Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Focus Sport 110 YS Powered

Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Focus Sport 110 YS Powered

Hello Folks,

This is the Focus Sport build thread I promised.

The idea behind this thread is to help guys produce a competitive pattern plane that is a sport flyers airplane. This isn't a plane that doubles as a 3D machine. Instead its a full concept Pattern model in a Sport package. I'm building this model to make it capable of flying precision and to be an everyday sport plane that will give any level flyer that locked on feel of a pattern plane.

I have flown one of these models as was impressed with its flying. So I decided to build one for myself and to help others get their working and flying as good as the one I flew.

I received the Kit on Saturday and it arrived to my surprise. I kinda like FedEx Ground delivery on Saturday.

In any case. Here is the start of the thread. As promised I would be a few days getting into it but right now I'm pretty busy with other things at the moment. The project might get little slow start this weekend and into next week but after that I expect to flying it within a couple of weeks.

I'm in the process of checking things out and decisions on servos, linkages, and other options. The kit does include some hardware like control horns, wheels, and so on....but there are lots of options from the standard setup to the expert setup.

My goal is to accommodate lots of options for everyone.

I'm looking to do a build in 3 levels. Basically I'm going to go through multiple servo options, linkage options, and equipment choices in this model. Basically it will be a GOOD, BETTER, and EXPERT setups guides. This will let you choose the best one for yourself.

The idea is to promote pattern with a pattern based sport model that flies like a pattern plane. In the end I fully expect to be able to fly all aspects of AMA pattern.

If you all want to build along I'm going to be starting the build right here on RCU and tracking the changes everyday that I make to the model. So get yours on order and you can catch up next week when the kit arrives.

I opened the box and this is what I saw. I'm very pleased with the product. The parts are fairly light. They are built durable and the wood selection looks strong and nice. The cover work is excellent and covering is true Ultracote. I will have the Hangar 9 parts numbers for the covering. Bad Brad is doing the graphics package. The radio gear is going to be JR X9303 2.4ghz system.

We are going to take this build to a new level of detail. We are going to get it done, fly it, trim it and compete with the model. All of this will be done to promote aerobatics, and pattern flying. I will treat this model like a new top of the line pattern model when trimming, when testing and when competition comes around. Basically this plane should be able to help anybody fly better aerobatics. That is the Goal.

Ok here are a couple photos and we will get into the details as I have time to work on it.

Troy Newman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55267.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	757953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90719.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	757954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38786.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	757955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91761.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	757956  
Old 09-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Focus Sport 110 YS Powered

Troy,

Looks like a nice start on this build. I haven't fully dicided on this model just yet but as I follow along I may just have to order one. You mentioned that you would be using different set ups. Will this also include using different engines as well? I have the O.S. FS-120 III Surpass w/Pump that I'd like to use but not sure about fitting it in the cowl, it looks a little small.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Jeff_edge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troy,

I will be building along with you. I also will be using the new YS-110 (slightly broken-in).
Do you have a set of recommended build items to buy from Central (Hyde mount, FAI spinner, etc)? I already have the electronics and servos (will be putting 9451's in the wing and rudder. Not sure what I'm going to use for the elevator as the 9451's are a little heavy for the tail (2x 2.2oz). I would like to get the engine mounted and the tail assembled prior to making the elevator servo decision (it might just need the weight back there).

-Jeff
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Troy Newman

Jeff,

building that list of goodies this weekend. Hyde Mount will be on the list. But I'm planning to show the option of using a hard mount too. The Kit comes with a standard motor mount. Some folks will want to use it. I'm going to be doing both on the model. The way it goes together I can do both without any problems.

Zippi,
sorry I'm only going to be using my YS 110S for this model. I don't own any of of the other engines and there are lots of options in a model this size. There are a ton of YS 110's out there and this is a very popular engine. So the 110 is the only engine I'm going to show. However I think your 120 Surpass should work out in the model fine. It may take a bit more work to shoe horn it it but It should work. Another set of options would be the Saito 125 or the OS120AX. This model is very versatile.

