Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making a run at pattern

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
patterndreamer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a run at pattern

Hey Everybody,

Well as most people on here probably do, I've been scanning the pattern forum here on RCU for a while and after a considerable number of flights on my UCD .60 with a ys .91, I'm thinking about making the move up to Pattern class. I've been practicing various manuveurs with my UCD and i've got them down alright, but obviously some of the more stressful manuveurs can't be done well with it. So I wanted everyone here's opinion on a 2m plane for me. I'm considering either the Black Magic vf3 or maybe the Aeroslave Symphony, or any other suggestions you all might have.

Thanks alot,

Patternd
Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Making a run at pattern

http://centralhobbies.com/PatternKits/focus2.htm
Old 06-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Seeing as you have a YS91 I might suggest the Focus Sport from Piedmont Models. Soon to be released. If you don't mind buying a larger engine then the Focus2 is a killer airplane.

Once you fly a Pattern plane you'll understand how badly most sport airplanes fly.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 AM
Rendegade

All I would say is DONT DO IT!.

Once you actually fly a pattern plane you'll find it near impossible to go back and be satifisied with anything else... After that your whole world will be devoted to pattern. Friends you've known your whole life will sprout forth with statements of "you've changed man".

You will henceforth never be able to stomach regular beer, food or aircraft.
Your workshop wont ever be equipped enough
your finishing jobs won't ever be good enough.
your rolls and snaps wont ever be tight enough...
those loops wont ever be round enough...

It will change the way you live your life.

there's no going back, you'll have to ride it out.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:48 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

My simple suggestion. Just attend a pattern contest that is close to your location. I see that you live in California. There is a lot of pattern activity in California. Take the time to meet the pattern pilots and ask them questions. If you feel that you are ready to fly the Sportsman schedule, I also suggest that you participate in a contest using the plane you have now. Finally, try to check other pattern pilots that will be willing to help you. In this way, you will be able to make the correct decision.

Regars,

Vicente "Vince" Bortone
Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
patterndreamer

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice, not so much on rendegade's. Anyway, I've been flying some sportsman manveurs with the UCD and I've gone to a pattern event.

Patternd
Old 06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Rendegade

Sorry I should have put a big "sarcastic" face or something at the bottom. It was a tongue in cheek look at pattern.

But, I'm not lying about pattern changing the way you fly, and the way you set your aircraft up. You'll demand more from every airplane, every flight, and demand more from yourself.

If they're bad things to do for yourself then consider me a mutliple offender.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 PM
patterndreamer

I know, I got the intent of the comment. I like pattern because it will teach me to get more out of other planes and just keeps pushing you farther as you do more.

Patternd
Old 06-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Rendegade

Exactly! I can't remember ever taking off without some purpose in mind.

When I was learning it was to get that turn right or fly towards myself confidently.

then it was to land right,

now, it's get that rolling circle sorted, or something else.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:26 AM
MikeRuth

PattenDreamer, good day to you,

I would assume since your in Northridge that your flying at the basin. I do to. have we met? Names Mike and I'm one of the few out there with a long ponytail. Referd to as "ponytail mike" at Hobby People.
Anyways, I have been flying more electric on the north end, the guy flying the wild Easy glider" flying it like a pattern ship. But I am working on getting my Exceleron 90 trimmed out. I also fly a Exceleron 50 as well, always pit on the north end.

It would be nice to meet up some time, share secrets etc.

Anyways in regards to pattern taking over your life, I tend to agree, I was hooked into it big time in 1977 for several years, then realized it was more of a job at that point. Like said above, always working on something, I broke away for a while, Just upped and quit, now with the electric stuff i find myself more balanced and always having fun when I go out. I'd like to compete again, but family issues keep me on edge of major changes in the future so I haven't gone off the deep end back in to it.

But I'm really enjoying flying pattern again. I'd sure like to see more folks at the basin get into it and maybe get the Valley Flyers to host a contest again, they have a ton of reasons for not doing it, but with enough interest from locals wanting it, I think it could be done. We have a one of the country's greatest sites for it.

Anyways feel free to PM anytime. and good luck with a plane selection, A BM V3 is definetly in my future but that will wait. that's just not in the budget right now.

I've heard good things about the Focus on the forum.

