Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Black-Magic - Sport (1.10 Sized)?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Black-Magic - Sport (1.10 Sized)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black-Magic - Sport (1.10 Sized)?

LOL looks like I just missed my #1 fan [8D]

Oh well, nothing like a good net slander to start the day eh!

At any rate, yes all of those engines SHOULD work. What I'll do is get a standard measurement from the firewall to the spinner, and you can see if you can find a engine/mount combination that works out. That should be the only real question, power shouldn't be an issue with any 120 sized engine....although the OS 120 4s might be pressed.....maybe, I don't know I'm guessing.

Now let me restate, I won't offer pre-orders until I go into production. As in tested, tweaked, materials bought and sent, and a good start on stock. As many inquiries as I get daily on this plane, it would be suicide to underestimate the demands for this kit. I do learn....slow, but I learn

I don't think it'll be all that long before I am able to post some "skunkwork" pics of the plane so you can get an idea of what it looks like. I'll make sure to take some with it set next to the VF3 so you can get a size comparison. But thanks for the inquiries and compliments. You're the guys I do this for, not some anonymous bonehead with an emotional problem. Look at it this way: I've got haterz now, I must be doing something right LOL

-Mike
Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MHester

Look at it this way: I've got haterz now, I must be doing something right LOL

-Mike
You know you've made it when...

Mark

P.S. - Thanks to the mod who cleaned up that little outburst.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Cdallas2

Can you let us in on the construction??

I think a built up wing would be cool..... Save a ton on shipping on getting it up here.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 AM
mac91

Nooooo, I want foam cores! Mike can u please let me know if you can supply a plans and composites kit for this one like the Black magic VF 2.2. The shipping of even a short kit to Australia would be a fortune. I am busting to get a black magic and the 110 size suits me so well, just like a lot of other people here. Could you send me an e-mail to [email protected] about this possibility. Cheers Sam
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Speaking of 110 size Pattern . . have you guys seen this thing coming soon??? (not to take anything away from this thread. I am sure the Magic 110 will be awesome).

It's Sylvestri's new WIND 110 from Sebart Models . .

Wing span (m) : 174cm ( 68.5" )
Length (m) : 180cm ( 70.8" )
Wing area (dm²) : 58dm²

While it was primarily designed for EP . . some doublers and glass on the engine box, perhaps a small amount of strategic reinforcing, add a YS110 and it would be very nice

Very similar to Seba's ANGEL S he used to gain 5th at the Worlds in Argentina . .

Not sure of a final price but could be around US$300 . . not bad.

The Blue and Red plane (with mainly white fuse) is my ANGEL S50E = 62.5" span and 4.6 lbs plus battery. Cost = US$270. Very similar I think? Nicely built ARF's and great flying planes. I have a feeling there is going to be a few great 110 sized planes around.

JB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86935.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	913008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90083.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	913009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62315.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	913010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27682.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	913011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq90088.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	913012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb45624.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	913013  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
pappy35

Yeah but I want to BUILD (not ASSEMBLE) it!

Built-up wings would be OK but I don't care one way or the other. They each have their own pros and cons.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Jeff Boyd 2

Speaking of 110 size Pattern . . have you guys seen this thing coming soon??? (not to take anything away from this thread. I am sure the Magic 110 will be awesome).

It's Sylvestri's new WIND 110 from Sebart Models . .
JB
Beautiful planes, too bad they won't produce a kit of anything. A 45-50 powered Angel S would be a sweet lunch time practice plane.

I want foam wings if possible, I seem to have much better luck building them light, solid and straight than built up wings... Maybe it's just me.

Mark
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Mike and I talked about some of the options for this plane in the early stages of the design. As far as I know it will have 2-piece foam core wings. Basically it's just like the bigger 'Magics. Mike was going to make it a 1-piece wing to avoid the issues with wing tubes (aluminim is heavy and carbon is hard to get sometimes). I really pushed the 2-piece wing idea and that's what he ended up doing. (Yeah!) Don't worry, this one is going to be worth the wait. Just be patient. Mike is still trying to get caught up on built-up 2-meter Black Magics that he promised to people. Some people just don't want to BUILD airplanes anymore (or maybe it's the time constraint - I can relate to that). What a shame. ARF's are nice but there's nothing like a plane that you built yourself. Now let Mike get some sleep so he can finish this little bird up...

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
MHester

That's probably a great flying plane.

but as they said, it's an ARF. Nothing wrong with that, it's just different. And there's a zillion to choose from, all reasonably priced (well most anyway).

This plane will be a kit, with foam wings, 2 piece. Built essentially like the Vf3 with a few major differences to take ALL of the pain out of the build. I am going to strongly suggest monokote so even finishing is a no brainer. Of course if you want to glass and paint it, go for it! The structure will be sloid so that's an option.

Power plants like I said, anything in the 120 size range should work. Although it'll be sort of based on the YS 110 with the short hatori muffler, it will also have the ability to easily add a pipe tunnel if you want to go that way.

And of course, electric. I have a special set up I am designing this plane around that is failry cheap, reliable, and uses 8s packs instead of 10s....although 10s would be an option with the right motor. I'm thinking cost vs weight vs power, and the 8s set up is the best compsomise I have found yet. And no it's not an AXI or one of the expensive brands, it's pretty cheap.

