Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Os 160 Fi

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:12 PM
wvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os 160 Fi

Hello there,

Does anybody already have got experience with the OS160-Fuel Injection in pattern. Does the FI will give more power, does it arrange the correct amount of fuel with changing wheater, or do you still have to fiddle with idle and main needles.

With other words, is this a fire and forget engine?

I do run the normal OS160 and like it already. I was wondering if the FI will make it a perfect engine?

Thx
W
Old 06-16-2003, 08:26 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Os 160 Fi

It should be setup and forget. Looking at the picture on Towerhobbies, there are no needles. Fuel metering is determined by comparing throttle position, cylinder temp and RPM. Just like the 1.40.

John
Old 06-16-2003, 08:26 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have good experiences with the 1.60FI

The set-up is similar, but simpler than the 140FI. No digital readout, the basic settings are made with a simple LED light to set low and high throttle. There are no needles. After setting the low and high limits, the tuning is accomplished with one of the proportional knobs on the transmitter.

Like any motor, weather changes (especially here in Europe where the humidity levels and temperature levels change frequently and dramatically), the motor might need small adjustments, but after the basic settings are performed on the low, mid-range, and highspeed power bands, the ECU is set to a setting that allows adjustment of the whole power band in a linear fashion. OK, if all of that is greek, take a look at the manual for a while on the O.S. website.

My personal thoughts on the 160EFI is that it is the smoothest running, most powerful motor in it's class (sport) for it's size, and the one I worked with was flawless. I do not know if it actually makes more power than the regular version, but it sure has better response (pressurized system) and incredible linearity. The Hatori long muffler and wrap around header make the combo very difficult to beat.

The nicest thing is that if the setting is not right after takeoff, a little twist of the transmitter knob will get you back in shape.

Mark
Old 06-16-2003, 09:34 PM
mola
My Feedback: (1)

Default OS-140FI vs. OS-160FI

Hi Mark,

How would you rate the OS-160FX-FI versus the OS-140RX-FI. Which one has the best power and running characteristics?

I have a Synergy kit waiting to be built and was wondering which one you would recommend... I have a YS-140DZ that was originally bought for this model, but after hearing several of them I'm NOT impressed by the sound level (or the fuel consumption for that matter). It is my impression that the YS engines, which have a peak power around 9000 rpm, are all very close to the FAI noise limit !!! And they seem noisy in the air.

At the EC2002 in Spain last year it was my impression that all the Dingo fliers were dangerously close to the noise limit. The only Dingo that sounded good (quiet) in flight was the one of CPLR, and he was using the MEGA buck Asano exhaust pipe and a cowling with a soft foam layer on the inside (probably to reduce resonance of the thin material).
Old 06-17-2003, 06:15 AM
MarkNovack

Default OS versus YS.

Well, my opinion is that for pattern, the YS is superior in all respects other than noise limits. In the air, however, it is not noisy at all as the entire P-03 program can be flown at 60% throttle (pulling power).

That aside, the OS140EFI makes better power than the OS160EFI but not by much. It is smaller and lighter but tuned for max power. It pulls vertical better when talking F3A. I recommend running the OS recommendation of the 16-14 for pattern. For this motor, that propellor gives great results...it will slow down just fine for the spin. I find the pitch is necessary to climb at nice tempo when turning the lower RPMs recommended by OS.

Mark
Old 06-17-2003, 09:13 AM
wvr

Default Os 160 Fi

Hi Mark,
thanks for your answer. I'm wondering if the downline breaking of the OS160FI is comparable with an YS.
This because of the steady and possible lower idle of the FI.

If you would pick an engine for easy handling would you pick the YS or the FI.

I'm building an Evolis XL, which I will use next year for the Rc2 (intermediate program), Based on the good experience with the standard 160, I was thinking about the FI. Difficult choice?
;-)

Thx
Old 06-17-2003, 09:43 AM
MarkNovack

Default Tough choice.

I have seen plenty of DZs in the last year. No problems that I have noted.

The OS motors are also good. My gripe on the OS is the bearing issues. Either treat them after running with oil or prepare to change bearing regularly. Some people get 50 flights per set, others get 250 flights per set. Perhaps this is environmental due to humidity levels.

I believe that this difference is that the 4-stroke gets hot enough to cook out the methanol after each flight but the the 2-stroke allows residual methanol to stay in.

Downline braking is no problem. Even though the 2-stroke will accelerate on the downlines, they still provide quite good braking.

For me, the pulling power of the DZ is the deciding factor. More supple throughout the RPM range. It just reacts differently and for me is a more controllable type of power.

For top pilots, I think either motor will be fine. For less experienced pilots, the 4-stroke seems to give an advantage to throttle control.

Now, with all of that said, I think the only way to really decide is to take the few seasons to experiment with the two types of power.

