences with the older plane? Also, do you know when is the new 120 arriving to the store?

According to Airborne, the 50R is the original version designed for regular pipe, or, short cigar type muffler. The N is the newer version designed for the short Hatori pipe. Presently, Airborne only has the R version.

The 120R is already here, You can order directly from Airborne, or, you can have your LHS order it for you.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was looking thru this thread because I am building a spot on 50. I wish to thank you for saving 2 planes with your post. I also went thru the directions very carefully and no mention of the bends for the rods to hold place in the coupler for the elevator. I also have a world models extra 330l 60 size and just installed a 20cc gasser, it has the exact same coupler and I had several previous flights on it with no problems. It to has been redone now. Those directions also made no comment about the install of this coupler. Thanks again for your post, It would have been real difficult to land with no elevator control.

rkliemann

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're most welcome.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi I wondering if anyone would be able to help me out I am looking for the landing gear for a spot on 120
    Regards Mark

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast