RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2008 US Nationals... share your story

Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 2008 US Nationals

Friday's practice went well for Andrew. Mine... was rough from trying to recover from the long drive and odd sleep times. Verne Koester came out and did some Masters practice. Plan was for a 10am arrival Saturday morning to beat the afternoon rain storms. After practice we pulled out Andrew's discuss launch glider and had some fun launching and flying. That was until I launched it and half the stab broke off just as I let go, and the other half departed at the peak of the climb. In typical Andrew fashion he did this and that and figured a way to land it inverted with no more damage. It's "fixed" now and will be retested on Monday.

Saturday was just as good for Andrew but mine was still a bit rough as my sleep cycle shifted about 4 hours. Tim Jesky and Bob Kane were already out there ready to go. They even built 2 pattern boxes while we were practicing. I think Verne had his day and night mixed up as you can see the rain was there when we arrived...lol. It did clear up and we were all able to fly. The wind had picked up some, but it was great weather otherwise.

Today was a great practice for both of us. I am back on my sleep schedule and there was no rain... just WIND!!! Verne came out, but did the smart thing after watching my plane get picked-up and thrown into a post, and never unpacked his plane. Thankfully there wasn't much damage. It hit the wing tip and crushed in part of my aileron and put a hole in my fuselage, but no structural damage. Some P/F/Unknown practice and by 6:20 we were finished... except for the evening flying at the house for Andrew.

Tomorrow is glider day at the field and Andrew and Tim are in the basement now fixing up Tim's glider. It'll be a nice break before starting practice again on Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53752.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	990086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94229.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	990087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22761.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	990088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75984.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	990089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87181.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	990090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85330.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	990091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59785.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	990092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57450.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	990093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84587.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	990094   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97470.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	990095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31961.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	990096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70783.jpg
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	990097  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Story for the nats huh Jason? Was kinda going to save mine for the Kfactor. But it's too good not to share.. Please feel free to laugh at me..

First off, I've battled issue's for a while with a certain motor (no names). So I bought a c50 14xl.. Well, 6 flight into it yesterday(yeah I haven't practiced too much with all my issue's) the motor spun off the gear box on the run up (apparently the set screw was never set).. Glad this happened 5 days before I leave for the nats, lol. Plus I found out my chargers have been overcharing my four sets of 5350's. I'm on borrowed packs now and a borrowed motor.. lolol.. All this after my trimming issue's I had for a few months with my plane..

Have I let these things get to me? Absolutely not.. My nats pre trip and trip should be memorable.

Just got back about 30 minutes ago from down in socal to drop off our planes to our driver.. About 700 miles round trip (Heck, that makes me think I shoulda drove to the nats, lol). About $90 each way in fuel.. lol..

It's on now!!!!!!!! And I'm psyched!!!!!!!!

See ya'll there!!!!!!

Chris
Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

***cough***Plettenberg***cough***

See ya next week Chris!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 AM
JAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yea, yea Chad... we know...

Sorry to hear about all that Chris, but sounds like you've got some good friends over there to help you out. That's what it's all about in the end, everyone having a good time and helping when we can.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 AM
patternflyer1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chad,
I know, I know.. I told Jon Carter today on our travel that I will possibly give the 13XL setup that he runs a chance, but I'm ready to try the Pletty setup that you run. I will also try the Hacker A60 (as I have one on the way(late for the nats I may add) that Jerry Budd is running currently.. His plane is "faster" IMO.. I fly better like this IMO..

Jason,
Problems with toy airplanes are part of the game IMO. Just wish it wasn't so close to the nats. lol
I think I have them all taken care of now and I am ready for the 6+ greatest flights of my life so far.. (unfortunately they'll be while I'm sleeping the night before flying starts probably, lol)
Everyone has been really willing to help me. From people in my district with spare's, to people from other districts when I needed help with my Abbra setup and my battery issue's.. I think pattern flyers are a great bunch of flyers who are willing to help one another at a moments notice!!! And I can really appreciate that..

See ya'll there!!

Chris

Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
MHester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Problems close to the nats are not so bad...trouble DURING the nats sucks!

Not too awful much of a "story" here for a change. Been flying a bit with Chris and the Wingos, Gary and Jon a bit. Pretty much everyone is hitting thier stride, and if the nats is half as much fun as practicing has been, it's gonna be a good one!

Can't wait to see you all in about a week!!

-Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
can773

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just funnin' with you guys

Karma will probably bite me in the ***** and I will smoke a motor on the first round
Old 07-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That gas price is a $1 cheaper per gallon than we have out here... it would be nice to see gas under $4 a gallon out here in California.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Problems before the Nats? How about me losing 2 planes in one month? My ProLine went in over the Memorial Day weekend and 3 weeks later my eXodus went in... kinda hard to take when you see that much $$$$$ in plane and equipment go up in smoke (or in my case - into a vineyard). So if you drink a glass of Napa Valley chardonnay and it tastes a little like glow fuel or Lipo battery contents (whatever that tastes like) then you know who to blame.

