Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Would Venus 40 be a good starter pattern plane?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Would Venus 40 be a good starter pattern plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
RogerParrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would Venus 40 be a good starter pattern plane?

Hello All,

I'm looking at competing in 2009 (Sportsman, obviously) and need to select a nice intro pattern plane. Both Venus' look nice, but after pricing an engine and high-torque servos for the Venus II, I'd rather not start with a plane that $$. I know that I could cut corners (servos/engine) $$-wise on the Venus II, but I'd rather buy quality even if it meant a smaller plane.

The Venus 40 looks nice, and Tower has a decent combo going on. Good reviews as well. Sig Tracer is also a possibility - I don't mind building. Done it before...

I already know the disadvantages of a smaller plane - but I'm not looking to be the next [fill in the recent champion] in 2009. However I would like to be somewhat competitive in Sportsman and go into the season with a shot at placing in at least one of the meets. Then I might go for the Venus II....

FYI... I already fly and *think* I'm pretty decent...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance... Roger
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
beppeVRCS

Default RE: Would Venus 40 be a good starter pattern plane?

Roger,
if you're really serious about competition, I think that the Venus II (or anything of that size) is much better than a 40 size plane. Don Szczur does splendid things with my old Sig Four Star 40, but I think that Pattern is something where size mateers, much more than sex. A good, reliable .91 2 stroke, not O.S., will not cost you an arm and a leg, as well as some aftermarket digital servos. I definitely would go for a .90 size aircraft!
Beppe
Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have both planes and there is no comparison - don't waste your $$$ with the Venus 40. I've got JR DS821 servos which you can get for $20-25 on marketplace or ebay, and you can use standard servo on throttle.

After flying the big Venus I don't even bother with the small one.

Venus II I"m told will be competitive through the first two classes. Can't say first hand 'cause I'M not competitive yet, but working on it Plane can do more than I can, that's for sure.

If you haven't flown a plane like this yet, it is SOOOOOOO nice!!!! I know it's not a 2M plane, but it's one heck of a step up from a sport plane.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Hitec's new HS-5485HB digital servos are .17 sec speed and 89 oz/in at 6v and they're $24.99 retail.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend getting the Venus II...pick up and OS 1.20AX for it, and some sport digitals and go fly. Then you can always upgrade servos later, but you will be more than competitive with that setup. Pretty quickly flying the .40 size you will want something else as you will be competing against larger airframes and there will be a disadvantage. The Venus II will take care of that and give you a plane you could also fly Intermediate with.

Arch
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RogerParrett.

These guys are correct about the Venus II. Bigger planes are more stable and smoother in the air. I'm currently building the Venus II and it's a very nice plane. I'm running the OS 120AX with a Mac muffler. The last Pattern plane I had was the Focus Sport with a Saito 125. I'm hoping the Venus II will be just as good.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 PM
RogerParrett

Ok, Ok!! I think I see a pattern (pun intended) here.... lol

I'm going to go with the Venus II. You guys confirmed what I thought. Halfway through the season I'd probably end up wishing I had a II over a '40.

Might as well do it right the first time.

Thanks all!

Best... Roger