Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Best glow driver?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 AM
Jon Wold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best glow driver?

Here's mine: It's a non-knocking plug heater made in Norway, check it out:
http://jonwold.blogspot.com/2008/08/...-glow-pro.html

Disclaimer: As you can tell from my blog post I know the guy who makes it but I have no economic incentive for posting this. I think it's a fantastic glow driver that will save plugs, engines and keep starting the 4-stroke beasts safe for everyone.

I post it here so that we can discuss glow drivers (I know there are more out there including Rcats from Central hobbies) and get feedback. What do you think of this glow driver?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44596.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1015404  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Red B.

Default RE: Best glow driver?

It seems to be a nice piece of equipment! One question though:
Is it a true glow driver in the sense that it regulates the glow-plug current to compensate for varying electrical resistance of the glow plug, i.e., does the glow driver automatically increase the current when the glow plug is cooled by fuel droplets, or is it a constant current source?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Jon Wold

Yes (or should I say Ja).
Here's a snippet from the manual:

"The plug power is continuously regulated to the preset power with regards to the battery voltage. Glow-Pro also measures the plug temperature and automatically adjusts the plug power to keep the temperature to the preset level. This makes the Glow-Pro uncritical to both sinking battery voltage and “drowned†glow plugs."
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Looks expensive. Why would you need one of these compared to a plain old glow starter? I'm curious. Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in rthe market for a glow driver now, what is the price and availability?

Thanks
Anthony
Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me crazy, but I just use an inexpensive starter from the hobby shop. [sm=confused.gif]
Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
tggilkey

Until the advent of the YS DZ's there didn't seem to be much of a need for a delay glow driver, but I can tell you from personal experience that the delay feature is worth every penny. Prior to using one I had everything from happen from props loosening, to spinner cones wrinkled, to threads messed up on the crank/jam nuts, to the spinner back plate and thrust washer grinding themselves into little pieces of aluminum. The knock on initial ignition, even if it results in a successful start, can't be good for the crank pin, either end of the connecting rod, or the piston (to say nothing about the stress that initial whack can put on the front end of the plane even with a soft mount). I have heard about, but never seen, engine cowls being damaged by that kick. With a delay, most starts are extremely smooth; sometimes so smooth with the idle throttle matching what the starter is turning, only the change in sound will signify the engine is really running on its own. The one I have (similar to the one in discussion here) has adjustable delay timing as well as plug current. It was worth the cost. With a second person to punch a button, an option could be to have the other person fire up the glow plug once the engine is turning. Many times I'm flying by myself so the delay driver is great. Based on my experience and comments of others who use something like it, I would recommend using one.

My 2 cents worth.
Tom
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

The RCATS driver is really nice. It is still around 100USD but the delay drivers with the DZ's make life a lot easier. Not 100% necessary, as there are other ways, but I think it is much easier using the time delay drivers for the DZ's.

Arch
Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
wild 330

RCATS also has the option of a delay glowdriver, 5 seconds delay.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Jon Wold

As Red B. from Sweden was asking, this (and some other glow drivers that are in the upper price range) provide a variable current to the plug so that the plug heat remains the same regardless of amount temperature, raw plug full of fuel etc. If you use a normal glow clip w/battery it's gonna start glowing immideately when its connected. That's not good for the plug, and you get the problem of backfiring. With these new generation of non-knocking heaters you can start spinning the engine before it starts giving current to the plug, eliminating the backfiring problem.

The driver I use is 1295,- NOK which is equivalent to 240 USD. It sounds expensive but the currency rate is very much in favour of NOK right now. A few years ago it would have been a $100 less but yes it is not cheap.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Rune

I have one off the from Norway....works great .
I cost a bit more than the one from (i really dont know from where) JApan??
but i had to change the battery in the other one ......
Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
fancman

ORIGINAL: Jon Wold

As Red B. from Sweden was asking, this (and some other glow drivers that are in the upper price range) provide a variable current to the plug so that the plug heat remains the same regardless of amount temperature, raw plug full of fuel etc. If you use a normal glow clip w/battery it's gonna start glowing immideately when its connected. That's not good for the plug, and you get the problem of backfiring. With these new generation of non-knocking heaters you can start spinning the engine before it starts giving current to the plug, eliminating the backfiring problem.

The driver I use is 1295,- NOK which is equivalent to 240 USD. It sounds expensive but the currency rate is very much in favour of NOK right now. A few years ago it would have been a $100 less but yes it is not cheap.
$240.00!!!!!! I've been flying glow engines for 30 yrs and I've never heard of or needed a delay glow driver. Glad I didn't at that price.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Jon Wold

It's sorta like sliced bread - once you get used to it there's no going back. [&:]
Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Rune

$240.00!!!!!! I've been flying glow engines for 30 yrs and I've never heard of or needed a delay glow driver. Glad I didn't at that price.
then you most likely havent used a YS DZ many flights .....dont try to be mean .
Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Have to agree with Rune on this one. I don't think you need to spend 240 for a driver either. There are others that work. However, if you arent using a delay driver and you get the dreaded DZ kick and it breaks the front of your 2500 pattern airframe. The 100 or so, or even the 240 seems cheap then. I personally use the NHP driver from Japan, and love it. There are other techniques that will work, however, the delay drivers definitely low this risk.

Arch
Old 08-20-2008, 01:52 PM
alex24

You may also consider
Sullivan Onboard Glow Driver!!

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=M060[/link]

[link]http://www.sullivanproducts.com/[/link]

Alex
Old 08-20-2008, 02:24 PM
fancman

ORIGINAL: Rune

then you most likely havent used a YS DZ many flights .....dont try to be mean .
I get it. I knew the YS DZ engines were expensive but didn't know about the starting issues. You're right. I haven't used a YS and it's to late for this old dog to learn that trick.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Rune

I get it. I knew the YS DZ engines were expensive but didn't know about the starting issues. You're right. I haven't used a YS and it's to late for this old dog to learn that trick.
try them and you love them..the YS......
in this hobby noone is to old!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 PM
fancman

Naaaaaaaaa I think I'm going to stay in the cheap seats with my OS 160. Tons of power, easy starts and $15.00 glow driver.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Gulliver

Its not going to win over any clip starter fans, but the Radio South Pro Driver does everything the R-cats driver does for about $80. (Uses NiMh instead of Lipo.)

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/thumbnail.asp?cid=17
Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

The Radio South drivers do not have a soft start, yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Rune

As i see it ...the delayed start off the glow and possiblity to adjust both that and the "glowing" is the big thing here.
It also let you use any type off battery you want ....you can change if you want dont remeber the volt it need.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

The Radio South drivers do not have a soft start, yet.
The Radio South orange glow driver I have has a 7 second delay start.
It works great on the YS 170DZ.

Dave
Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the Radio South driver and I wanted to continue using it, because it has many advantages. So I put a simple lamp switch in the middle of the wire, I hold the switch in my left hand together with the landing gear and flip it On or Off when I want to.

Regards,

Isaac Najary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77433.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1016537  
Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: najary

I have the Radio South driver and I wanted to continue using it, because it has many advantages. So I put a simple lamp switch in the middle of the wire, I hold the switch in my left hand together with the landing gear and flip it On or Off when I want to.

Regards,

Isaac Najary
Right...I think I have seen your driver before now.
My driver has the delay built in and is activated by the button on the driver....not in the wire.
So....I push the button, start cranking and 7 seconds later the glow comes on automatically and lasts for one minuite.
If the engine quits before the driver turns off, I just push the button again and the 7 second delay starts over.

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.