Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Angel S EVO Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Angel S EVO Build Thread

Here's a good one guys, the Angel S makes a pretty good club fun fly plane.<g> It easily does the climb and glide over 2.5 minutes after a 20 second climb out and does pretty well at all the other tasks, as well. This of course is in an event that has a minimum weight limit over 3 lbs so you can't use those high tech fun fly specific airplanes.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 AM
hotrod34a
My Feedback: (36)

Hey Everyone,

Is anyone out there having trouble with the covering on their Angel? All of a sudden the stripes on the bottom of one of my wings and also the stripes on the botton of the stab have come loose. Not in the normal manor though. The clear portion has seperated from the color portion of the stripes. I have never run across this before. Is this some special covering or do they use Ultracote, etc on these models?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Can't say I have seen that . . and looking at the film on mine, I can't believe there is actually a seperate clear layer [sm=confused_smile.gif].

Although, if you need to reshrink the film . . start with a low temp iron and work up. The joins of the film between colours will part in a blink if you don't [:@] !

Cheers, JB
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Hati

I did have one of the stripes slightly lifted at the tip out of the box. Like Jeff said, warm iron fixed it. I haven't finished the build yet to fly it and see if any more lift off or not. Several bubbles I had to shrink out though.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM
hotrod34a

Jb and Hati,

Thanks for the feedback. I have not seen this before either. I've had corners come up, etc., and they are easily ironed back down as you mentioned, with the right temperature. But these strips are going to have to be replaced as the clear film that lifted of has no sticky back on it. It apears that the glue is in the color, which leads me to believe that it might be some sort of Ultracote. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback,

Larry...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time your wife or girlfriend goes shopping go with her to earn some browny points, but don't mention that when she gets to the nail varnish counter that you want some hard as nails, its a clear nail varnish and will stick the trim strip edges down so they never come off, also good if you tie your own fishing fly's for varnishing the heads.

Mike
Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Hati

Any of you guys carried out static and dynamic amp draw test on the Angel? I'm trying to work out what size battery to go for (the 6S2P would bring the plane to 3.3 Kg. Not too keen on that).

What I got on the bench with the 5065 380 kv Turnigy and 16x10 Xoar prop is 38 Amps and around 800 Watts at max throttle. My Outrage packs are crap so the voltage drops quite a lot (nearly 5 volts), hence the low wattage.

I would be really interested how does a static test compare normally to dynamic (in flight) test. The layman's thinking would suggest less Amps as the plane is not restrained, but I'm sure it's more to this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

On a side note, the build is basically finished. Quite a few mods implemented "out of the box". I made a new rudder servo tray to place the servo further back (weight balance and room for the RX in the front of it, freeing up space for the battery), got rid of the canopy magnets and fitted two canopy latches into the fuse and a carbon plate to latch into, Dubro tail wheel and ball links with 4-40 rods. It comes to 2.4 Kg complete with RX pack, but no flight pack.

Quite disappointed in the quality of covering on this plane. Had a few warmer days lately (high 20s, low 30s) and the covering is bubbling up everywhere. Very hard to shrink it too around the edges of the colour overlays. I guess that's what one gets from the chinese factory.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Hi Hati . .

800W will provide VERY 'lazy' perfomance and vertical performance will be poor, especially at 3.3kg which is quite heavy. Are you sure your scales are correct ? (how heavy are your packs?). I asked a friend of mine what his weighed . . his response was "Dunno .. never weighed it ! " Then proceeded to beat everyone with it at a contest in F3A ! !

380kV is low, and will need to run 6S in this plane. The same friend had this motor I believe, and ran 6S with a 17" prop. Using Rhino, Turnigy, or Flightmax 6S packs (which are not expensive and provide excellent perfomance) with a 17" prop should net you around 1100W to 1200W (maybe even a bit more) . . and will be nice . . capable of winning an F3A contest

The covering?? . . mine is OK. A little re-shrink here and there occasionally, but not too bad. Better than a lot of others I have had ! WARNING ! use a cool iron ! ! . . the stuff is LIGHT and the colours will shrink apart if too hot !

Other than that . . this plane is awesome. I have had mine for nearly 2 years now, and still love it ! !

Cheers, JB

PS. I was in at Perth RC today . .
Old 11-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Hati

Jeff, I used 6S 3000 25C Outrage packs for the bench test. Like I said the volt drop was abysmal for a "brand name" lipo and such a low load. The measurements were done with an Eagletree v.3 data logger in "live" mode. I ended up ordering some Zippy 5000 mAh 6S packs that will put the plane to around 3.1 Kg, and will work with 600 size helis too. The recommended Hacker motor is very close on kv rating and Matt13 is using the same motor, just not sure about the prop size.