However I really think the perfect combo is the YS 110 so that is why I chose to do this model around the YS

Troy Newman
Old 09-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Zippi

Troy,

Thanks for the info. I've never seen an engine mounted as the one shown in the pic. What is the purpose of the round piece? Is it included with the hardware?

Name:	Ig13492.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	758503  
Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats a hyde mount or one like it mounted to rubber
Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

That is a Hyde mount.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engine...s/hydmnts.html
Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Troy Newman

The purpose behind a Hyde Mount is to absorb the vibrations of the engine and save the airframe. Pattern flyers originally went to soft or rubber style mounts many many years ago when the the rules required a change to quiet the models down.

The vibration resonating through the airframe was a major source of noise. When we started to "rubber" mount these early "soft engine mounts" were just rubber bumpers.

Merle Hyde designed and received a US Patent for the Hyde Rotational Isolation mount. The mount works to turn vibration into a rotational "bounce" of the engine. The idea is to keep the spinner and thrust line alignment yet absorb the vibration in a rotational way centered on the axis of the prop shaft.

The result is it works great!

Sound reduction was one component but then we are pattern flyers learned how well the mount protects the model from the wear associated with vibration. Servo pots wear less, clevis connections wear less, and the airframe lasts longer with a soft mount.

Basically the Hyde Soft mounts are the standard for the very best in vibration protection.

It is not required to fly a pattern plane and its needed. What it does do is protect your investment. The investment with a pattern plane can be various things. The money to buy the model and the servos, but the biggest investment is the time in setup and trimming of the model to fine tune it for performance. The wood, foam, and fiberglass are the easy parts to replace. The hard part is trying to get the time on the model to get it tuned in just perfect and keeping it at this top level of performance for as long as possible. This is why I use the Hyde Mounts in my top level competition models.

Troy Newman
Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

My question about using a Hyde mount on an ARF like this is; since you need to attach the nose ring to a removeable cowl, how do you plan to attach the cowl to the fiselage. This isn't much of an issue with a hard mount, because the cowl doesn't tranfer much stress to the fuselage. I would imangine that the nose ring will put enough stress on the cowl, that the attacement to the fuselage will have to be beefed up. I'll be very interested to see how you address this. I don't think Hyde makes an ARI mount in the .110 size.

I sketched up someting that might work. It may be a little heavy, let me know what you think. You can get button head cap screws from McMaster Carr.

Name:	Om33299.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	758933  
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 AM
onewasp

The Hyde mount being used does NOT require a nose ring.

HCMYS110A----available at Central and it is the same mount/engine combination designer Dave Guerin used for the original.

A number of Merle's mounts do use a nose ring but this is not one of them.

NOTE:
Quite frankly, I think we will all benefit most if we stay out of this thread --- including yours truly ---- and enter only to ask Troy brief and very pertinent questions regarding His Build/Assembly of the Focus Sport.
To do otherwise will yield an unnecessarily long and wandering treatise. I think Troy may very well agree with this approach as it is "on subject" and on time, dispensing the information he intended.

Plenty of time following the completion of Troy's model (and yes I own one) for the questions that you may have.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Troy Newman

We are working up to it...I'm struggling with a paint job right now for a friend. It has taken way longer than expected. SO the Focus is still on hold. I should have the Clear on it in the morning and then its all done.

The Focus will then hit the bench in priority....

In the mean time I have my helper trying to get me to finish it too.

This is my Niece Caitlin. She is a big supporter of the USA Team as you can see. Six years old and actually flies the Picco Z heli pretty well.

Then of course Toby the Wonder Dog. His favorite F3A pilot is Chip Hyde. Chip and Toby have a very special relationship.

