Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

SAITO FG-20 GASSER FOR 90/120 PATTERN

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SAITO FG-20 GASSER FOR 90/120 PATTERN

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM
selnekav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SAITO FG-20 GASSER FOR 90/120 PATTERN

apologies i didn't saw that you was the one who started the thread. obviously that even the saito was the best 20cc gas engine it wasn't suitable for 2m airplane...

i guess that there is many 90 size pattern flyers that looking for some light 140 gasser... and belive me gas alternative for YS-110 on 30% nitro will save more then few bucks ( 30% on our shops cost 50$ per gallon ) my guess is that the 90 size pattern market isn't smaller then the sport 2m but this is only a guess.

regards

Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 PM
cmoulder

I have the Focus II with the Syssa SAP 180 gasser, and it is indeed a viable gas option for pattern. MattK and Ed Alt did the preliminary testing with pattern props, supplying the first actual RPM and thrust numbers. They looked good, so since I had been looking for just such an engine, I ordered one right away.

I did not make a mistake. My engine is far from being broken in and well-tuned, but already it has plenty of useful power with an APC 18x10PN... just a matter of tuning and prop selection. But even so, after very little tuning and break-in, it has plenty of power for a 10.5 lb pattern model.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 AM
imm0rtai

ORIGINAL: selnekav

Hi
Can you send link to the xyz 26s ?

Thanks
I got it from a site called www.chinarcnet.com I dont know why its down now. I can give you the guys email, i payed $260with paypal shippedexpress mail from china.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: F.Imbriaco

With all due respects to your reminder to me of the basis of this thread , I started the thread , so I do know the purpose of it. At that time, the Saito FG-20 was just out and I thought it might be capable of powering a smaller pattern - practice ship- just to save a few bucks on fuel. My current recommendation about the Syssa 180 was meant to help along those lines ( economical pattern)for the more popular 2M aircraft.

There are used 2M aircraft on the market and ARCs/ ARFs like the Focus 2 that are economical, viable pattern mounts and the Syssa will power them effortlessly. Read some of the recent posts, if you desire.

Whether its a 90, 120 or 2M aircraft, that's up to you. Smaller size doesn't always equate to less money. It sounds as though you already have the aircraft or one in mind. Power it anyway you like and good luck along the way.
Hi Frank,

You know, it occured to me that you were the one to send Ed and I the original email regarding the SAP 180. After an early detour to take a look at the Mintor 37 cc, an engine that sounde good for pattern until I took a close look at the goofy carb set-up, I have not looked back. It has been the cause of a tremendous amount of activity around my shop these past 3 months.

Thanks for letting me know about the Syssa engine. The engine outperforms all other 2 stroke pattern engines we run except maybe the Webra 160. The 4 stroke YS 170 is a little stronger but thats about it, running 30% nitro

Matt
Old 05-28-2011, 02:58 AM
ya33a

Hi Guys,

My $0.02 worth... I own an FG20 which I've had for over 12 months now, I use it in an 80" taylorcraft, it pulls about 4.5kg static thrust on a 16"x8" wooden prop with from memory 7100 rpm, plane weighs 6.8kg so no 3d stuff...

I had a heap of trouble getting the engine to run reliably - partly me and partly the engine's original plug - faulty. I'm happy with the engine now and I use it to cruise around just off idle and do very slow fly bys.

I also converted a 26cc dual ball bearing weed eater engine to power a CMP Katana 140, which has a heap of grunt I have measured the engine running a 15"x8" fibre prop putting out over 6kg of static thrust, it has the pull start and I turned up a steel prop shaft so it's no light weight, the total mass of engine ready to run with magneto ignition is over 1.8kg (4lb). So again probably no 3d either - I haven't flown this model yet, having too much fun with my new Saito 100 flat twin in a decathlon and the 5 cylinder 325, in my new SU26 which is causing a few sleepless nights getting right, I just bought a new taco so I will post some rpm readings next time I'm at the field and write them down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82191.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1615732  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 AM
ya33a

Well after reading through this thread santa was kind and brought me a CMP Leo for my saito FG20, I know the finished plane wont weigh anything like the taylorcraft so as a pattern trainer it should be a good combination I hope. i mikght start an assembly thread once I finish a few other projects first. Plus the Taylorcraft is just so nice....
Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IME the solution for the .90/1.10 size pattern plane is the DLE 20.

I have flown the last 7 months a TWM Spot On with the DLE 20 fitted. I've not yet flown out 3 gallons of gasoline because its so efficient on gas.
It spins the 16x8 XOAR in the mid 8000's and to date i've only have two deadstciks; one due to running out of gasoline and the other when the throttle ball link came off because I forgot to tighten it

reliable
powerful
cost effective

Get the noise down by fitting a Just Engines Header (email Andrew he has a template for a header for can or pipe that fits in a tunnel behind the engine) and Weston UK Aerobatic Mini pipe or Hatori 821.

The Saito FG20 is nowhere near suitable for pattern. It's a lovey alternative to a 1.10 4stroke in a warbird or scale aircraft