Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Black Magic VF3 Build Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Black Magic VF3 Build Thread

Spent today finishing the new V2.2 - that is going electric - The plane minus the e-power should be under 6 lbs, including radio, etc. So I should have very close to 5 pounds to play with for power setups. I am first trying to run this plane with the AXI 5320/28 sized motors and 3700 and 4500 packs, flying 19 - 20" props.

I should be able to get the other colors on the plane sunday. I've got the motor on order now. Sorry that the vf3 thread is moved to the side burner. I'll be back on it soon

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43525.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	740159  
Old 08-12-2007, 02:49 PM
handglider

I finished the main base colors on the V2 today. I've got some color sanding and touch up to do. I have a new set of fire dragon spray masks. I'll be doing some airbrush work with red, orange and yellow candy paints. Plus graphics and vinyl. This plane should make weight with the AXI FAI motor and 4500s, and should be about 10 1/2 with the smaller axi motor.

Not sure yet if this is going to go electric or get my DZ 140 yet. Should be under 10 lbs with the DZ.

okay - okay, back soon to VF3

Name:	Qo41299.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	740738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95979.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	740739  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
handglider

HI All,

Here is a quick update, my wife and I have had our moms visiting with us for the last 3 weeks. The little shop time that I've had been spent painting that other plane (the v2.2). Our mom's are leaving next week and I'll be back at it on the build thread.

I did manage to trim out the cowling. What I do is mark about a 3/8" lip around the bottom opening and about a 1/4" lip around the front opening. Use the Dremel Tile Cutting bit. It's a very course cutting teeth and really does the best job on the s-glass that Mike uses on these cowls. I finish off with the 1/2" drum sander.

On the bottom opening leave a band across the back of the bottom opening, that will help in fitting the cowl from distorting when fitting it to the front of the fuse.

I'll be doing the DEPS installation and buttoning up the fuse asap when I get some time, next week.

cheers!

Name:	Mk25102.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	743540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20233.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	743541  
Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you decide to go DEPS instead of two servos in the elevator halves for any particualer reason?

I went two servos on my V2 but have a complete DEPS system in the bag that might find it's way into my next plane if I can see a good reason to use it.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 PM
handglider

hey pete..

I am all flippy floppy right now about the deps or two servos, I've also totally re thunk going electric anytime soon... So I think my second vf3 will have two servos as it's quicker to build.

You know flying electric is a lot like buying an apple computer - yea the batteries maybe getting better but I have yet to see that promise of a lower price point for the batts. Oh I've heard all the stories over the last 3 years of better and cheaper batts - but yea - when will that price point get cheaper - they actually seem to be getting more expensive. I either need a really great sponsor or a sugar momma.

I put my first VF3 on the scales the other day - the complete airframe is at 4 lbs 3 oz ready for fiberglass/finish - it could go electric - but I think I am going to stay with the DZ

I am about to get all over this build thread again and I am real close to finishing that v2 I've been painting on for the last month. I think I am up to 7 colors on the fuse right now. Time to put down the Iwata and shoot some clear dammit

also stay tuned for a little black magic foamy action

later all.....
Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seven colors!!!!!!!!

You need a support group dude.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 AM
handglider

Iwata anonymous ???

Yea it's actually up to 7 at the moment and I am trying my best to resist the urge......

Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 PM
BrianB
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, My VF3 flew this afternoon, had a dead stick first try due to new motor and rich mixture, second fly went ok but still rich. Third flight was the charm with motor running great and the plane felt good. Going to get a few more on her Sat. and alot more on Sunday!! Here is a few pictures of her at the field today. Thanks for the help Billy and if your a good boy I might let you fly her, ha ha. Hope to fly her and show her off to the D3 gang at Billy's contest next weakend. Hope to see you Mike if you can make it but I know you have family obligations and might not get down here. I will try not to crash her before the dist. champs so you will get to see it there. Thanks for the help Mike and it was a joy to build and fly it, something satisfying to start with a butt load of wood,foam and some molded parts, two and half months later have a nice plane up in the air.

