Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Thinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

I just got a nice box in the mail yesterday from Esprit Models (http://www.espritmodel.com/). The all new Kyosho Osmose 70! (Don’t get confused of the “70”, it is a 50-size ship…).
An Ys63 arrived just days before from HobbyBarn (http://www.hobbybarn.com).
Strange and innovative Norwegian tax systems made the engine rather expensive, but the plane sailed through swiftly

So, to the goodies...
The kit looks VERY promising, with very little wrinkles on the covering. I was a bit concerned after reading about the Oxalys 50. I will be going over the model with an iron and maybe seal all covering edges with varnish of some sort just to be on the safe side.
The fuse is very straight and rigid, and the wings looks to be spot on. I did find a little "miss-hap" in the tail section. They had not sanded the already mounted fin enough, so there is a little dissymetry in the root of the fin. I don't think it is going to be a show-stopper, and I'm not going to be bothered with fixing it.

The colors on the cowling almost match the covering, and all lines fit perfectly! (This is the first model I've seen this good work on the transition between fuse and the cowl).
The hardware department is of good quality, although all plastic (horns, fuel caps etc..). This reduces weight, so I think I’ll stick to it. Normally I toss away all hardware in this kind of kits, but I’ll give it a chance.
The UC is light and well shaped! The wheel pants are painted blue(..), a nice, different touch!
For the power source, I’m using the Ys63S. I think I’ll go for a Hyde mount and Hattori manifold/short pipe to get a pleasant sound picture. The spinner I bought from Espirit is a normal, pointy thing which I think looks a bit silly… (Although of great quality!). Better go for a FAI-type to get smoother lines from the cowl.

I checked the weight of all parts yesterday, and it is not all that bad:
Fuselage (including cover under wing) – 509g
Right wing – 218g
Left wing – 217g
Stab, rudder & T-Canalizer – 136g
Canopy – 36g
Cowling – 48g
Wheel pants – 41g
Hardware – 359g
Engine (complete w/stock muffler) – 503g
Spinner – 23g
Total : 2090g

I’m not sure what servos I want to use, but I am using a Schulze receiver and a 4C AA Battery pack to save some weight. I might be looking for small, light digital servos to get precise control.

The heading states a slow build, so I hope you’re patient! I’ve got a thousand other projects going on at the same time (maintain the farm, please the wife, change nappies on my 1year old son, occasional F3A practice etc..).
I’ll try to update every time I get to spend some “home alone time”.
Please feel free to post other Osmose 70 builds as well!

Audun Thinn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81415.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1016557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21328.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1016558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58682.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1016559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17978.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1016560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37098.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1016561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dt18645.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1016562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb59102.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1016563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca92004.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1016564  

Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Jon Wold

Default RE: Kyosho Osmose 70, Sort of build thread (slow..)

Audunium! Congratulations with your new toy. Now I will tell your wife. Unless you give your new toy to me. Have a nice weekend.

Oh by the way I'll keep my mouth shut if you will: I just ordered [link=http://shop.strato.de/epages/61316787.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61316787/Products/%22MINI-SCALAR%20(Balsa)%22]this[/link], and [link=http://www.kontronic.com/Jive.htm]this[/link] and [link=http://www.kontronic.com/KoraBig2006.htm]this[/link].
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Kema

Have anyone compared this to Oxalys. I can only see some changes to cowling, different color scheme and carbon landing gear?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Thinn

I will compare it to the Oxalys once I've finished it. A couple of my flying colleagues has the Oxalys. I'll ask for a test flight as well, but since I fly Mode 1 in competition (and mode 2 when acting as instructor), I'm not all that good in advanced aerobatics when it comes to Mode 2... But I might get the general idea of the plane.
A minor correction Kema; UC is aluminum, not CF.

