Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

PATTERN PILOTS--IS SPA FOR YOU??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PATTERN PILOTS--IS SPA FOR YOU??

I wanted to make all of you pattern pilots aware of a new article in the latest issue, (July), of Model Aviation magazine. Looking for a different type of aerobatic flying--then this may be of interest to some of you----- the Senior Pattern Association, (SPA). Could SPA be right for you? As I said in my first article for Model Aviation back in May 2006, there is stereotype way of thinking out there that all SPA pilots are a bunch of crusty old "&$%" who get together, relive the past, and fly their old relics. It is true that SPA was originally formed to remember the era of early pattern history where planes were more simple, inexpensive, and "Turnaround" wasn't even thought of, but things have changed over SPA's 15 year history. The emphasis is still on simple, fun, and inexpensive competition, but now pilots of many different backgrounds are getting involved, regardless of age, including younger competitors without direct knowledge of the vintage aircraft used in competition. The competition is very real, but doesn't involve NEARLY the investment needed to be competitive in today's pattern.

We have many pilots who fly both AMA and SPA--but for different reasons---find out why. If you have even the slightest interest in finding out more about what you've heard or read about on RCU pattern forums, give the article a try, and let me know what you think.

Personally I am interested in EVERY form of precision aerobatics--it's just a joy to watch a beautifully done maneuver regardless of the plane involved, or the venue---there is no right or wrong--there are only different areas of interest and specialization.

See if SPA just might be for you!

Duane Wilson
Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM
jquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PATTERN PILOTS--IS SPA FOR YOU??

Hey Duane,

Did you ever get to do your revisited SPA Article? I had not seen it yet.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PATTERN PILOTS--IS SPA FOR YOU??

JQUID--The SPA article is in the next issue, (July), and yes, there is a mention of BPA, with a reference to your website!!

As we have discussed, I don't think there should be ANYTHING but good relations between SPA and BPA if we keep in mind that the beauty of aerobatics is the primary focus, and there is no right or wrong, or best or worst when it comes to what type of airplane to fly. I make the statement that ALL pattern planes since the early 60s have been specifically designed to fly smoothly and beautifully without having to make lots of corrections to wrestle the plane around the sky. The main differences between aerobatic planes are speed, size, and power, (limited or unlimited)----the end result in every case is a precise, beautiful maneuver.

I just called Model Aviation, and the July issue in most cases hasn't been delivered yet, but be looking for it.

If you would like someone to "cover" the BPA contest, and write an article to submit, I'd be happy to do it. Let me know.

All the best;

Duane