Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

After 2007 WC, electric f3a or nitro f3a??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

After 2007 WC, electric f3a or nitro f3a??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 AM
uav-oscar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 2007 WC, electric f3a or nitro f3a??

Bravo QQ...

Now, 1.QQ - YS ; 2.CPLR - YS ; 3.Onda - YS...
What should we buy?? 500 -600 $usd for every set of Li-Po (min.3 or 4 set ) + motor+esc etc.. OR old fashion style YS,OS,Webra etc..
Hard to decide but do not forget the results of WC !!..
O.K. both of them problems such as : CPLR got a deadstick on finals [:@]& Chip Hyde got battery connection problem during NATS [:@]( I read from thread?).. but as a result Mr.Yamada still happy

Which way is better???

Oscar
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Default RE: After 2007 WC, electric f3a or nitro f3a??

The Worlds should not persuade you one way or the other. These guys could win with anything. Go with whatever you like or how deep your pocket is. Nothing in pattern is cheap. <g>
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Kolsso12

I have two F3A planes with YS and one F3A plane with Plettenberg Xtra 30-10. YS has more speed compare to Plettenberg, that give YS a benefit in hard wind. I live close to the sea and it is unusual with calm wether. That is the reason to way I will fly with nitro next year.

/Kristian
Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 AM
uav-oscar

Dear Joe,
I know very well Nothing in pattern is cheap , as a pattern flyer..but problem is '' electric or not!!''
Hard to decide..
p.s.- picture: my IMPULSE with YS Dingo..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27066.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	807073  
Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Oscar,

Now we have to get a biplane? Yes, it is hard to decide. In very windy conditions you need the YS power.

Regards,

Vicente "Vince" Bortone
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: uav-oscar

Dear Joe,
I know very well Nothing in pattern is cheap , as a pattern flyer..but problem is '' electric or not!!''
Hard to decide..
Excellent plane, excellent powerplant... why specifically would you want to switch??[sm=eek.gif]

If the answer is "just for the heck of it", the solution is simple -- get a Euphoria with a DZ 170.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
uav-oscar

You right Vince ,
thats another question..biplane or monoplane???..
but before that electric pattern became much more popular to fly all over the world & now it looks nitro guys getting advantages.. (wind etc.).. I still have some hesitations for electric pattern ( may be I m old fashion style )
Oscar
Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

As a friend of mine says "Electrics are for those who can't tune an engine"
Old 11-19-2007, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

It would be nice to try electric-power, they really work. The power is great, and in fact i can not see any differences between them and the glow flying FAI sequences...

It would be great to just try for a season or so, but the expences are high for the "first time users" ... Another thing is the availability to just decide go out and fly some few rounds without a sesson with battery preparation etc...

Bipe`s!? .... hmmm .. no ...

Kjell Olav

Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 AM
J Lachowski

ORIGINAL: uav-oscar

Dear Joe,
Hard to decide..
Your flying YS now. Stick with it. You know it works.

I went to electric (Beryll/Hacker C5013XL) this year. Different mindset and you have to learn new things. It took me a while to realize that I was flying too slow because you could. I now know how to adjust. Still have an Astral XX(OS 140RX) that I still fly. Next plane is an electric Integral. I still think deep down inside I'd like to give the YS a ride again. Haven't flown YS since the YS 140FZ days. Electric gets expensive if you want to it right and efficient (4 sets of Lipos, 4 Lipo chargers, a generator, balancers, power supply, etc.). You get the picture?<g>
Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 AM
uav-oscar

ORIGINAL: twtaylor

As a friend of mine says "Electrics are for those who can't tune an engine"
CPLR need too??? better then deadstick finals... oopss I hope he did not angry to me[&:]

Oscar
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
uav-oscar

[/quote]

Your flying YS now. Stick with it. You know it works.

I went to electric (Beryll/Hacker C5013XL) this year. Different mindset and you have to learn new things. It took me a while to realize that I was flying too slow because you could. I now know how to adjust. Still have an Astral XX(OS 140RX) that I still fly. Next plane is an electric Integral. I still think deep down inside I'd like to give the YS a ride again. Haven't flown YS since the YS 140FZ days. Electric gets expensive if you want to it right and efficient (4 sets of Lipos, 4 Lipo chargers, a generator, balancers, power supply, etc.). You get the picture?<g>
[/quote]

Joe ,
did you get any info about OS 140 rx guys in this wc?? I only see YS Dingos , any other brand glow engines???

Oscar
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I could only see one 2-stroke flying. It was installed in a Larimar by a South American flyer (Ecuador/Venezuela/Columbia?)
Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 AM
uav-oscar

ORIGINAL: Aresti-RCU

I could only see one 2-stroke flying. It was installed in a Larimar by a South American flyer (Ecuador/Venezuela/Columbia?)
Did you see the engine??? O.S. or ???

Thnx
Oscar
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 AM
J Lachowski

I really don't care what people are using. I can make with whatever I choose to use. As for the OS 140 RX it works like a clock and flys the Astral XX just fine for what I fly, AMA Masters. Knock on wood, I have never had a flame out with the OS140 RX. I have had couple with the Webras in the past and maybe one or two with YS's many years ago.

