Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Have you ever seen this ? Webra 160 cracked!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Have you ever seen this ? Webra 160 cracked!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
mtcarey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you ever seen this ? Webra 160 cracked!

Running Coolpower 10%. APC 17 X 12 prop. About 300 flights. ALWAYS run rich. Engine 18 months old.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10913.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	810881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42367.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	810882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10157.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	810883  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have you ever seen this ? Webra 160 cracked!

WOW..

That's crazy..

Old 11-24-2007, 07:43 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

Have you thought about JB Weld to fix it?.........

Just kidding, whats the warranty on those was thinking it was 2 years.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:51 PM
onewasp

How tight is that nose ring?

For all the world the pictures make it look like that might have caused it. Pure guess work but that is how it looks.

Or, IF the mount is soft then even a slightly firm ring would have transferred the force to that spot.

As I said pure guess work--------------

---and NO, I have never seen any engine fail that way.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Mark,

I'm not sure if you know Bill Mitchell that flies Advanced in our area, but he had a 1.60 case crack. I can't remember if it was there or right along the mounting flanges.

In case you don't know, Terry Darr is a whiz with those motors. If you want to talk with him about it, I'll give you his number. Have Dale Arnold look at it, he may tell you to talk to Terry, or you may be better off just getting a new case.

That sucks that happened.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to see that....but if I may ask...what's the pvc for??
Old 11-24-2007, 09:15 PM
mtcarey

Great! I emailed and left a phone message for Dale. This engine was purchased in January 2007.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:49 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: mtcarey

Running Coolpower 10%. APC 17 X 12 prop. About 300 flights. ALWAYS run rich. Engine 18 months old.
I have run Webras for 5 years and have never seen that. Looks like a defective case

MattK
Old 11-24-2007, 10:29 PM
grotto2

Yes. I got one of those last year.
Horizon replaced it no questions. Webra must've had a few defects.
I've heard of another one....I think maybe Brian Billings in Jacksonville...?
-Ron
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
mtcarey

More Pictures.
This is the second Webra 160 in this plane. Same mount and nose ring. The first one bearings got worn so I put in this new one. The first engine never cracked.

More Pictures.

Name:	If10882.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	811370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90583.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	811371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77837.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	811372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo36948.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	811373  
Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Wasson

Sorry to hear about your problem.

OneWasp made a good point when he asked how tight the nose ring was.

After a while, rubber ‘O’ Rings tend to grip ferociously to alloy crankcases, especially if the mating area is non-machined. If the mount is fairly soft, the rear engine will be trying to rotate and an ‘O’ Ring that is gripping tightly would be trying to prevent this. This would result in a large couple being applied to the front end of the crankcase, just at the point where it failed!

Although I ran a Webra 160 for a short period, most of my recent experience has been with YS Dingos. The ‘O’ Ring bearing surface on a YS is machined. Despite this, on more recent engines, YS have taken the additional precaution of adding a thin wrap of tape (with a shiny surface similar to brown parcel tape) to further reduce the friction between the ‘O’ Ring and the crankcase. For good measure, I also ensure that the ‘O’ Ring is well lubricated with silicon grease before I fit it. Apart from anything else, it makes the ring easier to remove when the time comes.

I note your point about not experiencing any problems with the original engine. However I would still recommended that you fit a thin wrap of parcel tape to the front of your new crankcase and that you add some silicon grease to the new ‘O’ Ring before re-installing it.

Best of luck.

Bob Wasson
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Wasson

Sorry to hear about your problem.

OneWasp made a good point when he asked how tight the nose ring was.

After a while, rubber ‘O’ Rings tend to grip ferociously to alloy crankcases, especially if the mating area is non-machined. If the mount is fairly soft, the rear engine will be trying to rotate and an ‘O’ Ring that is gripping tightly would be trying to prevent this. This would result in a large couple being applied to the front end of the crankcase, just at the point where it failed!

Although I ran a Webra 160 for a short period, most of my recent experience has been with YS Dingos. The ‘O’ Ring bearing surface on a YS is machined. Despite this, on more recent engines, YS have taken the additional precaution of adding a thin wrap of tape (with a shiny surface similar to brown parcel tape) to further reduce the friction between the ‘O’ Ring and the crankcase. For good measure, I also ensure that the ‘O’ Ring is well lubricated with silicon grease before I fit it. Apart from anything else, it makes the ring easier to remove when the time comes.

I note your point about not experiencing any problems with the original engine. However I would still recommended that you fit a thin wrap of parcel tape to the front of your new crankcase and that you add some silicon grease to the new ‘O’ Ring before re-installing it.

Best of luck.

Bob Wasson
Bob,

I believe that the tape material YS uses is actually teflon tape. This item is easy to purchase directly from McMaster Carr or other industrial supply house. The adhesive used on the tape adheres the tape just fine to the crankcase bearing housing.

I wonder whether the standard nose rings available on the market provide adequate protection to the engine. The o-rings used may not offer enough rubber for adequate snubbing, with possibly too much force transmitted to the aluminum base. It's supposed to be strictly rotational at the nose, but maybe there is enought translational load to be a problem in some installations

I prefer making my nose rings completely from rubber sheet stock, thus avoiding any of these issues. They serve to snub and mount the nose to the airplane. No aluminum is used. FWIW

