Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Black-Magic - Sport (1.10 Sized)?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Black-Magic - Sport (1.10 Sized)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black-Magic - Sport (1.10 Sized)?

So far, it's that easy......

-M
Old 05-08-2008, 12:33 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MHester

Ok, I'll try to post a sneak peek tonight. Nothing much at all, but just a quick pic so you can get an idea of the simplicity of the construction. I framed this thing up in about an hour, and that was sitting at the laser cutter's shop designing pieces as I glued.....
Mike, I'm disappointed! You have one framed and we haven't seen it yet?!

I look forward to seeing the first pics, just let us know when the line forms for pre-orders and deposits.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM
pappy35

NO!!! It's MY thread!!! I GET THE FIRST ONE!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: pappy35

NO!!! It's MY thread!!! I GET THE FIRST ONE!!!

Boy, this could turn ugly in a hurry... I'll agree you got dibs on the first one. After that, it's every man for himself.

Mike, you better hurry, the natives are getting restless!

Mark
Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM
pappy35

OK. Where's this Hester guy live??!!?? I'm gonna sell tickets for the line that forms behind...

...ME!!! ahhhahahahahahahaaa!!!!!!!!!! Their mine!!! All mine!!!!!!! [&:] Muahahahahahaaaaa.......[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]

Anyone know where his super-secret flight test facility is? I'll get an 800mm lens on my Nikon and will the sell the images to the highest bidder!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 PM
MHester

LOL you guys ain't right!!!!!

ok, teaser pic coming in a bit....

-Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM
pappy35

Mike, when you going to the test site? The USAF Space Command needs at least an hour to process a high resolution (REDACTED cm minimum) KH-14 recon mission request...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 AM
MHester

CRAP

ok pics will have to wait, mycamera and my computer isn't cooperating. I REALLY need a new camera...

-M
Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send me the plane, camera and computer and I'll take care of it for you and propmtly ship the camera and computer back. :-)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 AM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

Yes I know where his secret test facility is. And no I ain't telling.

Mike just put you V3 pictures on this site with a 12 inch ruler marked as 13 inches. We will never know the difference anyway.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 PM
lodomjr
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Guys,

I just received my Black Magic 110 ARC from Custom Airframes. Man did it look great. Oh yeah, and then I woke up. LOLOLOL

Lawrence
Team Black Magic
Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 PM
mmattockx

CRAP

ok pics will have to wait, mycamera and my computer isn't cooperating. I REALLY need a new camera...

-M
Mike, have you got your camera and computer on speaking terms yet?

Mark
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I'll be in his shop this weekend..if he doesnt post them by then..I'll take some

Arch
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

I'll be in his shop this weekend..if he doesnt post them by then..I'll take some

Arch
All right, guys. It's after the weekend and the hangover should be starting to receed a bit... Any pics?

Mark
Old 05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
MHester

I'm redoing a couple of things. trust me, you'll be glad I did.

Hang tight, we're getting there!

-M
Old 05-28-2008, 01:56 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

How well would a OS Max 90 FSR do on this airframe ?

Thanks,
John
Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 PM
MHester

Marginal.....even if it's under 7 lbs. It's pretty draggy.

My laser cutter will be here tomorrow for a 4 day weekend to work out the details on this plane. So by Sunday we SHOULD have a new one framed up and the plugs started for the composites. We're actually in very good shape to fly the plane in a few weeks, and then I'll let you know how much and more details.

Another thing I'm doing is sourcing out parts. landing gear, tubes, etc. And trying to determine if cost-wise it's feasable to make a complete kit...with all wood, parts, equipment, everything except the engine mount and finishing materials.

So what do you guys think, keep the price down and let you shop for wood and parts, or provide all the parts necessary to complete the kit...understanding that it will probably cost as much as most ARFs in the same range? or maybe offer both? I'm not worried about "competing" with the ARFs, it's apples and oranges. Anybody who would want this plane wants it for what it is, not for "I could get an ARF for the same price". If that's the case, get the ARF and make life easy This one is for the rest of us, the builders who want a no compromise airframe to fly pattern with.

One thing I won't do is put junk in the box. Some things don't need to be unobtanium and carbon (LOL) but some things are necessary for a quality long lasting airframe. For instance the wing tube will most likely be anodized aluminum. It's less than half the cost of carbon, and easier to actually GET. In this size the extra ounce just isn't worth it. I'd rather use choise materials and save 6 ounces than worry about that one ounce. if you want to save that ounce too, go for it.

Just sharing my thought process as I work this one out. Let me know what YOU want. No garauntee that I'll do it, but it never hurts to provide some input because I WILL consider it.

I can't wait to get this sucker flying....

-Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
mmattockx

So what do you guys think, keep the price down and let you shop for wood and parts, or provide all the parts necessary to complete the kit...understanding that it will probably cost as much as most ARFs in the same range? or maybe offer both?
I would say both, that lets people decide how much effort they want to expend versus initial cost. I also like the idea of a "basic" component pack, with maybe an option to upgrade to a "premium" level for extra $$. Personally, I know I would be happy with the basic level because it will not cost an arm and a leg and will give me a quality airframe. I won't be able to tell if it is 3oz heavier than the premium one at my skill level and I won't care. I can spend the money I save on fuel and practice, which is way more beneficial in the long run.

Mark
Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
MHester

I don't have any plans to make a "pro" version of this plane. Basic only. The only question is, how much to put in the box and what will it cost? Sorry guys no plans for carbon except the stabilizer spar.

So I guess the question is, complete kit and short kits?

-Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
onewasp

Preference for a complete kit________if the decision is for short kits, I'll have no choice.

I spend a fair amount of time scratch building my own stuff______I simply don't want the hassle for a change.
____and trust me each time the hassle seems to take longer. The LHS's seem to think a contest or even decent balsa selection is w___a___y out there ![]
Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
vx99

mike,

i'm not sure how international shipping would work out with a box large enough for a complete kit (or even if you have plans to make it available internationally), but my vote is for complete kit too.

sourcing things like contest balsa, wing tubes, a quality deps system, control linkages etc isn't easy in my little part of australia. central hobbies and other u.s. stores can deliver here, but if it all comes with the plane kit, so much the better.

also, do you have any recommendations yet for servos?

cheers, dave williams

Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM
pappy35

Mike,

Great to know it's coming! My preference would be for both a short and full kit. I would buy a full kit first and then most likey short kits to fiddle with thereafter. It's very hard to get good wood around here and I'd rather not hunt-down sources for the various bits. In the end though we need you to maintain a viable business so we can continue to have steady supply of affordable airplanes. If you kit it, we will come!

As for preferable alloys to use, we here in the Aerospace Industry have conclusively determined time and time again that Hopealloy (TM & pat.pend.) far exceeds Unobtanium. It is infinitely strong, has zero density, is free, has temporal-distortion properties of such potency that shedules are ALWAYS met, and finally, the supply is limited only by quanity on-hand of the purchaser's opium derivative of choice.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 PM
slim56
My Feedback: (4)

Mike:

I've been looking forward to this one. I would like to see a kit with all wood, main gear, wing & stab tubes, canopy, & a pattern for dragon graphics.

Please let me know when it is available.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll vote for a short kit just to make your life easier.

There are plenty of places to buy balsa online if the local supply is less than contest grade. Besides we all have our favorite hardware, landing gear and some may even have a stockpile of balsa waiting for the 1.10 sized Black Magic......hey wait....I resemble that remark.

Is mine in the mail yet????????????????????
Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 AM
mmattockx

-Mike
Complete kit.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.