Mike R

Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
patterndreamer

Thanks for the further replies everybody,

Mike, just need to sort out a time to meet up there. I'm just buying my summer supply of fuel for the ucd so whenever is good for you, it would be good to see someone else at the basin flying pattern besides the japanese fellows i always seem to end up near, nice guys but not much into talking to other people.

patternd
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
foxhills36

anyone have thoughts of the Surpass Nitro 90 for beginers???
Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
patterndreamer

I'll answer this. It's a good first 4-stroke. Easier to tune than a YS or Saito and produces decent power. Depending on your application and size of it, its a good motor. Next time you have a question like this, please create a seperate thread, or place it in a forum like the engine forum.

Patternd
Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

I just listed my Icepoints in the classifieds. .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=294201
Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I like about pattern planes is that they SPOIL you. There is nothing wrong with a UCD, but it is designed as a compromise for
3-D flying or aerobatics. Personally, I fly SPA, (Senior Pattern Assoc), it is my little niche in R/C. Even the oldest pattern planes of the mid to late 60s were designed to fly silky-smooth, and hold their heading until you tell them otherwise. A PROPERLY TRIMMED pattern plane is an absolute JOY to fly---you will wonder why you ever were happy wrestling short-coupled sport planes around the sky. Even if you are not interested in competition, (and I know you are), they STILL are a joy to fly as a "sport" plane. Also, the larger they are, the better they seem to fly, and the more graceful they seem to appear tracing out the maneuvers.

I totally agree with Renegade in that you should always fly with a purpose, and precision, (emphasis on precision), pattern fulfills that purpose for many of us. There is always a challenge--something to work on and practice, largely because of the upcoming contest in front of the judges, you have that incentive to get out there and burn fuel in the pursuit of perfection. You will QUICKLY become a better pilot because you MUST put the plane in a certain place at a certain time, not just "frog around" wherever the plane happens to be with random loops and rolls.

Once you become more accomplished, you have the JOY, (there's that word again), and satisfaction of watching your own plane perform those beautiful, graceful maneuvers to perfection. My personal favorites in SPA are either the Reverse or "regular" Cuban Eight, and the Double Stall Turn. To watch the plane just "hang there" for a moment during the stall, then kick over into a perfect downline, and repeat it on the other side is truly a beautiful sight.

Just a short plug for my upcoming article in Model Aviation about SPA competition--it is a follow-up to my original May 2006 introductory article on SPA and VR/CS. The second will be a major article in the July issue, and hopefully will be enjoyable to all pattern, and potential pattern flyers. Please look out for it, and hope you enjoy it.

I would appreciate your comments.

Duane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31829.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	699226  
Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
patterndreamer

Thanks for the heads up on the article Duane,

I actually have a SPA legal aircraft waiting for me to build. I have the Enya .60 all ready for it, but that will be more for practice than anything, and a good counter-point to the 2m plane. I will keep an eye out in MA for your article and thanks for your thoughts on pattern.

Patternd
Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the King Altair, ("king" of a series of planes named "Altair"--for the star), pictured above has an 80 INCH WINGSPAN as drawn on the plans that appeared in the 4/67 RCM. That really made it stand out back in the mid to late 60s. The plane above is a "clipped wing" version with a 74" span. It will fly well, (though not unlimited vertical) on the standard .91 4-stroke engine most SPA pilots use.

This design was way ahead of its time, and according to more expert pilots than myself, it FLYS and HANDLES LIKE a first generation
2-meter plane. It's very graceful and impressive looking in the air. It will be kitted soon as a laser-cut kit by Jeff Petroski at
www.homeandhobbysolutions.com under "Future Kits". I can't recommend this plane highly enough, as my RCU name gives away. It will be available as a full kit and a short kit for those who would prefer a foam wing sometime this summer.

Duane
Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Rendegade

That's the other good bit, something for everyone.

Love that King altair too.

Brilliantly done.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:27 AM
patterndreamer

Hey,

I'm looking at my super kaos in my garage, maybe build it soon. anyway, I was out at the field thursday, and someone had a symphony with a YS 1.60DZ. I asked a him a few questions and he simply told me it was the second best flying plane in the world, only thing better has to be ordered from france, of course zn-line. So, its kind of bouncing around as to what I'll do, I'm taking my bit of vacation time to hang around the field and check out what the few local, including Mike, are running here, power and plane wise.

From,

Patternd