MattK
Old 11-26-2007, 02:17 AM
f3a05

It just might,not be the nose ring causing the problem.
When we were using 61 two-strokes, it became fairly standard practice,to soft-mount them,via an aluminium plate bolted to the backplate, with four lord-type rubber mounts fixed to the firewall.
When the bigger two-strokes came in, it seems that with the longer cranckcase/bigger props/whatever, this method was no longer viable long-term.
I had a few broken crankcases with Irvine 150 mk1s, a few cases or crankshafts with ST 2300s,but,being a flyer rather than a thinker,or engineer,and given the relative cheapness of the motors,did the "American" thing, and "got another one out of the van"(cf Ford GT40s at Le Mans?)
When the same thing happened to my OS160 crankshafts after maybe ten flights from new, I changed to rigid aluminium beams bolted to the usual lugs on the case,still fixed to the firewall via lord mounts, and absolutely no problems since (and no apparent need for a nose ring,btw.).
Looking at the photo, the beams look like fairly flimsy folded alloy----could it be that they are allowing the crankcase to flex too much,as it seems was the weakness in my earlier system?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:35 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

I used a grommet like that as a nose ring on my webras as well. I didnt have that extended nose ring but was in a more conventional fiberglass plane. I wonder how rigid that arrangement is to cause the case to crack, but I can see if you have the case cantilievered and the mount etc is crooked...say to add down thrust but the nose ring isnt adjusted to accomodate the offset...it might put a load on the case and being aluminum it doesnt like repetitive high stresses and eventually fatigues and cracks. Result what you see here. It looks like the crack is gapped more at the bottom of the engine case, being mounted inverted this wide spot faces up in the plane, kind of why I thought of the above. ............thats my best long distance geuss.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
BrianB

Been there done that, here is a few pics of my 160 that broke at the d3 champs last year. Jon Lowe has had an OS160 fail in the exact same manner as well, he had lost a prop blade on his prior to the failure.

http://www.billingsauto.smugmug.com/...2044287#P-11-9
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: BrianB

Been there done that, here is a few pics of my 160 that broke at the d3 champs last year. Jon Lowe has had an OS160 fail in the exact same manner as well, he had lost a prop blade on his prior to the failure.

http://www.billingsauto.smugmug.com/...2044287#P-11-9
WOW!!
The only time before all of this I had ever seen a cracked case was when a con-rod sheared the pin and drove through the side of an OS61 re fsr, 20 years ago or more. It looks like trying to make these large engines as light as possible has possibly caused thinning the case walls a bit too much. Machined bar stock, ala Mintor, is better, stronger

Curious...what soft mount were all of you guys who lost crankcases using? Or were they softly mounted at all? It looks like it's just a matter of time before some more engines break cases

MattK
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Matt, the aftormentioned broken case on my friend Bill's motor was with a Hyde ARA mount. It looks like Mark is using a Budd mount. Could the common denominator be metal beams on motor mounts?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 PM
f3a05

Could the common denominator be metal beams on motor mounts?
Not in my cases(Pun intended), no.
My original mount system(backplate carrying ali plate, plate carrying four lord-type rubber bobbins bolted to firewall) worked fine on 61s, but the extra crankcase length and bigger props on Irvine 150s,ST2300s,OS160s, all resulted in broken cases and /or crankshafts.
Changing to conventional cast aluminium beam mounts(again connected to the firewall via lord mounts) completely eliminated the problem.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: f3a05

Could the common denominator be metal beams on motor mounts?
Not in my cases(Pun intended), no.
My original mount system(backplate carrying ali plate, plate carrying four lord-type rubber bobbins bolted to firewall) worked fine on 61s, but the extra crankcase length and bigger props on Irvine 150s,ST2300s,OS160s, all resulted in broken cases and /or crankshafts.
Changing to conventional cast aluminium beam mounts(again connected to the firewall via lord mounts) completely eliminated the problem.

Interesting. On the other hand, most large gas engines are mounted as you describe....rear of the crankcase. Their shafts are even longer and massive than the standard Pattern engine fare. These are typically hard mounted to a firewall or other box type assembly and crankcase failures of the type disclosed herein in the thread do not happen.

The mode of failure has another root cause. I suspect the cause to be thin castings. The more I think about it, the more I like the Mintor machined bar stock cases. Alas, the Mintor engine doesn't cut it with the consistency we demand but their choices in materials of construction offer real advantages.

MattK
Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
grotto2

In my case, the engine was mounted on a regular plastic arm (Sig) Hyde mount with a ply/fuel tubing nose ring.
Nothing exotic at all.

I've got three of these engines and I think a lot of 'em. Light, powerful, and inexpensive. IMHO this is a minor issue as long as the product is backed up by Webra and it's distributors. As I said before, Horizon treated me well and I intend to keep using them.

-Ron
Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: grotto2

In my case, the engine was mounted on a regular plastic arm (Sig) Hyde mount with a ply/fuel tubing nose ring.
Nothing exotic at all.

I've got three of these engines and I think a lot of 'em. Light, powerful, and inexpensive. IMHO this is a minor issue as long as the product is backed up by Webra and it's distributors. As I said before, Horizon treated me well and I intend to keep using them.

-Ron
Me too Ron. Couldn't ask for better from a supplier. Not this specific problem but same result. They actually sent me a whole new engine a few years ago to "fix" a pump. Are they still the distributor?

Matt
Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 PM
grotto2

I hear rumors they're going to drop Webra.
I hope it's not true.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 PM
onewasp

To the best of my knowledge that is a fact-----PAST tense----certainly in the 'Pattern' sizes.

Check their site----just parts and a Heli engine that's it.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM
mtcarey

I sent the engine back to Horizon, waiting to here what they say. The rubber grommet is thicker and softer than the others I've seen. It's Buna-N Rubber about as soft as the gromments on your servos. Also the 4 carbon fiber braces are arrange to resist vertical and horizontal movement but do move to some degree in a rotational manner with the engine.

Name:	Tr51225.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	814106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29230.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	814107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71516.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	814108  
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM
mtcarey

Horizon replace , case , piston , ring , sleave. I know have another engine...