Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2,4 mhz and ignition??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
nicepoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2,4 mhz and ignition??

Hello

Is there any company that have tested the 2,4mhz systems and how they work with YS 170 cdi?
It seams to bee alot of questions but no one seams to be sure.
Is it safe to use only one 6v cell for both ignition and radio or........?

Maybe Spectrum or Futaba has the answer?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: 2,4 mhz and ignition??

I have not had any problems.

Richard Verano has had no problems, Archie Stafford has had no problems, Brett Wickizer has had no problems, Troy Newman has had no problems, nor have Don Szczur, Bill Cunningham or Ivan Kristensen. I know Richard runs his motors on a 6v NiCd pack, and I believe Troy has tested his motors with a 5-cell pack with no issues.

It is absolutely fine. I don't think there is much, if any gray area here. I think most people that have been naysayers regarding this issue have not used this system.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:29 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying the Futaba setup and have seen no problems. My ignition module gets power from channel 7 on my receiver and works great. I don't even have a second switch on my ignition. Just never took the time to put on in. I'm careful with how I operate it and couldn't be happier with the setup.

As Ryan said, there are many people using the setup and I have yet to hear of any problems.

Arch
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
tuny

I think that if you can afford the extra weigth use a separate battery and a separate switch, is way much safer this way.

I´m using this setup on a futaba system:

7.4v, 900 mah lipo fot the cdi with a 6.0v regulator and a switch. the battery, regulator and the switc are about 90 grams

In my opinion the system is not designet to be powered from the receiver, in the manual YS says to use a separate battery...
using power directly from the receiver is like smoking... one cigarrete is not going to kill you but..............

TUNY
Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 AM
dragonlhk2388

It,s no problem with my setup too, I use one Lipo 1500ma with two leads,one for receiver,one for CDI,both switchded.So far so good.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 AM
rcpattern

Tuny,

I believe in the manual it is just written that way. It is kind of like servos that say NiCD only. The servos don't know. The Japanese team are running theirs through the radio system and they are working very closely with Futaba. You certainly aren't going to go wrong with a separate setup, but I don't believe it is necessary. The biggest drawback is if you had a short in the ignition system it could drain the battery quickly and then you'd lose both. I don't think you will every have a problem with interference, but it does add one other thing that could conceivably drain the battery. I run dual batteries through the receiver, but theoretically that would just make the batteries last longer before they both failed. I have seen no issues so far.

Arch
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

I'm running JR/Spektrum with the CDI plugged directly into the receiver for power, single battery, single Alt regulator @ 6.3V, single switch. Zero problems in about 40 flights. I'm not sponsored by YS or JR/Spektrum.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
tuny

Arch... just my opinion, I´m not saying you cant use it directly, but I´m 100% sure my setup is safer...
Old 04-27-2009, 02:29 PM
rcpattern

Tuny,

I will agree there. You definitely have an additional fail safe level that those of us running through the receiver do not have.

Arch
Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Rune

It has been reported some problem with 35 Mhz .
The cdi used power from RX .
any one else tried to use CDI with other than 2,4 ???
Old 04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
mwick

Brett has actually been running the CDI straight from the receiver on 72mghz. He hasn't made the switch to 2.4 yet. We haven't experienced any problems.

I am not recommending it, just saying we didn't have any problems.