I hate this following the herd mentality that I see. I just wonder how many are going to get sucked into flying a YS and a Bipe and find out that they can't fly the Bipe as well as they can fly a monoplane<g>. If you want to experiment with electric, get a 90 size plane and a cheap outrunner and have with it. That should give you a good baseline and not cost as big a bundle.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am flying electric for no other reason than logistics.

I have a field that's 10 minutes from my house that is electric only. To get to a field that will allow glow is an hour for anything suitable for flying pattern.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
uav-oscar

ORIGINAL: J Lachowski

I really don't care what people are using. I can make with whatever I choose to use. As for the OS 140 RX it works like a clock and flys the Astral XX just fine for what I fly, AMA Masters. Knock on wood, I have never had a flame out with the OS140 RX. I have had couple with the Webras in the past and maybe one or two with YS's many years ago.

I hate this following the herd mentality that I see. I just wonder how many are going to get sucked into flying a YS and a Bipe and find out that they can't fly the Bipe as well as they can fly a monoplane<g>. If you want to experiment with electric, get a 90 size plane and a cheap outrunner and have with it. That should give you a good baseline and not cost as big a bundle.
Joe;
you may be right about does not care about what people using BUT please do not forget that These kind of competitons gave us a really good information about what the BEST PATTERN PILOTS equipments !! Also have chance to compare of them too..
My thread questions reason is to find a better combination ONLY ...

I also flew with O.S. 140 RX + HYDEOUT before and I never get the same feeling with Y.S..Dingo & now before WC I am seriously planning to get electric pattern... but now ???????

This is the reason of my thread... sorry I did not want you to hate this kind of herd mentality..[&o]
Oscar
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Doug Cronkhite

I think what Joe is saying though Oscar, is that there are people who feel they MUST have whatever won the WC in order to compete, that somehow that airplane/engine combination is the magic.

I like the bipes personally, and would love to fly the Euphoria or Adventure, but it won't automatically mean I'll start winning contests. If I had the money though, I'd have 2 Euphoria ordered today (cause I love bipes anyway).
Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
f3a05

I fly FAI F3A in the UK,and my take on this is:
YS 160----the best for all weather conditions, once you know how to make it go and how to maintain it.
Electric---nearly as good in performance in all areas----just not enough spare speed (speed,not power) for high winds.And the larger prop diameter is a definite advantage for all the combination rolling circles/loops.
Two-stroke---OS 160---equal to YS 160 BUT (a) power management is more tricky overall cf YS160, and (b), there is a definite judging bias in favour of 4 strokes(whatever the judges may say; they just can't help themselves).
OS 140---forget it---relative to the others, it just doesn't have the midrange torque,and it sounds too harsh.
This is based on flying my own Leviosa and Abbra, with OS 160, and friends' YS 160/Enigma, Oxalys/YS160, Abbra/Hacker C5014-wind,Integral/Hacker14-wind----all reasonably contemporary set-ups.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
J Lachowski

Doug hit it on the nail. I second the Bipe thing too. My suggestion is flip a coin and don't look the other way<g>

In all honesty, my appoach has been to keep my glow stuff until I was satisfied with what I experienced in electric for a year or so.

I think if I really wanted the best of both worlds, I'd have one of each in electric and glow. I don't think there is one best setup. Each has its benefits and pitfalls. Can't get the practice time per flight out of an electric. One sequence per flight on my Beryll to around two sequences per flight on the Astral XX. Guess what plane I'll be flying in the Spring until I get into some sort of groove? <g>

BY the way I heard QQ was flying the new JR 12X radio and not the 9303 as I had thought.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Doug Cronkhite

ORIGINAL: J Lachowski
BY the way I heard QQ was flying the new JR 12X radio and not the 9303 as I had thought.
Correct. The layout of the new 12ch radio is very similar to the 9303 and uses the same style scroll wheel on the right side of the display.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I came from Santa Fe yesterday. I saw prelims, semis and finals. All flights were in very hard wind condittions. All the Brazilian team flew with OS 160 2 strokes custom header and pipe. In this wind condittion they need a little more of power in the top of the manouvers. Suriname team OS 140 RX, not enough power at all. Personally I like more electrics than glow. They flew slower and have a more solid presence in the air. Unlimeted verticals and very good aceleration. CPLR, BPLR, Stephan Carrire and the japanese team were in the same level of power. The other pilots with glow don`t have the same power than electrics.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Trisquire

Regardless of what the average pattern enthusiast is using, I'm going to guess that the competitors at the 2009 World Championships will be 100% electric.

Tom
Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
onewasp

Couldn't agree less.

IF there is some noise ruling that can only be met by an electric set up then 'Yes'. Otherwise I expect to see about the same mix as 2007.

Neither of us really 'knows' a thing ----it is just the way we look at it.

Based upon this years grouping I would expect to see a slight shift to Glow------.
The complete podium does seem to state that Glow is neither noise incompatible nor does it give anything away in the power need sector.

Personally, I don't mind the mix-----BUT I would mind an all electric field.
Simply not interested in even following such a potential being.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
cmoulder

Was anybody using the new OS 200 F3A engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.