Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Global Freestyle ARF suitable for beginning pattern?

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Global Freestyle ARF suitable for beginning pattern?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 AM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Freestyle ARF suitable for beginning pattern?

I have a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro and a full compliment of servos, reciever and battery etc that's been burning a hole in my draw for little while, waiting for a new model.

I also have a limited budget which has been holding up the selection process.

Anyway's one of the local mail order hobby shops here in Australia posted a stock clearance specials on their web site and the Global Freestyle ARF was there for AUD$150 which equates roughly to US$130.

I checked the user reviews here on the site and it appears to fill all the criteria (price, suitable for .46, patternish style, available here and good reviews).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this model looking at if from a novice pattern perspective.

I'm an accomplished heli pilot and cut my fixed wing teeth on a Four Star 40 and I now have a GP Skybolt.

Lately i've been more and more obsessed with practicing better aerobatics rather than just blast around the sky. There are no comps at my club but there are several in my region that i might one day wish to attend after a bit of practice.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 AM
greg_m

Default RE: Global Freestyle ARF suitable for beginning pattern?

Kind of uncomfortable place to keep your servos and stuff - especially if it's burning a hole!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 AM
greg_m

Hi

The plane looks fine - on low rates it should be a smooth pattern flyer for the sportsman level (beginer level). In genral it looks like a good plane.

The 46TT might be a little on the marginal side of things - would rather go for a 52 size. You will get off the ground but large loop type manouvres will not be easy and vertical manouvres will not be tall!

rgds

Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM
f3a05

Although,from memory, the GP Skybolt is a bit heavy, you should be able to learn a lot from it,esp in terms of trimming it to fly pattern.
I remember a rather young CPLR flying (a bigger) one many years ago---very impressive!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I had one a few years back. It flew great on a YS 63. It was my off season winter plane. I think I added a bright red strip on the top of the wing for visibility and painted the canopy a bright red. I was flying AMA Masters level maneuvers with this plane, as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very good for beginner pattern, one of the best flying planes of this size. Very stable flier. Be careful of high rates, this plane will go from mild to wild in a quick second. The only thing I do not like is that it snaps are ugly (in a pattern sense). To quote Troy N.; "it gets deep into the snap".

I still have one, put about 40 flights on it during the last 3 weeks. ys 63 is perfect, but it will fly fine with a 46.

Hopefully Troy N. will chime in, he did a review a few years back.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I would not hesitate to go with this model. However, for introduction to pattern I would set it up with strictly low-rate throws, stick to the loops and rolls, don't even think about snaprolls for a season or three. The plane will be a lot easier to handle if you keep the throws modest--shortest possible arms on servos, longest possible arms on control horns. Do what you can to keep it light, and the 46 will work. I had at least a couple 46 powered planes when I was breaking in on pattern. They were not outrageously powered, but certainly enough to pull a big loop when called on, and generally enjoyable to fly. The place where I would notice a shortfall power-wise with one of my early pattern planes was in going up into a reverse half-cuban, when you roll inverted, if you don't have enough power to pull through the half-roll, then carry enough punch to keep a straight line all the way to the top, then you know you need more power. That half-roll drains off a fair amount of momentum. Keeping your roll rates on the slow side (with limited aileron throws) will help carry the momentum, but slower rolls will call for more flying skill to stay on axis. (Which is what pattern is all about!) Mostly a matter of learning to touch in some down elevator as soon as you come inverted.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I would not hesitate to go with this model. However, for introduction to pattern I would set it up with strictly low-rate throws, stick to the loops and rolls, don't even think about snaprolls for a season or three. The plane will be a lot easier to handle if you keep the throws modest--shortest possible arms on servos, longest possible arms on control horns. Do what you can to keep it light, and the 46 will work. I had at least a couple 46 powered planes when I was breaking in on pattern. They were not outrageously powered, but certainly enough to pull a big loop when called on, and generally enjoyable to fly. The place where I would notice a shortfall power-wise with one of my early pattern planes was in going up into a reverse half-cuban, when you roll inverted, if you don't have enough power to pull through the half-roll, then carry enough punch to keep a straight line all the way to the top, then you know you need more power. That half-roll drains off a fair amount of momentum. Keeping your roll rates on the slow side (with limited aileron throws) will help carry the momentum, but slower rolls will call for more flying skill to stay on axis. (Which is what pattern is all about!) Mostly a matter of learning to touch in some down elevator as soon as you come inverted.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Jason Arnold

Hi Custom PC,

Your GP Skybolt would be fine for Sportsman here in NSW.

The first comp next year is at IMAC down near Wollongong. I think it's in March.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 AM
CustomPC

Thanks Gents,

I decided to get it and the model was delivered today. It looks very good. Most of the covering is fine although there are a few wrinkles on the tail surfaces (still much less than my GP skybolt had out of the box). The ailerons and rudder are huge compared to my four star. Is such large surfaces the norm for a pattern plane. I can see that i will probably add some tri-stock to the landing gear plate. Other than that it looks well constructed.

Looking at the size of the plane in the flesh, i'm thinking i'll ask Mrs Clause to get me a .55 AX instead of using my TT .46Pro. I'm partial to the AX line of motors going by my success with the .75 on the Skybolt.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 AM
wildnloose

You will like it, its a great plane. No need to add tri stock to landing plate, its plenty strong. This plane can be flown pretty fast, but first make sure to seal thos surfaces to prevent flutter. Yes, big rudder=very good knife edge flight. One of my favorite maneuvers is the ke loops, ke figure eights, ke box loop, ke cuban 8 (for lack of a better description). Of course none of this will be done in pattern.

One thing you may want to change out is the landing gear. I believe they are made for a 25 sized plane, pretty flimsy too. They placed the plane so low to the ground it would take a lot of elevator to rotate.

You will like the 55 much better....
Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
tonyob

I've just bought one of these second hand and it is a great plane to fly. Have been looking for a new kit but they don't seem to be available. Any one know of where I can buy one on line? or a suitable similar kit?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
cd3217
My Feedback: (3)

My opinion is that you've received some very good advice...the Freestyle is the best if not one of 46 airplanes I've ever flown...(36 years or so) This is a great pattern trainer...and the warnings about throws are right on...and I've flown both of mine with the TTpro.46...the OS.55 should make it even better. It will do any maneuver right on through F11. I hate that they've discontinued this arf...I have one worn out one, and one new one and a redesign is in the works when this one wears out. Just an excellent airplane to fly ....no it will never replace a 2 meter, but it is capable of keeping you proficient in practice and an excellent trainer for sequences. Just a great flying airplane.

Chris White
Masters flyer
Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
tonyob

I've emailed Global models since posting my question and they confirmed that the Freestyle is no longer made and they don't have any equivalent model.

It looks like World Models makes a "Groovy" which looks similar and is available in 40 /50 sized and a 90 sized plane. Also I've found the Great Planes Venus which the 40 size is discontinued and there is the Venus II which is a 60 / 90 sized plane.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 PM
wildnloose

The Venus II has been discontinued as well.