Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Hyde Mounts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hyde Mounts

There seem so many Hyde mounts these days. For a CA Model Osmose which Hyde mount is recommended. I will be using a nose ring. It seems a choice between AR and CR?

Thanks

Brandon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hyde Mounts

Which engine? Do NOT uset he CR mount in that plane with a DZ....

AR works. The AR70/75/80 series of mounts are hard to beat, but do NOT let the YS kick on that mount on that airframe. Although it could damage your chin easily with any mount installed, it is much more pronounced with the AR80 for instance. using that mount you have to take all precautions when starting so as not to let the engine kick hard.

If using a 2 stroke, just get an AR and call it a day...

-Mike
    Thanks to my sponsors over the years!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: brandon ransley

There seem so many Hyde mounts these days. For a CA Model Osmose which Hyde mount is recommended. I will be using a nose ring. It seems a choice between AR and CR?

Thanks

Brandon
    Hyde AR 75 Soft mount / Budd Eng. nose ring. Thats what I got on my Osmose.
    regards.
    Humberto.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys - it will be a YS170DZ. What is the difference between the AR 70, 75 and 80.

We will be soft starting (spin the prop then switch on the glow) to avoid kick back

B

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The numbers are supposedly current drain reduction ratings. The higher the number, the softer the mount. The 80 is noticably softer than the 70.

IMHO the 80 is best left for very sturdy wood airframes, and the 70 is better for composite planes. Just an observation over the course of testing.

-Mike
    Thanks to my sponsors over the years!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just to report on some great service from Merle Hyde. After considering the mounts I ordered an AR80 and an AR75 plus 2 nose rings on 29 Feb. Merle received the wired money on Monday 3 March and I got a mail today - Wednesday 5 March saying the mounts are made and being shipped. Great turnaround!!

First time I have oredered direct from Merle. (And with the £ so strong against the $ great price too!!)

Brandon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brandon, how do we order direct from merle hyde? ..does he have a website? ..e-mail address?
    I have difficulty deciding which mount to use on my composite shinden w ys170. thanks
    poypoy
    \"if you\'\'re not FLYING, then you\'\'re not TRYING\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ground reached up and smote my airplane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Poypoy

message sent to you

Regards

Brandon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all

Is there a need for using Soft mounts on a wooden airframe? I've heard they are important on a composite plane

Im building one of them, scratch built, 2 M for pattern. Firewall is 3 mm ply and CF on both sides. The cowl will be made of wood too, sanded till round. And reinforced with glass.
    Engine is OS 160, piped.
    Soft mounts ( specially Hyde ) are hard ( if not impossible) to find and expensive , here where i live

Thanks, I wait your opinion

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would definitely continue to use them on a wood airframe. While the wood airframe might absorb some vibration better than composites, it is still very hard on them. Soft mounts, even on a wood airframe will extend the life of the airframe and radio equipment significantly.

Arch
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you absolutely cannot get a Hyde or Budd mount...it is worth the trouble to make a similar version. Any airframe will benefit from a soft mount. Ola Fremming has a nice tutorial on his website:
    http://www.ofremmi.info/HowTo/Hyde-mount/HydeMount.htm

Best Regards,
    Mark
    NSRCA 3656
    www.NSRCA.us
    www.insightrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ve been paying some atention to the sullivan system...its pretty simple to build, and cheap...I can find those isolators near home. Will it handle the 160 ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49029.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1317452  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used the sullivan for years with a 2 stroke 1.20 and never had a problem. It will need a nose ring because it moves quite a bit.

Tim
    Tim B.
    My team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Brandon,

If you ever use a mount like that, try to re enforce it...it is a bad enginering mount...mine broke one day before the world championhsip starts....caused many nightmares when sleeping...and no sleep all night long before the first round trying to fix it with some basic tools...I was very lucky that my plane still exists.

I am gonna try this modified version the fixed one is still on the plane which goes directly to the bin...the quality of the original aluminium is very bad you can cut it with scissors no joke...

Regards,
    Nikos

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75810.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	1317541  
    Please check my blog:
    http://nikolas-3djunk.blogspot.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xcead

Hello all

Is there a need for using Soft mounts on a wooden airframe? I've heard they are important on a composite plane

Im building one of them, scratch built, 2 M for pattern. Firewall is 3 mm ply and CF on both sides. The cowl will be made of wood too, sanded till round. And reinforced with glass.
    Engine is OS 160, piped.
    Soft mounts ( specially Hyde ) are hard ( if not impossible) to find and expensive , here where i live

Thanks, I wait your opinion
    Definitely use the soft mount, The noise reduction and vibration reduction give a superior result.

I never owned a Hydemount however. They are so simple to make that I make a new one every time I want to adjust something. I am talking the Hyde style strictly. The design is the best around.

Somewhere in this site I have a tutorial on making one. It's for the ZDZ 40 cc engine however, dimensions can be adjusted to what you want. I have just completed a soft mount for the 30 cc Syssa gasoline engine which is also set-up with stand offs. But most of mine have been constructed with maple bearers for the engine mounting lugs, which works super and doesn't need any extra reinforcement.

Point is that technique is straight forward to learn and worth the trouble.

MattK
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is there any way to tell visually between the AR 70, AR 75 and AR 80 Hyde mounts?
    Core competition values and principles - the set of standards that all associations and their CDs must adhere to in order to ensure fair play and inclusion

Those people charged with running competitions must treat competitors with respect, equality and inclusiveness. They must act with integrity, transparency and democracy in order to ensure that good sportsmanship, fair play and excellence prevail. The contributions, needs and values of all competitors must be taken into account at all times.