I'm now working on my Element 170 (BTW, I'll post some great news about the production version shortly).

As a result I am NOT flying at the Nats this year... I'll be spectating, calling and judging...

See you all there on Saturday or Sunday morning.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 PM
jlkonn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Call for me down on Site 4 in the mornings?
[sm=wink_smile.gif]
JLK
Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spectating is free... calling and judging are for a fee.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
jlkonn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Derek,
Don't worry...
I won't charge you too much to call for me.
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
JLK
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
JAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to hear that you won't be showing the duration flight again this year Derek. At least you'll be there to make fun of the rest of us.

Today was our "day off" so we went out to the field to relax. Monday at the Weak Signals is Glider night and let me tell you... they are out there flying up a storm. It was cool to see all these gliders flying 6, 7 even 8 at a time. Andrew, Tim J and Bob Kane were out there flying in this evening contest. It was a nice break from all the pattern practice we've been doing. After it was all done, Tim J and Rick Lederman even let me fly their gliders, a GP Spirit and a fully composite Espada . Here are some shots from our night off. Tomorrow, back to work!

Name:	Wu59749.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	990820   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10902.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	990821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87189.jpg
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	990822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72334.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	990823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76912.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	990824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54126.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	990825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87603.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	990826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70323.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	990827  

Click image for larger version

Name:	If10575.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	990828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46498.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	990829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40979.jpg
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	990830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38559.jpg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	990831  
Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 AM
matchlessaero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice thread JAS. : )

My 08 Nats story is a bit odd...... and this is a long post, so skip to the next one if you don't like to read boring drivel.......

I've been flying RC for a good long time. When I was much younger, I flew pylon and dreamed of flying at the pylon Nats. My best friend (and fellow racer) went in about 1990 or so and won there. He never beat me in a race, but he won at the Nats. That set my mind to wondering - what could I have done if I had gone?

I took a short leave from RC while getting my degree and my first job and soon thereafter got back in. Pylon was again my game, but my wedding anniversary coincides with the current Pylon Nats date, so that was once again out of the question.

Time has passed, pylon died in my area, and I've taken pretty heavily to flying precision aerobatics instead. Conveniently, the pattern Nats is the week after my wedding anniversary, so no conflicts there!

I have a weird rule I have followed for all of my time in RC - I only fly my own designs in competition. In 20+ yrs of flying/competing, I only have a few times when I've broken my rule. The result of this is that I decided to design my own 2m pattern plane to compete with this year and at the Nats. Never being one to follow the herd, I set out designing my bird with a few unusual thoughts in mind. Al and AC Glenn helped with input and as advisors on details that I could not omit in the design. Design work finished shortly before the Toledo show and construction began in May.

A month ago, I felt the crunch pretty badly about not yet having my airplane ready for the Nats, so I dug deep and spent a lot of nights building until 2am. I can't begin building each day until 10pm (daughter and wife asleep) so late night has been the only time to get anything done. The airplane was finally airworthy last week and took its first flights last week.

I'm still dialing in the airplane aerodynamically as well as figuring out the powersystem (props, esc settings), but I'm pleased with it so far. I don't know how it will handle the Muncie wind, but hopefully it will do well. I will not have practiced nearly as much as I would have liked by the time I get to site 4, but that's life.

A bunch of people have helped me get this far and I owe them a lot of thanks - Al & AC Glenn, Chuck Hochhalter, Keith Hoard, Brian Guinn, Gator Smith and John Konneker. I'd be stupid if I did not say a huge thanks to my sponsors as well - Castle Creations and 2DogRC/Dualsky.

I spent last evening in the shop repairing AC Glenn's Pinnacle from a landing gear tearout and tidied up the wiring on my Kudzu as the glue set on his bird.

Name:	Xv64645.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	991093  
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
MHester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hear ya Jeremy! I like the road less traveled...

You'll do fine. I already saw what you can do with a vanquish, so this should be fun. One thing about Muncie weather, it's unpredictable...but you can count on wind, heat, etc. Oh yeah if you have a canopy don't leave it fully assembled overnight, because at some point it may become shrapnel.

Now if I could just find a few more days of practice before I leave....

-Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Nathan King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

matchlessaero,

That's an awesome story! Best of luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
JAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Boring my behind... great story Jeremy. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to hearing more. Back to charging...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:12 PM
guinnb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best of luck Jeremy! Those are some fine looking wings btw. Can't wait to see it fly in person!

Brian
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 08 story is like Derek's so far, two lost planes, one wing failure and just one old Smargdz retired. Just acquired a pre-owned Partner, put a new 170 DZ in and it snapped the connecting rod after one and a half tanks for 30% through it at a fast idle. Well, results,........... Rich M.at YS parts and service is awesome. He fixed it, broke it in and sent in back in a week, 2 days before the local contest. I put my first flights on it friday,...and muttered through to a third place finish flying the p program.

