Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New Dave Guerin World Class F3A Design

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dave Guerin World Class F3A Design

Dave Guerin's latest World Class F3A design, "JFM" (current name), features a completely new wing and stab design with further optimized force arrangements based on extensive R&D testing. The model is designed to be constructed of conventional balsa and foam with a precision molded epoxy glass cowl and removable canopy.

The "JFM", is designed for the YS DZ 170 and Hatori header/muffler combination.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM
tegolson
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: New Dave Guerin World Class F3A Design

GIVE ME A BREAK!!
yawn,,,[&o]
who did he copy this time,,,
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it and am happy to see that it is wood.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Ahhhhh....wood

-M
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding Dave Guerin's latest World Class F3A design.
I really like the looks of the JFM. It has some of the same lines as the Vertigo II pattern plane I flew back in the '70s, especially the tail feathers.
Will it be available as an "ARF"?
Is there a target date on when the JFM will be available?
Regards
JC
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: tegolson

GIVE ME A BREAK!!
yawn,,,[&o]
What makes you think he copied anyone?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM
BERUSTY

The "JFM" or "Just for Me", literally could be called "JFU" for "Just for Us", as in Ken Blackwell and Dave Guerin. As many of you are aware, Dave Guerin and Ken Blackwell have been collaborating on radio control aerobatic model airplane design for years.

It is my understanding that Ken and Dave began the "JFM" as a "personal" project rather than a planned "commercial" venture. Each has contributed their passions, experiences and modeling skills in the assembly of a couple of prototypes to explore their combined "vision" of a World Class F3A model.

There are no specific plans to make the "JFM" available as an ARF, kit, parts or some variation. It would be reasonable to assume that if the model performs to their expectations, custom built and finished versions would be available, by "appointment" only. Those type of "appointments", generally require an investment of $3,500 or more.

I am confident that Dave and Ken would each credit the "Wright Brothers", for the design inspiration and execution.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Service

Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
MHester

That's pretty much what Dave said last month. That it wouldn't be available except for custom builds by Dave. I understand where he's coming from.

As to where it came from: not really my place but since Rusty already eluded to it, here it is.

It basically started as an evolution of Ken Blackwell's Aggressor. Ken was getting sort of burned out on building for others, so this plane in it's original form was just for Ken...hence the name, "Just for me".

Somewhere along the line Dave liked what he saw, put his own touches on it and it became the plane you see there.

So it really was a collaboration between Dave and Ken, but it looks like a lot of refinement went into it thus far; I'll be interested to see how much farther it goes. I really like the tail. I also see the canopy is moved farther forward.

Plus it's wood, so it has a special place in my heart I think it's going to be a really cool plane. I can't wait to see one with a signature Dave finish!

-Mike
Old 11-13-2007, 04:57 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd be happy to start with plans and the formed parts. I can't pay myself $3500 to build something, never mind somebody else... maybe when all my kids are out of college ...

Very nice looking design. Please post some photos of the 'finished' product!!

Will B.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: tegolson

GIVE ME A BREAK!!
yawn,,,[&o]
A total of four posts in three years and three of the four are negative. I think we have a troll.....
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
grcourtney

????

gary
Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 PM
BERUSTY

Dearest "tegolson" AKA "The rocket scientist",

You clearly are struggling to share some kind of opinion by your clever use of ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. Your disdain for the english language is further demonstrated by your SUBTLE "boo hoo hoo symbol". Man! tegolson AKA "The rocket scientist"...you are amazing! (The previous sentence is best repeated using one's best Bill Murray impression from the movie Stripes, in the initial barracks scene).

Per Webster's New World Dictionary (tegolson...a dictionary is a book containing lots of words, which describe other words, providing context, reference and clarification to their meaning.)

Design- vt 1. to sketch an outline for;plan 2. to contrive -vi to make original plans, etc. -n 1. plan, scheme 2. purpose; aim 3. a working plan; pattern 4. arrangement of parts, form, color, artistic invention

(Pssst, tegolson...Dave more than satisfies the definition and context of my use of the word "...design..." More importantly, my intent, "spirit of" or purpose for the RCU post was to COMMUNICATE and SHARE.