Yes, I am buried in 2 meter projects at the moment....but I am almost done!!!!! I have a couple more I need to build this spring (including....perish the thought...one for me)... but I am just about to break this project open.

Stay tuned....

-Mike
Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
mmattockx

Yes, I am buried in 2 meter projects at the moment....but I am almost done!!!!! I have a couple more I need to build this spring (including....perish the thought...one for me)... but I am just about to break this project open.

Stay tuned....

-Mike
Hey Mike,

When you get this done, maybe start thinking of a nice 45-50 sized one for people who like playing around with the smaller stuff (like me).

Mark
Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM
pappy35

NO!!! NO!!! Next We want a DA-150 sized Black Magic!!! WAIT!!! How about one for a Jetcat Titan!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:59 PM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

how about a mini 24" Black Magic ??? or 38" ???? foamie !!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45250.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	913361  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM
MHester

hey man, those foamies ROCK!!!!

-Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

OK, that was just to obvious guys.....

Chuck
Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
MHester

LOL

Ever flown one of those foamies? I'm not kidding.

but ok ok back to the 110....

-Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 PM
slim56
My Feedback: (4)

Yes Mike another fan getting a little further into pattern, currently learning on a Runaway powered with an old YS91 and once you have flown a pattern plane (all be it old) all other pale. Impatiently waiting for the 110 BM, to put around a 'pumped' Webra 120.

Ken
Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM
MHester

Won't be too long.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Cdallas2

Won't be too long.

-Mike

K.... that's just teasing.... [:'(]

Can we get some pics, even in the bones would be pretty cool.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:41 PM
MHester

Sure....won't be too long....LOL

Seriously I am out of room at the moment, but that is about to change. As soon as it does, I'll post some pics.

-Mike
Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
mmattockx

Sure....won't be too long....LOL

[)]

Seriously I am out of room at the moment, but that is about to change. As soon as it does, I'll post some pics.

-Mike
Just bumping this thread to make sure Mike doesn't let it slide under the radar. It's been over a month now, Mike. Any pics??

Mark
Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 PM
lodomjr
My Feedback: (6)

Black Magic 110, what a thought. Could this be true? I can't wait. Man I want one now and I bet this bird is going to be cool to fly. Alright Mikey tighten up and GET R DUN!

Lawrence
Old 05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know Mike is working on it and I'm waiting for one too. He has said it won't come to market until he is happy with the way it flies, so I guess we'll have to wait until he's gotten the design to meet his standards. It should certainly be worth the wait.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
MHester

LOL

Soon, soon.....but soon is a relative term. It's "next".

-Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 09:56 AM
MHester

Ok, I'll try to post a sneak peek tonight. Nothing much at all, but just a quick pic so you can get an idea of the simplicity of the construction. I framed this thing up in about an hour, and that was sitting at the laser cutter's shop designing pieces as I glued.....

As I have previously stated my goal for this plane is simplicity and unequalled flight characteristics in a plane of this size. It shouldn't be hard to get right, but the less work for you, the more for me on the front end in engineering and making complicated molds, jigs, details, etc. the foam cores will build up just like the VF3, and the fuselage is similar....without the complicated areas. it's designed to be self aligning so you don't need a jig (sorry Pete LOL)

Yeah I'm focused on the construction and engineering aspect of the project right now. The prototype will fly very soon, and as soon as it does and I am satisfied, we'll begin taking orders. I'd STRONGLY suggest ordering early as the demand for this thing is so far, pretty staggering to me. I can tell you now I am shooting for the first wave to be shipped in August and see no reason why that isn't easily attainable. I'll post details on this when it's more clear to me. My only concern is that it has no coupling and does as good of a job with the wind as it's big brother....if we can solve that problem, then we have a REAL full tilt pattern plane in this size range, not "cute but not a 2 meter". So far it looks extremely promising.

Don't even ask about price yet, I have absolutely no idea. And no it won't be available as an ARF or a sheeted kit, I don't think....at least not at first. I may be able to do sheeted kits if I can keep the cost reasonable. ARF is another matter, that requires a TON of cash up front and a working relationship with an overseas manufacturer, which I don't have as of yet....and may never, because I am picky. of course if enough people called Chris at Extreme Flight and convinced him to ARF it, that would be different LOL But in truth then it might lose it's appeal? I dunno. (I'm just teasing, do NOT call Chris and bother him, he'd kill me)

As far as how it looks, no suprises there, it looks like a VF3, just smaller. When you nail an aerodynamic package that works this well, it's hard to be convinced to change anything.

Oh for whatever it's worth, I fully intend to have one flying at the nats this year. So anybody that wants to play with it, or the VF3 for that matter, we can do that at some point, I have an open transmitter policy on my planes. heck if it flies good enough I may fly it a round or 2 AT the nats [8D]

Ok gotta get back to the foam.....

-Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I turned the jig production over to Ken since my son takes all my time.....guess you should say sorry Ken.

If it's that easy to frame up and build I really can't wait since my second V2 is still waiting to get some love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.