I guess will just have to wait for the packs to arrive and see how it goes...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

YES . . Matt13 is a friend who bought the Angel off the OTHER friend A 16" prop will work OK, but I understand the 17" gave it more authority (he did a lot of testing with this plane . . and he is a VERY good pilot - F3A Masters ranked). I believe it is a APC 17 x 10E, but maybe Matt can chime in and confirm.

Your 6S set-up will be fine. Could have run 4000's . . that would have been more than adequate, and saved some weight.

Cheers, JB

PS. Yes, the kV is almost the same as the Hacker A50-16S . . which needs to run 6S in this plane. When you mentioned "which size pack to go for" . . I thought you meant Cell count. e.g. 5S instead of 6S to reduce the weight. 5S would turn this motor too slowly.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Hati

ORIGINAL: Jeff Boyd 2

YES . . Matt13 is a friend who bought the Angel off the OTHER friend I believe it is a APC 17 x 10E, but maybe Matt can chime in and confirm.

Your 6S set-up will be fine. Could have run 4000's . . that would have been more than adequate, and saved some weight.

Cheers, JB
Yep very true, I had to consider though multiple use for these new batts, as I fly helis too and plan to get something bigger than my current 500 class. I considered both 4000 and 5000 6S packs from HC, but the 4000s would restrict me severely in the choice of a 600 size heli. The weight penalty for going 5000 was only between 50 and 150 grams per pack compared to the 4000s, so I went with the compromise.

I always wanted a bit heavier plane just to cope better with the winds here that you may have had a chance to experience in the last few days.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: Hati

I always wanted a bit heavier plane just to cope better with the winds here that you may have had a chance to experience in the last few days.
Hmmm . . no wonder Steve Coram flys so well in wind

Cheers, JB
Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JB ... Being light is not the answer to everything huh? Heheheheee ...
Old 12-04-2009, 08:03 PM
hotrod34a

Anyone in the US have a NIB Angels 50e in the green and red color scheme for sale? Just checking, thanks,

Larry...
Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 PM
efliernz

I've had my Angel 50e 2 months but the wind had kept it to 5 flights before I had a competition yesterday. Only sportsman but they won't let me fly it in that again after yesterday...

Setup: 6S5000 Flightmax packs, Turnigy 50-55 400Kv and a CC85HV esc. 14x7 and 14x10 tested.
I have a timing issue (like a few have) with this motor. I have tried two very different esc's set to low, med + high timing. I settled on the CC85 on high timing as it appears to be most reliable BUT in the first round yesterday, I got a couple of "knocks", and then in the upline of the outside loop, it let out a screech for a second requiring me to reduce the throttle to zero, and bring the power back up. Yes I finished the move (gotta have points...) but the on-board wattmetter showed a peak of 140A!!! Thats 2550W.

I cant trust this motor any more so time to go shopping. I have had a good run with Turnigy motors but I'm not going to be cheap on a model that (down under) costs a heap of $$$ I did wonder about the 50-65 but I'm not sure now. I've seen suggestions for the HP-4025 and Scorpions. Time to search here I guess.

I did win by the way - love the plane. Built almost standard but with ball-joints all around. I have a canopy secure latch as the only extra.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: efliernz

Only sportsman but they won't let me fly it in that again after yesterday...
You're joking . . right ?

ORIGINAL: efliernz

Setup: 6S5000 Flightmax packs, Turnigy 50-55 400Kv and a CC85HV esc. 14x7 and 14x10 tested.
Yes I finished the move (gotta have points...) but the on-board wattmetter showed a peak of 140A!!! Thats 2550W.
WOW . . something is seriously wrong there ! I doubt you could pull that kind of Amps / Watts with a 14" Prop on that motor. It would also mean at that 'peak' (Amps / Watts) you would be pulling the 6S pack down to 18.2V (3.03v per Cell). Something's just not right there.