Further research has identified an additional term which may describe some of the previously mentioned comments made by (rhymes with begolson except use a "t" instead of a "b") including:

_ oro_ (solve by rhyming with "bor-on") n greek (foolish) an adult mentally equal to a child between the ages of eight and twelve; an adolescent term - mo-ron'ic adj.

Question posed by imaginitive RCU member: Hey Rusty, you seem to be, how do I say, IRITATED by the comments of this fine tool of free speech. Why?

Rusty's answer: Many, many fine modelers and sportsman endeaver to share timely information for the purpose of stimulating interest in the sport of radio controlled aerobatics. Apparently, a few irresponsible, rude, spineless and degenerates find it neccesary to add their twisted and worthless comments as some kind of favor to each RCU reader. Personally, I do not find it helpful...I DO NOT FIND IT HELPFUL (wow, I really am more important, attractive to women and fly better when I use all capital letters, and yes, punctuation was not used to further provide satire and humor to mimick the indefensible.)

Additionally, tegolson AKA "The rocket scientist", every sequential toy aerobatic airplane design may have/have had components, elements (sorry, too big of a word) PARTS, based on the designs (once again, too complex) COPIED, from previous designs.

Rusty Dose (Actual name, not "fictitious" or "pretend" as I pretend to be smart by saying stupid stuff... but I use a "fake" name)

Team Futaba
2007 USA F3A Team Fund Raising Coordinator
2007 NATS Concourse d'Elegance Coordinator
2007 NATS Futaba Flight Achievement Award Coordinator
2007 NATS Future Champions Breakfast Coordinator
(listed to enhance credibility)

Note: No animals were injured in the writing of this post. Heat, flames or intensely offensive feelings elicited by the reading of this post are the sole and complete responsibility of the reader. The facts may have been HIGHLIGHTED to enhance the message of the post. I may be reached for specific comments or support, M-F (tegolson AKA "the rocket scientist"...this is an abbreviation for Monday thru Friday) 8:30 - 4:30 CST (312) 580-6838. All comments expressed are the opinions of the RCU "Poster", BERUSTY (My initials are actually B. E. Dose III, hence BERUSTY) and not Team Futaba, the Hobbico family of companies or YS Parts and Service. (Shameless plug)

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
MHester

Wow...that's the most well thought out flame I have seen in quite a while! Rusty you da man!!!

But wouldn't "bite me" have sufficed? LOLOL

You can tell it's getting to be winter time...

-Mike
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
BillB

Go Rusty!! You obviously have too much time on your hands, or did you write that during your commute??? I loved your comments!

Bill Brittain
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And the People said Amen Brother Rusty.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Wow, I'm speechless. Nice retort rusty!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:17 AM
matt13

Hope to see more of Dave Guerin's new model as it is finished and flying. It's good to see that he and others are still out there breaking balsa wood and creating, rather than just buying off the shelf. Some years ago I saw one of Dave's designs called the Prodigy. It had an anhedral high mounted wing and was high on my wish list at the time for no other reason than it looked cool. Matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65222.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	803647  
Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I'm curious to find out what airplane you think Dave has copied in the past? Yes, he has taken existing designs and refined them, but hasn't every designer. Last time I checked, these planes are designed for one purpose, and form definitely follows function. Every one of the designs today takes something from a previous design. If you took 10 different pattern planes today and painted them in identical schemes, the average pilot would have a VERY hard time telling them apart. Right now there are very few people designing pattern planes, and every one of them we can get is a bonus. Dave has done some top notch work in the past, and I'm sure when this thing is finished it will be immaculate, just like the rest of his. Dave has done a LOT for the sport of pattern, more than most of us could ever hope to accomplish. He's one of the good guys....and yes, I do consider a Dave a friend of mine. He has done a lot over the years to help me, and my brother still has one of the planes he built over 10 years ago.

