Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YS Engines NO WHERE TO BUY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS Engines NO WHERE TO BUY!!!

Hi guys,

Looking to buy a new YS 140 but NO ONE seems to have them in stock!! Whats the inside track in getting one?? Central and Chief are sayin mid to late March for the new batches. I have ordered a new plane, and am seeking the rest of the needed items to get it going. The next contest (west coast) is in early April, so i'm allready short for time. Is their ANY known to be in stock ANYWHERE??
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
GuyIncognito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS Engines NO WHERE TO BUY!!!

Try Ohio RC products. That's where I bought mine last summer. Good price and service. $419

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/comer...?idProduct=289
Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The shippment of new engines left Japan aready and should be in the hands of hobby shops in a couple weeks.

I hope you realize Mid-March is just 2 weeks away?

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 AM
SKYPILOT

Geez Troy,

We hav'nt even had the pleasure of meeting yet and you allready think i'm an idiot[X(] Yes, i'm fully aware that mid March is two wks. away, BUT, thats also two wks. of lost time. Lost time for building, testing, trimming PRACTICING.

I want the engine right now, not in two weeks
Old 03-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Oly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skypilot,
Perhaps you should have ordered it a while back???

The world doesn't revolve around you, or does it?

I guess you wanted it yesterday.

Oly
Old 03-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott,

I don't know what to tell you. YS engines are always in High demand.

Perhaps you should be thankful the wait is only 2 weeks and not 6 months.

I never suggested your lack of planning ahead was a direct result of IQ. Rather I merely tried to point out your lack of planning didn't constitute much of an emergency.

I guess it truly is an emergency.

My Mistake

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 AM
SKYPILOT

Guys,

This has NOTHING to do with lack of planning or the world revolving around anybody (thanks for that one). Look, i just recently decided to come back too pattern after being away from it for a number of years. I JUST aquired the funds to take on the project. I just TODAY, got the plane ordered. I would simply like to give it a go again. Instead of dinging me, how about helping a fellow pattern guy out. If someone has a new engine, be-it a hobbyshop or a private sale, or a lead to one, i'd like to buy it. Simple. I started this thread looking for help. Was that a mistake??
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 AM
Andy P.

Here you go skypilot,

http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/product...11&subCatID=19

Showing stock!

Hope this helps fellow pattern flyer!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Andy.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

That link takes you to a 170 he wants a 140.

What's wrong with this one - considered it myself ?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=372457
Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: SKYPILOT

Hi guys,

Looking to buy a new YS 140 but NO ONE seems to have them in stock!! Whats the inside track in getting one?? Central and Chief are sayin mid to late March for the new batches. I have ordered a new plane, and am seeking the rest of the needed items to get it going. The next contest (west coast) is in early April, so i'm allready short for time. Is their ANY known to be in stock ANYWHERE??
Try this: http://www.gravesrc.com/YSE0097_YS_1..._p/yse0097.htm

SKYPILOT, I am sure you are a nice guy in person, but seriously you gotta lighten up. If you alienate Troy some of us are really gonna be, uhh, peeved. I never knew what it is really like to assemble an ARF well until Troy's thread on the Focus Sport, and I'd hate to see that wealth of knowledge lost.

Having said that, if the link above gets you what you need to get going, then you're quite welcome, and I really mean that.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Which airplane are you putting the YS into?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
SKYPILOT

Thanks Bob,

I called Graves RC to double check on that link for the DZ140. Turns out, they no longer have it in stock, BUT, they DID have a 140 Sport, and a 140 "Limited" in stock. I have no idea what the limited version is. Is this a good engine? The guy i talked to seemed very knowledgeable on YS's and said it's a great engine for pattern. I hope it is since i bought it on the spot Whats you guys opinion on this "limited"?

It's for an Otop that i'm getting from Patty at BVM

Troy, and anyone else,
Sorry if the earlier posts touched any nerves, they were never meant too.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Scott,

The "L" was the last top end pattern engine YS made before the DZ series. It is/was argueably the most powerful of those engines. The 140 "sport" is a detuned version of the same engine.

The sport should have plenty of power to fly the OTOP. Either one is still supported by YS. Pick your poison, you're all set.

I really shouldn't touch on the rest but.....I don't have a lot of common sense

Pattern equipment of any kind is much more specialized and difficult to get than it used to be. It's not as mainstream anymore. Some of the things we want are however, higly sought after by sport flyers. This makes an already small supply very limited. YS is not a huge factory, they are relatively small in comparison. They do make the best 4 stroke pattern engines in the world (in my opinion) and so, well, they can be hard to get. Heck they are hard for ME to get sometimes and I'm a field rep!

I realize you're chomping at the bit and ready to get in there and play. But the "I need it yesterday" approach will never work with modern era pattern equipment. I wish it did work that way, but it's just not the case. Just relax. 2 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. After all this isn't pylon racing

-Mike
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
MHester

Oops I'm not awake yet. I see you already bought the L.

Good move, you'll love it.

-Mike
Old 03-01-2008, 01:39 PM
cmoulder

Scott, glad to hear they had one. From what Mike says, it sounds like you got the right one.

Good luck with the new plane and engine! Both are gems.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
SKYPILOT

Thanks guys,

I'm all relaxed and chilled, a nights rest and a little perspective has done wonders. The engine and plane are both paid for, and both will ship out on Monday, so it all worked out. It is intresting that such a small segment of the overall hobby as is pattern, can be at the same time, very satisfying and very frustrating. With the jets and giant scale stuff i've been doing for the last decade, i've admitedly, become kinda spoiled, the stuff is so easy to get, theirs never any waiting, just make a call and it happens. Your right, pattern stuff is a little different. I'll adjust to it ok, i'll just need to practice up on my patients a bit

Thanks for everything guys!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
MHester

The good news is, it gets better with time. The more you already have, the less critical something "new" becomes. if you already have a plane, engine, etc, then it's not nearly as big a deal to wait for a new one.

One tip though: get spares when they are in stock. If you wait until the last minute, I garauntee you Murphy will kick in. JR gear sets for instance...YS engines....C/F wing tubes.....C/F langing gear or pants.....that sort of thing. If you know that eventually you will have to replace the gears in your servos (and with a YS, you WILL)...go ahead and get a couple of spare sets when they are in stock. It may be hording, but it's also smart.

Otherwise I garauntee you, it will be a few days before a contest you are really ready for, and you will then notice that you have a lot of play in the servo, and then you make the call: backordered and not due for 3 months.

Don't be that guy [8D]

-Mike