Another strange happening... Another frind of mine tried to order the same package from Esprit, and suddenly they could not ship to Norway..?? When he sent them my confirmation, they simply replied "sorry, sold out"... Strange..
Old 08-22-2008, 01:45 PM
pattern pilot

Hello Audun Thinn
here is a link of kyosho japanese construction of osmose 50 : http://www.rajioyaji.com/2008/06/25/
you must look for the date and there is the size of TC canalizer for correct installation
Mine is almost finished, I just had some trouble with the ailerons they looked like a "V", my local shop in france changed me the ailerons and they are perfects now
I'll post some pics soon
regards
Jérôme
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Thinn

Athos7; Looking forward to seeing those pics!
I did not fint too many pictures from the build from the web-page you linked to...

On Friday, I ordered som bits and pieces from Central Hobbies:
(Hope everything arrives soon!)
- Hyde mount for the Ys63
- Hattori manifold & short pipe
- TruTurn FAI spinner
- Futaba 9650 servos for the ailerons
- Futaba 3305 for elevator & rudder control
- Futaba 3107 for throttle

Audun
Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
pattern pilot

Hello Audun
try this link : http://www.rajioyaji.com/2008/07/03/
there is a smartness about the TC canalizer installation for correct position for the colors between them
I will use 2 mini servos (S9650 or 9602) for the horizontal tail for the C.G. (overall with hyde mount and hatori muffler that are heavier than standard equipment)
regards
Jérôme
Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Thinn

Thanks Athos7!
I just thought of laying the thing down on the side, mark it up and cut a slightly longer hole so I could have some "trimming" distance.

I spent a couple of hours in my hobby room tonight, and got the following things done:
- Joined the wing
- Made holes for the servo cable (I cut rough holes first, then use a soldering iron to seal the edges)
- Installed CA hinges on the ailerons and rudder
- Mounted the wooden "dots" to secure the wing to the fuse

I'm now waiting for the wing to cure so I can continue...

I know the Hyde mount/Hattori setup is slightly heavier, but I'm always trying to keep my models as quiet as possible.

The instruction manual shows a rather "sorry" looking fuel tank securing system, so I'll build something new there I guess. The best solution is to keep the tank from touching the fuse, but I'll see what I come up with. It should be light, functional and easy... -Using the KISS principle.

Name:	Sq46854.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1019437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50529.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1019438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36201.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1019439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45646.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1019440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36723.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1019441  
Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Thinn

More building update...

Fuel tank:
I spent 10min figuring how to mount the fuel tank without adding weight.. As you can see in the pictures, I used 1,5mm balsa and made a "Nose-ring" system (as used in my other F3A-planes). Now all I have to do is to add another locking beam behind the tank and one on top. It is really close to the wing, but I think it's going to be OK.

Wing cover:
The wing cover was a little short. Not sure if this is intended or not? (May make it easier to mount the wing??). I don't like cutting the film all across the wing sheeting, but using a sharp scalpel and a bit of patience made the cut OK. Always afraid of weakening the sheeting by cutting too deep!

Wings/tail:
When drilling the holes for the wing bolts, I was a bit nervous about aligning the wing (once the holes are drilled, that's pretty much it..). Nothing to worry about! It was dead on!
Then I test-fitted the stab to check the incidence. WOW... With the main wing set at 0deg, the stab had a promesing -0,5deg. Perfect!
So to the not-so perfect.... The stab tilted quite much, so I had to cut out the opening on one side to make it aligned properly. Task for next time: Align and epoxy the stab into place..
The stab covering was slightly off-center in the center section. That's OK, just a bit annoing.

Still waiting for that box from Central.... )

Name:	Jh16857.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1020086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93443.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1020087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30256.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1020088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39701.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1020089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86073.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1020090  
Old 08-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Thinn

Having some trouble with the pics...
Here are some more:

Name:	Hf10335.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1020093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16633.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1020094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63209.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1020095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76381.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1020096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs94446.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1020097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh67334.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1020098  
Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Rune

slow...your working fast Audun!!
test flight this weekend
Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
jaycey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just an idea on securing your fuel tank.
how about a small peice of velcro on top of the tank and on the rear support you made, to stop backwards movement and then 2 holes either side of the support with a zip tie going through the holes and around the tank.

lite and simple.

this how i have the tank secured on my integral and it has been trouble free.
Jason
Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 AM
Thinn

Rune; Well... There will be no test flight this weekend... For sure!