Regards,
Mark
Old 06-18-2003, 01:42 PM
wvr

Default Os 160 Fi

Hi Mark,

Still collecting information about both engines, but because you are flying with them, one last question (for now)

Does the 160FI accelerate as quick as the Dingo or is it slower. For pattern this is not really important , at least I think you fly much smoother, but if you want to fly 3D (Hoovering/Torque roll) (Funtana!) this is important. Ant thoughts about that aspect of these engine's?

Thanks again,
Winfried
Old 06-18-2003, 01:54 PM
MarkNovack

Default Throttle response

I think that this favors the Dingo, but the EFI series are the best in the non-YS 2-stroke world. It also depends upon prop selection...heavier, wide bladed props are slower to spin up.

The 4-stroke torque is almost unbeatable. But hey, the 160FI does fine in 3D type flying.

Mark
Old 06-21-2003, 04:36 PM
mikehannah

Default Os 160 Fi

I am surprised you are not considering a Webra 145.
They are by all accounts lighter and more powerful than the OS140EFI. Cheaper and with the new MC Carb you get a very linear reponce with a very simple system to set up.
I am fitting one in a SL1A I am currently building.
I have flown Webras in my Helicopters for years and they have NEVER let me down and have pulled by nuts from the fire on several occasions when other makes would have given up the ghost and left me to crash and burn.

Mike
Old 06-21-2003, 05:09 PM
mola
My Feedback: (1)

Default YS vs. OS vs. Webra

Howdy,

Mark: Which pipes are you using on the YS-140DZ? I have a Hatori 693, but I'm wondering if the newer 698 is not quieter?? I guess the 698 was made specifically for the Dingo...

Regarding prop choice on the OS-140RX. I have had two of these engines, and I don't particularly like the APC 16x14 for pattern use. I have been using the APC 16.5x12W with good results though, and I know Ola Fremming from Norway always uses the APC 17x13 with great results.

On my latest OS-140RX I have installed the 3M dual plug cylinder head, and this both improves power and makes it throttle even better. I have not really had any trouble with a rich mid-range on any of my OS-140RX's but this could be because I always used the Greve exhaust systems and the new mixture control valve, which was introduced some years ago.

In my Rhapsody I'm using the new Mintor 3M-170. As run-in prop I have used the APC 16.5x12W, but will change to the APC 17x13 now because the 3M-170 pulls really hard!

In my opinion the Webra engines are also good, but I know that a lot of guys have been having trouble with them because the quality control at the factory is not the best. Some engines have good compression from the start, some have zero! This is all related to the older black head version however. I don't know how the newer red-head 145 and now 160's are running.

Power wise I heard from some users - who had both engines - that the OS-140RX is a little stronger than the Webra 145R (Black head). But again I don't know how the Webra 145 red-head compares to this.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:49 PM
MarkNovack

Default Pipes and things.

I use the ESComposites medium lenth 2-stroke pipe for the YS140DZ. Big, light, and quite quiet.

On my OS140FI I am using a 7 year old Asano...I don't really care for it's slip fit design. The O-ring leaks badly creating extra noise and gets everything inside the belly pan nice and oily.

I'm not too sure, but I think the ES pipes are high tech workalikes to the Hatori pipes.

For propellor, on the FI I'm using the 16-14. For me it works great. No problem in slowing down and great velocity on the uplines. Also, the motor and ECU really adapt well to it. It runs smoother with that prop than with a 17-12, the only other prop I have experimented with other than a 17-10 with which I did some freestyle training.

I have read many great things about the Webra, but I am not a trend setter nor have I seen one in person running.

As my old equipement wears out, I shall go YS down the line for the simplicity of use.

Mark
Old 06-23-2003, 12:05 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Os 160 Fi

I have an OS140 EFI in my Smaragd. I have flown with the YS 140L. From my observations at the Nederland contest this weekend, both the OS140 and YS140DZ have similar power levels. Even with an ES pipe, the YS is louder. I think this is because the YS seems to rev up more. With throttle management, the FAI guys are quiet with both set-ups. I used to have to do a lot more maintenance with my YS engines. After some 400 flights on the OS140 EFI, I have had to only replace one rear bearing. The OS Type F plugs last some 150 flights.

One thing for sure, I get much better fuel economy with the OS140. I have a 20oz tank and with normal throttle management, I can do the Masters pattern twice before I land. This is with 15% or 20% nitro fuel. The YS140DZ guys run 30% or greater nitro. 20oz is barely enough to do one FAI pattern. Plus these guys have to use a bladder tank.

I switched fuels before the contest, so on my first flight, the engine was slightly rich. No problem with my transmitter mixture control. Once set up properly, the OS140 EFI runs like a swiss watch. Just my $0.02 worth.