Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Angus Balfour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilots

Hi,

Does anyone know what pilot Akiba uses in his Proline + where can I buy one? Alternatively does anyone know where I can purchase a high quality, light pilot from?

http://www.gbrcaa.org/smf/index.php?...tach=956;image

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pilots

Try searching for "head sculpt" on ebay. You'll have to make the bust for the pilot, or use one from another pilot, but you'll have a very realistic head. Most are 1/6 scale which should be about right for a 2 meter plane. I plan to use one of these on my next plane.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...lpt&category0=
Old 06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
sarashina

Hi,

I 'm not certain which manufacturer the pilot is from the photograph. Though this is my guess the pilot seems to be a Naruke Hobby's product. See as follows.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/naru/page005.htm

But I don't know whether they accept an order from abroad.

Regards,

sarashina
Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Wasson

Angus,

Hope you're keeping well.

If its the Naruke Hobbies pilot you are after, I think it is stocked by Hobbynet - https://www2.hobbynet-jp.com/overseas/index.shtml (Price 4180 Yen, 26 Euro, £21)

Hobbynet would supply to Ireland or the UK.

My Oxalys crashed too - just to keep yours company. Would be interested to know what you think of the Proline once its up and running.

Keep me posted!

Regards

Bob

PS:
Derek Koopowitz strongly recommends that the Proline canopy should be tinted to make the fuselage easier to see in profile. This would save a few grams, not to mention £21!!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Angus Balfour

Thanks for the info, will try the above links.

Bob, sorry to hear about your Oxalys. I saw your report on GBR and it sounds like it was a really bad crash

I have tried dealing with Hobby Net before and they are completely useless. They hardly ever reply to your emails and when they do and ask you to send details they never send the stuff so I'm not even going to try.

I see Probuild sell X-Tech helmet heads which look quite nice. Will need to see if they will fit in the Proline canopy. It should be flying pretty soon so I'll let you know how it goes.

Angus

ps I had thought of tinting but supposedly it is really difficult to get paint to stick to the canopy. So to avoid any mishaps with the canopy I was thinking of just leaving it clear but putting in a big pilot.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Wasson

Angus,

I've had just the opposite experience of Hobbynet. Prompt reply to E-Mails and will even order items that they haven't got in stock. In fact last time I ordered a long delivery item that was difficult to get, they sent me regular E-Mails to keep me up to date with progress!

If you ever do decide to tint a canopy, the best paint to use is one of the acrylic based spray cans made by Tamiya and others and used widely by the model car people.

As long as you follow the instructions on the can and spray the inside of the canopy with light coats from a distance, it works a treat. It may take 7 or 8 coats to get the depth of tint that you are after, but it dries so quickly that it is still a quick job. No problems with it coming off either.

Regards

Bob
Old 06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Angus Balfour

Cheers Bob, I'll bring it up with Master Foley (Code name "Knees" ) who is assembling it for me.

I'm sorted for a pilot now. I've ordered an X-Tech yellow helmet head. Looks nice and is 100mm high so it will just fit in the Proline canopy

Angus
Old 06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Even though I tinted the canopy I still spent the dough on a pilot. What good is a plane without a pilot in it?

BTW Bob - ProLine went in yesterday - total radio failure (or battery failure which led to its demise). []
Old 06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

The paint I've used very successfully is the Pactra paint for lexan - the one I use is called Candy Apple Blue.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Wasson

Derek,

Really sorry to hear about your Proline. Having lost my Oxalys recently, I can appreciate how you must feel.

I hope you get up and running again soon and emerge from the experience even stronger than before.

With best wishes

Bob