Name:	Rp43852.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	767350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38982.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	767351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17200.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	767352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41853.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	767353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59127.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	767354  
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 PM
jim woodward

Nice Brian! Great work on the plane! I'm really looking forward to next weekend.
Thanks,
Jim W.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 PM
BrianB

Thanks Jim. Should be nice weather and a good time next weekend.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:52 PM
hilson87
My Feedback: (42)

If only i could build.....[:@]....I love the way this thing looks.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Really nice Brian, what motor you runnin?
Greg Grigsby
Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 AM
BrianB

OS 160 with perry pump, Muelller header, the 140 size ES pipe. Hope to see you at the contest next weekend.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 AM
lodomjr
My Feedback: (6)

Man that thing looks SWEEEETTTT!! My setup is about the same in my V2 except I used the Aeroslave Pipe. The Engine runs great and back fire flips the first time everytime!.........I guess thats O.S. for ya, hope to see everyone in jacksonville next weekend.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 AM
handglider

Hey Brian,

Looks great man, and thanks for keeping my build thread alive. I am actually back on my vf3 build today after an extended break. I've had a tough summer since nats and have to apologize to everyone that got hooked on this thread. I only had a few hours here and there and focused on finishing that v2.2 that I am just about to clear.

It looks like I will be attending JAX and combining it with a visit with my dad. A lot of you guys know that he has been battling cancer the last two years and has been in an out of the hospital too many times this year. I hope to bring him out to the meet.

I have thursday and friday off, plan on driving down weds night to JAX - anyone have a couch that I could crash on ???

cheers, dean

Old 09-22-2007, 09:36 AM
BrianB

Thanks dean, your more then welcome at my house Dean! it's about an hours drive from the feild in Orange Park. If were lucky my wife might even cook a meal, ummmmm I think that would be lucky.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:41 PM
patternflyr
My Feedback: (17)

Brian, that plane is too cool! Can't wait to see it in person at JAX.

Emory
Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 AM
RC11

Hey Dean,
Just bought a Black Magic pro kit from Mike at Com Air 07. You were thinking of starting a thread on glassing and finishing and I for one would be very appreciative.
Thanks,

RC11
Old 09-24-2007, 03:30 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome work Brian!!!! I can't wait to see it.

Well the world has shifted yet again and it looks like me and Melissa WILL be at Jax this weekend!!!! So we'll see you guys Friday!

It was great to meet you Rick, and I had a great time last weekend! I might need to put that one on my calendar for next year too!

-Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM
radray

Mike,

It was nice meeting you and Mellisa and seeing all the nice BM's at the contest. I am really energized to finish mine now that the season is over in D4. I am glad you had a good time, I will try and drive down south for a contest next season.

Ray
Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
MHester

Thanks Ray, it was nice to put a face to the name! Seeing those Magics really humbled and inspired me.

Maybe put GMA on your calendar, it's usually the week after Toledo right here at my home field. A VERY nice site, and we pull out the stops to run a smooth contest.

Now that I've seen you fly, I think you're about to take it to the next level with the new planes. Maybe it's just a hunch, but if I were a betting man, I'd put money on it

-Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 PM
BrianB

Thanks Mike. I'm so glad you and Millisa are going to make it!! Hotel rooms are booked up around here so if you can't find a place to stay I,m sure we can do something for you, just let me know.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 PM
MHester

We got a room. Pricey, but nice

See ya there!

-M
Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM
RC11

Hey Mike,
Gotcha... Need some advice on JR servos for our new Black Magic. Going with the DEPS.
Thanks Again. The Pro Kit is Awesome!!!!!
RC11
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM
handglider

HI Ray,

Yes I do plan on doing a finishing thread on the Vf3, I am about to focus on finishing the build on my second vf3 for this build thread and should be able to start that finishing thread near the end of october. I just finished painting the v2.2 and will blow the thread out on everything thing I have learned about fiberglass, finishing, custom painting, vinyl and spray mask design and cutting. I can go into extreme detail about equipment and materials as well, I have Sata's, Iwata's, Badgers, compressors, all the disposable materials (prep cleaners, tack cloths, tapes, etc...). I've got a really complete paint shop now and have learned a lot from the best. I also have a huge inventory of all the trick PPG custom blending reducers, candy pearls, etc, etc....

I am also looking at doing a couple high-dollar airbrushing clinics this winter and I will do my best to share the knowledge, I promise.

A lot of you guys know that I had a tough summer with a number of personal issues keeping me from flying and slowing my shop work. I am really looking forward to my "life" getting back on track this fall and having the time again to finish up my 3 Black Magics for the '08 season.

thanks all for keeping an eye on this thread and I will be back at it full tilt very soon,

Dean

ORIGINAL: RC11

Hey Dean,
Just bought a Black Magic pro kit from Mike at Com Air 07. You were thinking of starting a thread on glassing and finishing and I for one would be very appreciative.
Thanks,

RC11

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.