Jaycey; I thought of double sided tape.. I have welcro-bands (or hvatever you like to call them..) on my Oxalys, and I might be using the same method here. But thanks for the tip! Always good to get more ideas..
Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Romulo

Hello,

I am also start mounting an Osmose 70 from Kyosho and id like some advise for define the servos and the engine for it. i don't know if i should use digital or analog servos, and the engine i am thinking in new OS70FS !! Can you help me ?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Thinn

Romulo: For this aircraft, digital servos are not a must, but they give you a more presice handeling. A good quality analog servo should be more than capable!
I would use 3-4kg on the ailerons, 4-5kg on elevator and 5-7kg on rudder. The throttle servo should be a quality servo able to withstand the engine vibrations! I'm trying the Futaba micro-servo, but I am a bit curious if it is up to the task... Maybe I'll add a bit of anti-vibration in the servo-assy.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the plane is designed around the Os70 (hence the name Osmose70), so your engine would fit in perfectly.

I got a box from Central Hobbies yesturday, so it was almost Chistmas for me! Did not have time to do too much though, but found out I forgot to order an adaptor for the TruTurn spinner (The Norwegain taxes set me back approx. $150 on the shipment (tot. of $500 from Central), so I will find a cunning way of getting back at them somehow...)

The Hyde mount gave me a 210mm distance between firewall to the spinner backplate. The instructions on the plane states 180, so I need to tweak the cowling a bit. Everything went together perfectly (Thank you Hyde..), so now the engine is in place! It is really tight to get the self locking nuts into the back of the firewall, but after a bit of svearing and sweating it came through.
It looks quite cute actually with that tiny Hattori header and pipe!

The stab is also in place, so I'm on a roll.... Will not be able to do too much the next couple of days, but once I get out in the workshop I plan to get quite a few things done. The box from Central was full of "things I did not know I could not live without", so everything should be there to complete this bird.

Name:	Jh16676.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1024345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88708.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1024346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80517.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1024347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21747.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1024348  
Old 09-02-2008, 04:52 AM
jaycey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a look here for alternative engine solution http://www.gbrcaa.org/smf/index.php?topic=1231.0

The OS 70ultimate would be a great alternative.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Nigel201

Hi, thats my Osmose 70. I have used an OS55AX which fitted well in the cowl after a little trimming!! This kit is much better then the Oxy. The covering looks like it should stay on ok. The only things I have changed are the aileron links. I dont like the bends and plasitc keepers they supply. I have had three flights with the model so far and its superb! It locks into the manovers very well, rolls superb and spins fantastic. If the UK rain and wind ever stops I will go and fly it again....but that looks some time away at the moment.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:41 PM
pattern pilot

Hello Nigel,
I own an osmose too and he's almost finished, did you notice in flight characteristics a lower speed than the oxalys when the nose of the model is down ?
regards
Jérôme
Old 09-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Thinn

ORIGINAL: Nigel202
Hi, thats my Osmose 70. I have used an OS55AX which fitted well in the cowl after a little trimming!! This kit is much better then the Oxy. The covering looks like it should stay on ok. The only things I have changed are the aileron links. I dont like the bends and plasitc keepers they supply. I have had three flights with the model so far and its superb! It locks into the manovers very well, rolls superb and spins fantastic. If the UK rain and wind ever stops I will go and fly it again....but that looks some time away at the moment.
That's great news!
My guess is that the model will "brake" better on downlines with the Ys63 than the 55AX. I had a 55AX in my previous 50-size (TM Shadow), and it is a fantastic little engine! (I used Karl Mueller header and an Asano pipe combined with a rubber engine mount and nose ring... That thing was silent!).