Name:	Lj24053.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	759433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52501.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	759434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42226.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	759435  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Zippi

How much prop clearance is there going to be with the plane setting horizontal? Trying to figure out what size prop I could run.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Troy Newman

I have no Idea

The prototype models were built and flown with YS 110's so it will accomodate prop sizes in the range of a YS 110. I fully expect to use a 15-10 on it.

What prop will be the larget it can use. I don't know!

Troy Newman
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Zippi

I called Piedmont Models today to order my Focus Sport and was told that I'd have to talk to Steve but he wasn't available. I was told that he was available from 8:00 to 2:00. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow. Haven't seen anything on Bad Brads webpage about the graphics package for the Focus Sport yet. I was wanting to put an OS 120 on mine but I'm told it's to much weight. Looks like a Saito 125 will be the ticket since it weighs less than the YS 110. I suppose YS is a good engine it's just I prefer an OS or Saito engine.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope that heli doesn't accidently hit that dog.[>:]
Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 PM
bwick

You may find yourself a little short on power.

A YS 110 is on par with a Saito 150.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: bwick

You may find yourself a little short on power.

A YS 110 is on par with a Saito 150.
I've seen heavier planes fly with this engine and they do pretty good. I'd think the Saito 125 should be just fine on power. It should have plenty of vertical at 7¾ - 8½ lbs. I'm not looking to compete with this plane. Just looking for a nice smooth flying plane. When I call Piedmont Models tomorrow I'll get their opinon on the engine.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

More Nitro<g>
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 AM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

magnum 3?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM
onewasp

So far we've got 20 posts---------FOUR are from Troy--------that's all of 20%
Two are from me asking that questions be held until Troy has made his recommendations.

What about it gang, ---------can we actually get an informative "on topic" thread for the Focus Sport??------for a change!

A royal pain reading the non-sensble comments before we have Troy's input.

Let's give it a rest.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Zippi

I talked with Steve this morning at Piedmont Models and my Forcus Sport was shipped today .
Old 09-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Zippi

Troy,

I finally got my Focus Sport and the instructions really leave a lot to be desired. I may have to wait until you start your build as these wing adusters for the incidence and some other things are new to me. Do you have a projected date on when you may be starting your build?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:23 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Here's the build thread by Don for the Focus II.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1431697
Not the Sport but I am sure there are similarities and it will give you something to look over while Troy
is getting ready to start.
The beginning of this thread covers wing adjusters.
Good luck!
JLK
Old 09-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

Here's the build thread by Don for the Focus II.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1431697
Not the Sport but I am sure there are similarities and it will give you something to look over while Troy
is getting ready to start.
The beginning of this thread covers wing adjusters.
Good luck!
JLK
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Zippi

This morning I thought I'd try and make a little headway on the build. When I opened the box, parts were just every where but they were in plastic bags. There was a white paper parts bag that was open and everything was loose. Once I started, the wing tube was 1/2" to long which is no big deal, just cut it off but I haven't done that just yet. I could not find the hardpoints to secure the wing to the tube. The instructions did not tell where the hardpoints are and you can not see by holding the wing up to the light. The right wing panel when slide onto the wing tube does not fit up against the fuse. There is a 3/16" gap at the TE. Inside the fuse the slots for the Wing Adjusters do not match up to the holes in the wing panel. The front slots look ok but the rear slots are off 1/8" F/A. If you get the front hole in the center of the slot the rear hole is up way to high. If you get both the front & rear holes in the wing panels to show in the slots in the fuse they are both way to high, no room to adjust when needed. The rudder is 1/8" to long and hangs down below the fuse which makes the stripes not match up. The stripes on the fuse were not wrapped around to the fire wall so when the cowl is butted up against the fuse there is a big gap with no stripes. I was expecting something a lot better than what I received. I'll have to get with Piedmont Models on Monday and see how we can get this taken care of.

I want to apologize to Troy Newman for posting so much since this is his thread and he hasn't even started his build yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.