Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS 140 question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 140 question?

I am still flying old technology OS140RX. The engine shows a small hesitation when advancing throttle after some extended inverted or negative G flight, for example the split S found in the old Advanced schedule. Sometimes it "pops" and puffs smokes. Is the idle needle too lean or to rich? Transition is good though, if it could only be more linear....
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: OS 140 question?

Do you have one glow plug or two? I remember that the only solution I found was to install a mintor head with two plugs. I believe that newer versions do not have a problem. I am sure that someone with a lot of experience in this engine is going to help you.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone
Old 03-30-2008, 03:37 PM
ram_z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Aresti

I had the same problem few years ago.

First try to adjust the idle needle leaner.
Second option is replace the piston ring.

How many flights the engine has done so far?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Aresti-RCU

One "F" plug, the piston ring was replaced 40-50 flights ago, together with the rear bearing....
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
prophecypilot
My Feedback: (19)

Try leaning the low end very slightly. If it still acts up you may try lowering the fuel pressure a little. I've flown one since they first came out and always used the stock head with an F plug. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Aresti-RCU

One "F" plug, the piston ring was replaced 40-50 flights ago, together with the rear bearing....
Is it a stainless steel bearing? The non-stainless bearings can go bad in just a few flights and cause alot of weird problems. . .
Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 PM
ROGUE ROVER

Hi guy`s

I am also running an OS 140 RX P in my Zen and i have started experiencing engine failures in flight all of a sudden. The engine itself has had probably about 40 - 50 flights on it. The engine seems to test fine with ground testing but not sure what is going on. I have checked all bolts and fuel lines ( plug works ) with all seemingly ok. After reading this post i now am leaning towards a dodgy rearbearing, because also the engine does seem to be running a little hotter than normal. The bearing running at this hotter temperature i have been told can cause the fuel to boil in the pump and thus cause fuel flow dramas. ( methonol boils at around 80 - 85 Degrees C.

But im still not convinced, surely these engines should run for longer than 5o flights.

Any thoughts???
Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: ROGUE ROVER

Hi guy`s

I am also running an OS 140 RX P in my Zen and i have started experiencing engine failures in flight all of a sudden. The engine itself has had probably about 40 - 50 flights on it. The engine seems to test fine with ground testing but not sure what is going on. I have checked all bolts and fuel lines ( plug works ) with all seemingly ok. After reading this post i now am leaning towards a dodgy rearbearing, because also the engine does seem to be running a little hotter than normal. The bearing running at this hotter temperature i have been told can cause the fuel to boil in the pump and thus cause fuel flow dramas. ( methonol boils at around 80 - 85 Degrees C.

But im still not convinced, surely these engines should run for longer than 5o flights.

Any thoughts???
Replace the rear bearing with stainless steel. . . even when the engine is new out of the box. . . stainless steel bearings. . . . stainless. . . .. steel. . . . . bearings. . . . yes the regular bearings can go bad in 50 flights. . . stainless. . . steel. . .
Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 AM
ofremmi

If the OS-140 hesitates during negative G, and sometimes pops in the muffler, the idle is too lean.
A lean idle can be a sign of worn out bearings and/or piston ring.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
MHester

ORIGINAL: klhoard

Replace the rear bearing with stainless steel. . . even when the engine is new out of the box. . . stainless steel bearings. . . . stainless. . . .. steel. . . . . bearings. . . . yes the regular bearings can go bad in 50 flights. . . stainless. . . steel. . .
so what are you trying to say?

LOL

-M
Old 04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
dapan
My Feedback: (2)

hi
i dont want to post a new thread for this engine but i have a new os140 rx and i can found the right idle set up... any ideas?

Padelis