Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YS-170 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS-170 Problem

I have a brand new YS-170 installed in an Astral XX. When I hit the starter to it today, it popped once and that was it. For some reason the engine has lost all compression. I changed the plug to see if that might be the problem, but the engine still has no compression. I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this problem. I've had 20 or so YS's and this is the first time for me, so before I send it off to Richard, does anyone have any ideas at what I might look at?
Thanks
Greg Grigsby
Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS-170 Problem

Hey Greg,
sounds like you have a stuck valve
pull the valve cover and inspect to see if your valves are closing all the way
BTW
what fuel are you running?
Bryan
Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Gregg G

Hey Bryan,
Thought about that and will do that when I pull the motor. I'm running Cool Power 30%
Greg
Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to my 170 at the Dist 2 championships,...I went into panic mode (first YS since the 90's) and sought out an experienced YS guy,...stuck valve. I did the same thing Bryan suggested before we fired it up again. We fired it up,..ran it,..shut it off and all was well again. Mine had about 10-20 flights on it before that happened. The prior weekend the engine backfired when I was running the fuel out of it,..more than likely that caused my problem,..now using the foam clunk and a different tank that the clunk would fit in.

I will say,...when my 170 was new,...I had nothing that would turn the motor over,..had to rigg up an attachment for the 24 volt cordless drill (dynatron would turn it over well enought on a car battery) and flip the plane over. I had one full tank of fuel through it,..running very rich at a high idle and no more than 1/4 throttle. The second tank,...I started working with the transition a little and snapped the piston rod at 1/2 throttle. Rich fixed it and broke the engine in before he sent it back,....magic,..the Hangar 9 starter for the 180 sized engines turns the bah-gezzies out of it now. I was informed on my next one, 2 tanks at idle and no horse'in with the throttle at all.

Just thought I'd share my experience with my 170 with you.

Best Regards,
Bill Holsten
Team Fliton
Old 12-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Gregg G

Thanks Bill,
This engine is BRAND NEW. Never been run. I've been debating on sending it to Richard because of that but I'm going to check the valves beforehand. It's just unfortunate that I've never had it happen to me with a YS. It's frustrating!.... I to have been having an issue of getting the thing to turn over with my normal starter. It worked fine on the 160 but won't turn this motor over.
Greg
Old 12-27-2008, 03:18 PM
riot3d

Before your first run, put a little fuel into the engine through the plug opening. Flip it over a bit, then, use a starter to spin the engine without the plug. Basically, you want to soak the inside with fuel to dissolve the lubricant that came with the engine.

Works every time.

Adrian
Old 12-27-2008, 04:25 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gregg,

Mine was also new,..............these engines are TIGHT,....no other word for it. I had a tremendous hard time getting mine to turn over. I spoke with Richard before I sent mine in to make sure what I was told was correct. Run this engine at a fast idle before you fly it and attempt to transition to full power,...it won't like it!!!! I had to invert the plane to even have a chance at starting it to take the fluid off the plug. I ran fuel through mine before hand to get the packing oil out of it,..still very tight. I have been told by others they just started it and flew it,...don't know about that one!

I am still at the factory settings with mine after 30+ flights now and it's happy there,..I fly at 165 feet above sea level? Just a note my valve stuck when I was running 20% cool power heli fuel,....don't think that has much to do with as much as the back fire did.

Best Regards,

Bill Holsten
Team Fliton
Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Gregg G

Thanks guys for the info.
Greg
Old 12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The first time a 170 runs, it has to be rich, I ussually set the needle to 1 3/4 turn, start, accelerate a bit, after some 30sec for warming up advance the throttle to 1/2 power and open the needle valve half turn more, run one tank.

After that, open the needle for a total of 1 1/2 turn, it should run fine like that to fly.

If your engine is completly dry, try putting a couple of oil drops on the rocker arms and valves.

The instructions onthe engine will guide you also, but this engine will not start easily if the needle valve is opened more than 2 turns, the engines come well lubricated from the factory but if it is not the case then put some oil in it.

Regards
Old 12-28-2008, 02:29 AM
cdodom

almost the samething happend to me a week before NATS last year. when we started the engine it would do nothing but surge at low idle and you couldnt shut the engine off for nothing. I just so happen to run into the problem, with the chin cowling off and the plane upside down I flipped the prop over, to see it it had any compression it had some but not alot. but as I turned it over I saw a mist of fuel come from the head. turns out the valve cover gasket had a fold in it. man was that lucky.lol

Chris Odom
Team Black Magic
Team Dragon fire
Old 12-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Gregg G

OKAY!!!!....so I go to take off the valve cover and check it out and magically the compression has come back! I suspect the stuck valve is no longer stuck. I'm going to try it again and we'll keep our fingers crossed! Thanks again everybody for the advice.
Greg Grigsby