JB
Old 12-06-2009, 01:59 AM
efliernz

The usual max current was 54A, around 1150W. That is how it goes 99.9% of the time. It was just a spike, but not good!!! Most of my flying is around 25A. I only used full power during the loops.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 PM
eldoubleu

Hi all, new to this thread, but have read from the beginning.
First I would like to thank all for their opinions and experiences, which have been most helpful. I just received my Angel S and can’t wait to start the build. But unfortunately for the Angel I’m headed to Florida soon, and won’t be back until May, and can’t bring her with me…….sob.. I fly EP only and this will be my largest to date. I was bit by the "Pattern" bug this summer after purchasing and flying an [link=http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=256]Aero-Works Stingray[/link] and flying with a couple of guys flying 2M planes.

I chose the Angel S 50E after, to my disbelieve, a friend who flies 2M F3A let me fly his Angel S. So from that and what I’ve read here I know I’m just going to love this bird!

My plans so far for the Angel S:

Extreme Flight TORQUE REVOLUTION 4016T-500
15-8 APC
Airboss 80 Elite
Rhino 4900mAh 5S1P 20C Lipoly Pack
5245MG servos

Here's a picture I took to get me through until I get back. Haven’t seen this scheme on this thread yet and thought maybe others would like to see.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46405.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	1330715  
Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 AM
hotrod34a

Larry,

I bought a used Angel several months back to see if I wanted to make the conversion from glow to electric. It had the same exact equipment that you plan on outfitting yours with except it had a Phoenix 80 ESC. Your setup is a perfect combo for this plane and you will be very happy with it. Mine was the Red/Green scheme. Because of how well the Angel performed, I made the decision to go totally EP so I sold the Angel and all f my glow fuel planes and stuff and bought two new EP models. I missed the Angel, so last week I ordered another one, and it is due to arrive today. I ordered the same scheme as you did as I can see yellow a lot better than I can white. Sorry to hear it will be May before you get to work on yours. Thanks for sharing your pics. Have a safe trip, and I know you will enjoy your Angel.

Your other brother Larry....
Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 PM
hotrod34a

Wow, this is one quiet thread as of late.............. Hope everyone had a great Christmas..............
Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hotrod

The problem is with a airframe as well sorted as this one is out of the box there is not much to disscuss except what motor, ESC and batteries, I have an AXI 4130/16 in mine and use 4350Mah FlightPower batteries and can't fault the performance.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and I wish all a Happy New Year.

Mike
Old 12-28-2009, 03:03 AM
hotrod34a

Mike,

I believe that you are right, can't really find any faults with this plane. Happy New Year to you too,

Larry...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Velco

I made some 10 flights with angel so far and I can say that am very impressed. But I have couple of things to ask:

The cables on the rudder are crossed but are touching the last rib segment in the fuselage before exiting the fus. I can clearly hear the noise metal against wood. Is this common?

When performing KE I put her in 90 degrees and if I want to change the altitude (add more rudder) in KE I notice that she wants to go over 90 degrees to some 110, there she remains stable. I read through the thread and I did not notice someone else with such "problem". I can easily correct it manually but am curios why this happens, what could be the cause? I have not noticed this on my other planes.

Last night I have sprayed some Teflon spray an all ball joints and now they feel very, very smooth. Really helped!

My CG is at 145mm, a bit too forward for my taste when flying inverted but so far I am keeping it as is.

My setup is the recommended one: A5016S, 70A Hacker ESC, 6S Rhino 3700 25C and TR 16x10 wood prop. I have changed wheel spats together with some larger wheels and rear wheel to make it more appropriate for the flying field I usually fly at.

I also have an A5012S that I plan to use with 5S Rhino 4900 20C and 15x10. Plan is to put this combo in Angel once my Wind 50 arrives as 16S and 6S 3700 will go there.  Motocalc gives more thrust to 6S combo so my guess is as Wind 50 is going to be slightly heavier than Angel 50 I am doing the right thing. Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
electricdarr

I got my Angel last week from [link=http://www.espritmodel.com/]Esprit Model[/link]....

The first shipment was the Yellow Red and Black version. It looks great. I haven't flown pattern for some time. So I was looking for something that I could get my feet wet with. I'm going to use the Axi 4130/16 with CC80 amp ESC on 6?5?s. I've used the Axi on other planes on 6s 4000 and was impressed with the power. I realize the Angel will require a different kind of power.

The wing servos are in and the tail wheel is installed. Rudder is installed. I'm not big on the rudder taking abuse from the ground so I changed to the Sullivan system.

As I look outside at all the white stuff I think I'll just enjoy the build....
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

electricdarr ... you gonna enjoy her ... as for your pull-pull rudder, its easier to install it from INSIDE to OUTSIDE, means get it connected on the servo end first because the compartment is kinda tight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.