I will change oyt the rudder horn with MK Alu.horns. Also, I'll fit the MK horns (plastic w/threaded 2mm rod) on elevator and ailerons. I bought carbon pushrods (mini pushrods) for the ailerons, and will have a think about the elevator pushrod..
I now fitted the aileron servos with no modification! I put in a couple of alu. fuel dots on the fuse side. I will mount a similar ignition system as in my other models (ie plug in the fuse side).
The pipe also got fitted last night.
I had a think about the micro-servo I'm using for throttle. I might just use a couple of layers of "servo tape" (soft, double sided tape) on this. I will then get rid of a lot of vibrations! Just have to make sure the tape sticks!

Regarding the covering on this bird... Most of the trimming ends has a small "punced hole" to ensure that it stays on! It looks as though someone has gone over all trim ends and put some extra effort into this... Good job! Stil, I might seal the ends off with "fuel-proofing", a strange smelling mixture bought in the local hobby store.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Nigel201

Hi I am not sure which model is the fastest in the air, however the Osmose slows down very quickly when you throttle it back for a snap or spin. As soon as work and the terrible UK summer permits I will be out at the field flying this model again. Iam sure its going to be a cracking model. One point on the covering. I have placed stickers of small bits of clear film over all the sharp points in the trim just to make sure they dont lift when cleaning the model. The build quality is good so the model should last. I am also using it to test some Futaba 2.4 GHz radio. I would rather crash this small model then a full 2 meter pattern plane or helicopter. So far the radio looks very good. I think it would be a good idea to soft mount a 4 stroke engine to save the airframe from the extra vibration these engines produce.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Brickhead

Greetings everyone. Newbie here.
I just ordered an Osmose 70 and need your opinion on installing a Saito .82 4-stroke with a 14 x 8 APC prop?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Thinn

Here are some pictures from yesturdays' progress.
What has been done:
- Elevators in place
- Tank (and fuel system) installed using welcro. I fitted self adhesive welcro in a matter I've seen on a Japanese site some years ago.. The adhesive locks the aft movement while the welcro keeps the tank in place.
- Throttle servo installation complete. I just stuck the servo onto the fuse side using strong double sided tape and CA.. Looks dodgy, but feels rock solid..
- Muffler mount in place

I might get a couple of more hours out there tonight. Let's hope the little toddler is fast a sleep... (Yeah right..).

Name:	Nl30946.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1029711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67481.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1029712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69188.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1029713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35610.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1029714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24314.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1029715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60479.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1029716  
Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Thinn

Got an hour working on the Osmose yesturday evening and finished the folowing:
- Tail wheel assembly
- Rudder pull-pull system

Just a little comment on the tail wheel assy... NEAT!!! Easy to assemble and looks like it will work great!
The only "negative" comment I would like to add is that the pre-drilled hole in the fuse (for the tailwheel foundation) needs to be enlargened to Ø6mm (if I remember correctly..), and the instruction manual shows a Ø3mm hole in the rudder. This should be Ø5mm (again, if I remember correctly...). Not really a show-stopper!

I don't like threading the pull-pull wire directly onto the servo horns, so I bought DuBro Ball-links. Also, the plastic linkage in the hardware pack looked a bit too soft, so I changed them..

I had a couple of MK horns laying around, so I added these for the rudder. The rudder has a hardwood dowel built in, so just drill a hole and fin in place! The pre-drilled holes in the fuse were perfectly aligned.

The control horns for the elevators were started, but I'll have to finish this job next week or so. Tonight I'm packing for the last contest in the Norwegian cup at Tynset... Competition days Friday through Sunday.

Name:	Hf99870.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1030151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59468.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1030152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb77060.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1030153  
Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Brickhead

I am sorry. I meant what do you think of a Saito.82 with the 13x8 APC propeller? I see someone put a Saito .82 in an Oxaly.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM
gpang788

ORIGINAL: Nigel201

Hi Nigel, have some questions for you..

1) Did you have any problems with the OS55AX running inverted?
2) Did u use a pump or regulator to ensure smooth running?
3) What glow plugs did u use??
4) Standard OS Muffler being used?

I have always wanted a pattern plane to go with my 55AX too but held back cos I was afraid of potential inverted running problems.

Care to share how you avoided these problems?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.