Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

140RX new rear bearing wont stay in place

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

140RX new rear bearing wont stay in place

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Vyciukas3045

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 140RX new rear bearing wont stay in place

Hello,

Sorry for my english at first. I have a big problem. I have bought a new sealed rear bearing for my OS140RX engine from TH: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWY09&P=ML.
I removed stock bearing without any troubles. Though i think i could slightly overheat crankcase in an owen because it has no temperature indicator. Maybe this could cause such a problem. So now.. new bearing won't stay tight in crankcase and cames out every time I pull out crankshaft. It stays in place only then I put crankcase with bearing in refrigerator for some time. But once it thaws out the story repeats. I have no idea how to fix that bearing in crankcase. I am afraid of heaving spun bearing if i will use my engine. Help please.. And thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:56 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: 140RX new rear bearing wont stay in place

I think you have overheated your engine case. There is no fix for that except to get a new case but you can try using some locktite to set your bearing. It can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work you will still have to get a new case and by the way, if you change your bearings again I would suggest that you use stainless steel bearings. They won't rust on you. Read this article also.

http://www.rcaerobats.net/BearingChanging.htm

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d..._Compounds.htm

ORIGINAL: Vyciukas3045

Hello,

Sorry for my english at first. I have a big problem. I have bought a new sealed rear bearing for my OS140RX engine from TH: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWY09&P=ML.
I removed stock bearing without any troubles. Though i think i could slightly overheat crankcase in an owen because it has no temperature indicator. Maybe this could cause such a problem. So now.. new bearing won't stay tight in crankcase and cames out every time I pull out crankshaft. It stays in place only then I put crankcase with bearing in refrigerator for some time. But once it thaws out the story repeats. I have no idea how to fix that bearing in crankcase. I am afraid of heaving spun bearing if i will use my engine. Help please.. And thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:14 AM
rcflyermike
My Feedback: (5)

I think the EFI bearing is better than the stainless bearing. I have been running on now and have about 200 flights on it and it is still just like new. I didn't have this kind of success with the stainless bearings.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 PM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

You can roughen the case up where the outer race seats with a pin punch or chissel just enough to get a light press fit using loctight with this process will also help I have done this on many applications and it works well to seat the outer race of bearings in housings just make sure to go all the way around the seating surface of the bearing as evenly spaced as you can.

gary
Old 05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
BillB

I'd use Loctite to set the bearing into the case. You want to make sure that the outer bearing race does not rotate in the case. I've had great luck with that bearing. I sold a plane last winter that had almost 300 flights on that bearing.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

If the case is so distorted from overheating as is being speculated, then there's a chance that it's not going to fit the cylinder sleeve properly anymore. If that turns out to be true, there might be worse problems ahead, since heat transfer to the case and fins could be affected if the fit is loose. You might want to check how well it fits.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Vyciukas3045

I fixed the bearing in place with loctite 648. Thanks for the advice for all you guys. But cylinder sleeve does not fit in case as tight as it was before. Does it means I will have serious troubles with engine running? Any suggestions...
Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Legend4

The bearing could be undersize. I would check it and compair it to the old one.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

I don't know how you fix that without buying a new case. I guess you could just run it and see how it goes, but be careful. I think it's possible it could be more susceptible to damage from a lean run if the heat transfer from the sleeve to the case is compromised by the looser fit. Just be careful and maybe it will be fine.