GREAT POST ABOVE RUSTY!

Arch Stafford
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Viper Driver

Dave has made one great looking airplane! I know the amount of effort that goes into creating a balsa pattern plane from scratch and appreciate such an effort. Rusty, well put.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM
mjfrederick

GIVE ME A BREAK!!
yawn,,,
You are just too funny!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM
mjfrederick

Rusty, I know tegolson personally, and I'm fairly certain his comments were tounge-in-cheek. Not quite sure his comment deserved that much ridicule. Given his low post count, he probably won't be back on the boards for a while, this isn't really his thing, and he doesn't fly pattern anymore (although we have a sneaking suspicion he might come back). I would imagine with any pattern airplane out there you could make a case for it being "copied" from another airplane. Heck, someone recently showed me pictures of a Black Magic and another (older) airplane side-by-side and the differences in appearance were almost negligible. This doesn't take away from anything Mike has done with his airplane, it just looked similar to something else. I think that is all he was trying to imply, that it looked similar to another design. Actually, I wish he would come back on and point out exactly which designs, then everyone would probably say "Yeah, it does kinda look like that."
Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
klblackw

What is a JFM?

The design started in my computer. The wings and h-stab are essentially the same as that I used on the Aggressor. The top view is very close to that of the Aggressor, but the side view has much more side area to accommodate some of the high side force maneuvers that are required today.

Dave joined with me on the development of the JFM and has nearly finished the fantastic prototype. I am working on a second prototype.

Starting with my original drawings, Dave and I have collaborated on many details of the design and have shared in the building process. For example, I cut all the foam & made the fuse basic (in a jig) from which Dave made the plugs for the canopy, cowl, and chin resulting in the great nose shapes that really make the difference in the way an airplane looks. From his plugs, I made the molds and pulled all the fiberglass parts. Dave also, built all the flying surfaces for the two prototypes...fantastic....light weight as usual.

As previously stated, this airplane will not be produced in any form....no short kits, no ARC, no ARF. If Dave chooses, he may build a very few custom fabrication for a $price$ where I would produce the foam & fuse basic assembly. You may see one or two in the hands of one or two of my friends. That's it....no more.

So, all this discussion is purely moot and probably should have never made the pages of RC Universe.

I do not monitor this list nor will I respond to any further discussion.

Thanks,

Ken Blackwell
Old 11-14-2007, 02:55 PM
bla bla

ORIGINAL: BERUSTY

Rusty Dose (Actual name, not "fictitious" or "pretend" as I pretend to be smart by saying stupid stuff... but I use a "fake" name)

Team Futaba
2007 USA F3A Team Fund Raising Coordinator
2007 NATS Concourse d'Elegance Coordinator
2007 NATS Futaba Flight Achievement Award Coordinator
2007 NATS Future Champions Breakfast Coordinator
(listed to enhance credibility)
Why is it important to enhance your credibility?
I find this somewhat funny when people use these forums for some type of personal gain or positioning.
Why are people so "keen" to say the "right" things... side with the "right" people?
Positioning. Positioning the name with the right people. Positioning their name is a brand?
Important stuff?
It's a freakin' chat forum for model planes.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: mjfrederick

Rusty, I know tegolson personally, and I'm fairly certain his comments were tounge-in-cheek. Not quite sure his comment deserved that much ridicule.
I can find nothing humorous, tongue-in-cheek, or even remotely amusing about his comments. I'm fairly certain your 'friend' was just being a jerk. Ken and Dave have come up with a very impressive looking airplane, and tegolson's comments were just flat rude.

The real shame in all of this is Ken and Dave won't be mass producing this airplane. Would be cool if we could talk them out of the plans though.. I'd love to build one myself.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

Rusty, I know tegolson personally, and I'm fairly certain his comments were tounge-in-cheek.
I am not so sure about that. He also posted very similar comments in the Focus Sport thread and his post was quickly removed by the moderators. But perhaps you are right, maybe his sense of humor is just mis-understood - again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.