RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Is It time to delete the weight limit in Pattern?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Is It time to delete the weight limit in Pattern?

1. Cheaper, yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Same or more, the higher pitch of smaller engines actually travels farther.
5. No

Smaller planes still fly at the same speed as bigger ones (if not faster) so they would still have to be flown at 125-150m away making them harder to see.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If we're throwing out rules changes then I'd prefer to see these:
1) 20cc glo displacement limit (equivalent for electrics)
2) 5 Kg wet/with batteries weight limit
3) no size limit
These would be FAI changes. There would be a 10 year grandfather period for AMA classes (or whatever we want).

Pros and cons??
Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Brenner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think that there are some inherent issues associated with weighing a glow powerd plane "wet". For one thing, all weighings have to be done in an enclosed space, otherwise any amount of wind is going to make it impossible to get a reasonably accurate weight. This makes it problematic when weighing "wet", because to do that you'd have to weigh each plane just before it flies, whenever it flies, and I can't imagine any contest, or the Nats, building an enclosed shelter on each flightline just for the purpose of weighing planes. Then there's the issue of calibrating each scale, because all scales weigh differently. At the Nats I believe that they had a reference weight, and then used it each day to figure out how much over or under the scale was reading each day.

Also, there is analagous problem with electric planes, because it's conceivable that you could fly with a larger 30C pack, but have your plane weighed with a smaller 18C pack, so currently there is an unaddressed problem with electric planes as well.

The only solution that I can think of is to impound all planes in the finals, after they finish their final round, and weigh them as they were flown. That way you'd have time to ask each glow pilot to fill their fuel tanks, and the electric pilots wouldn't be able to switch battery packs. You could also have random weighings as well so pilots would never know when they might be asked to have their plane weighed.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Brenner

I think that there are some inherent issues associated with weighing a glow powerd plane "wet". For one thing, all weighings have to be done in an enclosed space, otherwise any amount of wind is going to make it impossible to get a reasonably accurate weight. This makes it problematic when weighing "wet", because to do that you'd have to weigh each plane just before it flies, whenever it flies, and I can't imagine any contest, or the Nats, building an enclosed shelter on each flightline just for the purpose of weighing planes. Then there's the issue of calibrating each scale, because all scales weigh differently. At the Nats I believe that they had a reference weight, and then used it each day to figure out how much over or under the scale was reading each day.

Also, there is analagous problem with electric planes, because it's conceivable that you could fly with a larger 30C pack, but have your plane weighed with a smaller 18C pack, so currently there is an unaddressed problem with electric planes as well.

The only solution that I can think of is to impound all planes in the finals, after they finish their final round, and weigh them as they were flown. That way you'd have time to ask each glow pilot to fill their fuel tanks, and the electric pilots wouldn't be able to switch battery packs. You could also have random weighings as well so pilots would never know when they might be asked to have their plane weighed.

Why go through all that work when we don't have to? Just don't weigh any of them, ever.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Brenner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the most part that's what happens now. With the exception of the finals Masters & f3a pilots at the Nats, I doubt if anyone has had their plane weighed so far this year.

It could be argued that what we have now is the best of all possible worlds, because anyone who wants to compete in local contests is unlikely to have the weight of their plane challenged. Whereas, manufacturers still have to consider the 5 kg weight limit when they design planes, kits, motors, batteries, etc., so we are still part of the international company technology wise, and our pilots can still transition back and from from AMA Masters, and FAI f3a easily.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
matchlessaero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the most part that's what happens now. With the exception of the finals Masters & f3a pilots at the Nats, I doubt if anyone has had their plane weighed so far this year.
Every Intermediate and Advanced airplane was weighed this year at the Nats regardless of finishing order....
Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Brenner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry, I didn't know that. I was flying Masters, and since we didn't get weighed, I assumed the same true for Advanced and Intermediate.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If more Pattern guys were involved with auto racing we wouldn't have these problems. You can't even put a car on the track for practice until it passes tech. inspection.

In a perfect world, when you check in at the NATs your plane should be measured and weighed (regardless of what class you're flying). If it passes, you're good to go. If not, you need to fix it before you're allowed to fly. I realize we have limited resources (help) so this may not be practical. I know it's A LOT of work to run the NATs. Just a thought.

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 AM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jrpav1

If more Pattern guys were involved with auto racing we wouldn't have these problems. You can't even put a car on the track for practice until it passes tech. inspection.

In a perfect world, when you check in at the NATs your plane should be measured and weighed (regardless of what class you're flying). If it passes, you're good to go. If not, you need to fix it before you're allowed to fly. I realize we have limited resources (help) so this may not be practical. I know it's A LOT of work to run the NATs. Just a thought.

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic
I haven't been to the Nats in a few years, but that's exactly what was done at the Nats I have attended.