Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Angel S EVO Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Angel S EVO Build Thread

Hati ... go with a 380KV motor and turn a 16x10. That is more fun to fly. No point turning a small prop at a very high RPM. Ideally, you want to match the pitch speed with the speed of the plane and the amount of thrust you wish to have. In a small prop, it will spin like mad to create the thrust, that causes a high pitch speed and if the thrust does not pull the plane at that pitch speed then its all wasted. I hope I am right on this! Hahahahaha ... No more Angels in Singapore and Malaysia, all sold out.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hati

Thank you very much Matt and Jeff.

The 2S3P is no misprint, check it out [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8272&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_2100mAh_2S3P_Receiver _Pack_]here[/link]. At 97 g all up it should last all day even with digital servos. Speaking of that I think I'll go with the Ino-Lab used by Jeff, although I wasn't too fussed going digital, it's not a flybarless heli for the servo speed to make a difference, especially not in my hands.

Jeff, you said on my initial setup (500 Kv 1475 W rated Turnigy, 80 Amp speedie and 15X8 E prop) that it could be OK with a smaller prop of 14x something. The reason I picked this particular motor is the 140 g weight advantage compared to the one Matt is using (320 g v. 460g).
I only use something like this for the Rx . . http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6520 . . it's more than enough. (You can save more weight . . )

2100mAh is more than TWICE the capacity that most use on their full 2M EP Pattern planes . . Note: Electric powered planes use MUCH less flight-pack power per flight, particularly when comparing digital sevos in glow vs EP).

As I said . . I think the original motor you selected would be "OK" . . not great, but will work. 15 x 8E is probably as big as you could expect to run on it . . check the current draw on your set-up before you fly and adjust if necessary.

Cheers, JB

EDIT . . Check the weight of the recommended Hacker . . you don't want to go too much lighter or you will have issues with CG . . you can only get the LiPo packs so far forward.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Hati

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your advice.

I put the order in for the 380 kv and a couple of 16x10 props of different material and weight to play with. Amp draw will be checked on the ground and in-flight too.

Re the 2100 mAh RX pack, I got that for my long term project (80" H9 Pawnee running nav & landing lights off the same pack) but thought about using it on the Angel. Until now . I got a couple of small ones like suggested on order.

One last thing: is it worth trying the 2P configuration (if it fits) at all or is it bound to cause trouble? Would the extra weight make this plane less precise or harder to fly or both? Given our relatively windy weather I hoped the extra weight may help with stability.

After this I promise to stop being a PITA
Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 AM
tIANci

For me, my Angel was on 5S 4,900 packs with a Hyperion 4025 motor. I did not weigh her but even then she felt a little light. I would have liked a little more weight for her to feel more stable when it gets a little windy. Maybe another say 6-8 oz. My pals who fly 2x2 planes say a P09 only consumes about 150 mAh. Not bad huh?

Careful of the Turnigy props from HC, they are not very efficient. Not much bite. Sorry if you have ordered such props. The APC props are nice and so are the XOAR. In my opinion the XOAR E props are one of the best averaged priced wooden props I have tried. They are smooth and you feel the prop bite well. Now, I understand the rave about XOAR props.

Also, its best to ask as much as you want here and not find out the hard way when you are flying! You should see the number of emails I sent to Dub Jett before I purchased his Q500 engne, the man was so patient and I appreciate that.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Hati

ORIGINAL: tIANci

For me, my Angel was on 5S 4,900 packs with a Hyperion 4025 motor. I did not weigh her but even then she felt a little light. I would have liked a little more weight for her to feel more stable when it gets a little windy. Maybe another say 6-8 oz.
These comments keep me thinking about the 2P option. Your 6-8 oz is about half the weight of one of my 6S 3000 packs. Not sure what your 5S pack weighs, but two of mine would be about 32 oz all up. Hmm...

I appreciate your patience too, quite a lot actually. I did order a couple of different 16x10 props from HC, but only because it was cheap and there was room to fill the package. Never heard of the XOAR props but I will start looking for them.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 AM
tIANci

My packs are 655g (24 oz) and the Hyperion 4025 is 356g (12.6 oz) without the radial mount and the prop adapter I think.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Hati

That would bring my 2P combination right where you feel the weight should be. I guess space in the fuse and positioning for correct CG will be the key to it. I have some ply and 2.5 mm carbon sheet is coming from HC so battery tray reinforcement should be an issue.