Needless, to say I too will be absent this year,...I so wanted to come back to change the bad luck I had last year at my first NATS,..oh well look forward to 2009.

Everyone that will be attending,...best of luck, have fun and go Team USA 2009!

Bill Holsten
Dist#2
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM
patternflyer1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

D7's planes got under way last night. Plus I think Rusty Fried met them on the way to load his.

Let the games begin... [sm=49_49.gif]

Chris

Name:	Vs55489.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	992337  
Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM
cd3217
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nat's prep-cool times in Tulsa.... I've been able to make a couple of trips to our Turf flyers club of late and share the practice experience with pattern friends. Last evening it was,
Bill Cunningham-FAI (Naruke Aries YS170 Ignition) ; Brian Young-Masters (Leviosa - AXI); Steve Ford-Advanced (Proline - YS160); Tim Tipton (Astral XX - YS170)
Tulsa's had some real good weather (finally) and a good pattern turnout. All of us are looking forward to Muncie, I can't wait to see and fly with old and new friends....

Sorry I couldn't get some pictures, too busy flying, calling and setting up...oh wait, my digi camera's out as well.....still no excuse. Quite a story developing in Nat's prep for this year. I'm going to try and keep a journal going this time. I've really enjoyed JAS , Don Sczur's, and George Kennie's writeups of the past. Something I'm learning on my second Nats prep is that every Nats pilot has a story to tell and getting ready for Nats is a story within itself.

"It's not the destination....its the journey"

Chris White - Masters
Old 07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
matchlessaero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, this week has been typical. AMA pattern competition is new to me, but competition is most certainly not. Like every contest I've participated in, I've spent this preceding week struggling to get out and practice, while also finishing up all the logistical details we all go through and finishing up details on airplanes and equipment.

I've definitely hamstrung myself a bit for this contest in that I'm flying a totally new design which I'm still dialing in.

My wife has also been under the weather much of this week, so I missed several practice opportunities so I could take care of her and my daughter. Today seems to be a good day however, everyone is popping on all 8 cylinders and I have a stack of charged batteries to go take advantage of after work.

Each evening after the girls have gone to bed, I've been able to clean up equipment and spruce up the proto a bit. I don't generally do anything asthetically special on a prototype because they often get cut up and re-done several times before I consider them finished, however, I can't stand the thought of going to the Nats with an ugly airplane, so some graphics and trim has to go on it. (pics below). Some other details like polishing the gear and painting the prop just makes the thing look soooo much better. Its no Naruke, but at least its clean, tidy and well maintained.

I love the pics of the trailers and campers set to travel... This year, I'm trying to do this trip on the cheap. So that means PB&J sandwiches for lunch each day, staying a friend's place in Indiana, tacking a business trip on to the adventure to help cover costs a bit and ditching my gas guzzling trailer and pickup for my wifes Toyota Camry... Yup, gonna try to stick a 2m pattern plane and support equipment in a Toyota Camry... That will be an adventure in and of itself....

Name:	Db84389.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	992391  
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM
MHester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ahhh yes, the "day before".....

Getting everything together, packing, and always thinking you're forgetting something important (and you probably are)

Well let's see. Have probably burned more fuel in the last 2 weeks than I have in the last 2 years. Maybe it'll show, maybe not. I won't be first and I won't be last, and that's ok with me...because I am going to have a LOT of fun as usual! I've spent a great deal of time flying with friends, and helping out my bros. Chris Odom "the monster" is looking pretty solid and is wide eyed and fired UP going into his first nats, Austin Wingo is flying well and might suprise a few people. Marcio "the machine" is really tuning in to his new Osmose, Gary Courtney has been on a mission all year and is looking strong, Jon Lowe is flying very well, and when I last saw Bryan Kennedy, he was flying better than he has for a couple of years now. Also it's cool to hear Humberto Pomales is finally going to the Nats! Go Humberto!!!!

Looks like at least from D3, intermediate and advanced are shaping up to be extremely competetive classes. (masters and FAI always are!) Having seen a few from other districts in person, I'd say site 4 is going to be one of the better shows in Muncie [8D] I love it!!!

Ahh yes, the Superbowl of pattern in the US.....

I'll see you guys Sunday afternoon!

-Mike
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My bags are Packed
I'm Ready to go

I'll be leaving on a minivan this afternoon as soon as I can get away from work. Should be getting into Muncie Sunday am. It sounds like Intermediate is going to be quite competitive! This'll be my first Nats in more than 30 years, so I'm a little nervous<G>. I'm planning to have a lot of fun. Hope to see ya'll there!

George
Old 07-19-2008, 07:50 AM
MHester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[8D] Don't worry George, you're in good hands on site 4.

Ok boys, shine em up! I picked up the Concours trophies yesterday and they are SWEET!! So put a shine on those planes and bring them to the pilot's meeting. Don't be bashful....

And we're on the road! See ya there!
-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service