By the way I like the current draw figures you guys mention. I got lucky and scored some Ino Labs HG-D650HB servos for $34 AUD with free postage. Cheaper then HC for once
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 AM
tIANci

Use good servos that will center well ... you know that you get what you pay for. Hope your Angel arrives soon!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Hati

I picked those based on Jeff's recommendation. Just got lucky to catch a promotion and get a good price for them. I also managed to track down some XOAR props, so two are on the way.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 AM
matt13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello again,
yes Jeff that is a Tracey photo, I got the new model, she got a new camera, a Pentax K7.
I was just looking at the prop I'm running, it is a APC 17x10. This works well, it was the models previous owner who did all of the prop testing, I just copied his set up when I bought the model off him.
tIANci, the Miss Wind looks great, I can't wait for them to arrive in Australia, but I think that Jeff will beat me to one first:-)
Hati, don't forget to order the speedy program card when you get your gear. Matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84481.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1266940  
Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
tIANci

Matt ... I can ensure that JB does not get the Ms Wind before you ...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Hati

ORIGINAL: matt13

Hati, don't forget to order the speedy program card when you get your gear.
Already have it. I use an other Plush 80 on my heli and a 60 on the Sebart Shark. Trouble free too, unlike the 90A V2 Scorpion [&o]

What timing are you using Matt? Some people seem to use medium and high. I run low on the heli...
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 PM
JanneL

About 50 flights flown with Angel & YS63. This is awesome! It weighs 2,9kg with an empty tank, there is enough power with 30% nitro. With 20% it was quite lasy. Now it's nice. With 13*6 sport prop speed is very good but it can also torqueroll and do some other 3d maneuvers like rolling harrier/loop, if CG is back enough. It rises slowly from hover, but it's sufficient. Notice that 6" pitch is quite much for hover. For F3A it seems to be very nice. YS' sound is very very cool, better than an electric engine IMO

Janne
Old 09-05-2009, 06:35 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am afraid with our present Government 30% Nitro is out of the question, I like my arms and legs too much , Bill Michie from the BRCAA use's a West 50 in his and I have to admit I was impressed with its performance, as I have a Hype with a West 50 in it that I don't fly anymore I am very tempted to get another Angel and convert it to the dark side.

Mike
Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 AM
tIANci

Mike ... go for it. Come and experience the joys of the Dark Side.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:21 AM
BaldEagel

Ian

Its not that I am adverse to an IC form of propultion, I mean even my turbines are IC its just the thought of that wonderful airframe (Angel) with an IC on the front, I converted a pal's Angel to IC for him and I have to say the Electric version fly's better, there is just something about the Electric version that is asthetically pleasing.

Mike
Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 AM
tIANci

Mike ... It's smoke and vibration free. for me I did it because I got lazy
Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 AM
BaldEagel

Not all electrics are smoke free, if you let out the magic smoke they don't seem to operate as well afterwards. LOL

Mike
Old 09-06-2009, 12:22 PM
tIANci

Mike ... oh that is the Nasty Smoke ... sometimes it comes with fire too ... Hahahahaaa ...
Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Hati

IT ARRIVED

Took a fair few weeks for the importer to bring in more stock, but never mind. Finally got mine. All the hardware is already tested and set up, just needs to be fitted now.

I think I'll definitely give the 6S2P a go, the packs fit in (just), but will probably need a new battery tray. More good news: the tail has a nice solid block of balsa so it will be a piece of cake to fit a Dubro tail wheel.

The only disappointment I had was the rudder hardware downgrade. Instead of the nice metal clevises, they added more of the white plastic pushrod connectors to be used. At least the brass wire connectors screw into that, not glued in like the carbon rods, which by the way I am replacing with Dubro hardware on both rod ends. Just need to find a die to cut the thread on the 4-40 control rods...
Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

Re: hardware . .

I have every confidence that what Sebart have supplied with these planes will adequately do the job intended, however it is not uncommon for modellers to swap items in a kit to their preferred fittings and methods. Just change out what you are not happy with and have FUN .

Cheers, JB
Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 PM
BaldEagel

All very strange, I had one of the first kits to come out and the supplied horns where fibreglass and the linkages where ball links all of very good quality, in fact this is the only ARTF in which I have used all the supplied hardware.

Mike
Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 AM
tIANci

The ball links on my Angel S were smooth as silk, then when I got the WindS and Ms Wind they were kinda tight and there is a slight binding when its level and centered. However, they do work fine on my Ms Wind. Dubro ones are good though, changed them on my WindS.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:44 AM
BaldEagel

Ian

Off topic I know, but which of airframes do you perfer, I ask because I have worn my poor old Angel out and need to replace it, was just going to by another, but if the WindS or Ms Wind are better................................

Mike
Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 AM
tIANci

Mike ... apples and oranges ... Ms Wind is a 50, WindS is a 110. But my own initial impression (still need a lot more flights to really say for sure) is if you got no issues with battery packs then go with the WindS. She is more solid and easier to see. Ms Wind gets lost in the sky due to the colour scheme, its hard to see the wing tips. Also, she is not all that fast, a lot of drag. For me that is nice as I have time to think and I need not worry about going to fast and missing the cue. Both have what I call a typical 'Sebart Feel'. They fly very true, silky smooth and feels just right. Handling is not too light not too heavy. Landings on both planes are the same, they float in slowly. Its amazing. That is how I describe it.

Still nothing beats seeing a bipe fly, especially the snaps and hammerheads.

Funny thing, my Angel S only needed downline and upline mixes on the elevator. The KE was rock solid, no mix. I need it for both the Ms Wind and WindS.

DISCLAIMER: the above info is given by a non competitive flyer who is only starting to learn how to fly straight. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAA ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.