Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Your biggest "AHA!" moments in your pattern career?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Your biggest "AHA!" moments in your pattern career?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:00 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your biggest

O.K. so how's this one . . .

Working on my first humpty-bump in the intermediate sequence, and I was struggling with rudder corrections once the plane was facing away from me in the upline, and I struck upon:

Push the rudder towards the low wing when the plane is facing away from you.

I'm certain most of you's guys do this instinctively now, but that's what I was thinking today Any comments, thoughts or incites?

Joe
Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 PM
swlarcham
My Feedback: (1)

Yep
Another way to say it is :
Push The Tail the direction it needs to go ( same as moving the wing)
When one wing is low the tail will be offset, so either thought process will work.
Which ever one you can remember until it becomes instinctive.
At what point it becomes instintive - Uh I don't know yet!!
Eddie
Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Andy P.

.....realising that the take off and the landing appearance and execution "DOES" matter when flying in FAI. Even tho your not scored on this it still has two very important aspects to your flight:

1. It creates your mind set for the flight your about to perform.

2. It creates the mind set of the judges that are about to perform.

Also, how important throttle management is when executing a stall turn (thanks Brandon )
Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 AM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: swlarcham

Yep
Push The Tail the direction it needs to go . . .
Eddie

Push the tail!

Why didn't I think of that?!?

Thanks for the tip. I like that much better than my low wing thought.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM
swlarcham

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

ORIGINAL: swlarcham

Yep
Push The Tail the direction it needs to go . . .
Eddie
Push the tail!

Why didn't I think of that?!?

Thanks for the tip. I like that much better than my low wing thought.

Thanks .
It really helps me to visualize : driving the nose on the upline before the 1/2 roll and driving the tail after the roll. Same thing on the half square loop with 1/2 roll and other similar places.

Eddie
Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Daniel Z

I saw once Quique setting the radio for a new Ptihon 100cc, and he uses different expo (more to the right) I think it was because of P factor, to get the same feel on both KE, I know it is not a pattern plane but the guy sure knows how to setup a plane!
Actually it's because it's easier for your hand/fingers/thumb to move the stick one way vs the other.

My biggest A-HA moment is when I learned to properly trim an airplane, so that I was no longer fighting the airplane from doing what IT wanted to do, and instead was simply telling it was I wanted it to do. And trimming the airplane starts before it ever breaks ground. Tony F is one of the best there is at this. I think Troy Newman did a detailed article series somewhere (might have even been here) on aircraft/radio setup and trimming, all info gleaned from time with Tony.

The short version is.. Never accept something as 'good enough'. It's either right, or it's not.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:19 PM
2Sunny

Reinvigorating an "old thread" . . .

Today's "AH HAH!"

I realized that the braking function on an esc actually does make a difference.

I am still learning as if "drinking from a fire hose", but that does change the fact that I'm learning something . . . not always the RIGHT thing at first . . . but something. Anyways, I used today's perfect conditions at the field to play with the braking function on various esc's and was surprised to find that I could discern a difference in how the down lines looked when I properly engaged medium to hard braking versus the idle RPM or free spinning mode I had previously been using.

And that's it May be simple to some, but it was a genuine insight for me . . . esc braking does have an effect and learning how your esc, motor, and plane are affected is worthwhile.

Joe
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
2Sunny

Had what I think was a good "aha" Friday after talking with my mentor about the two 1/2 rolls reversed in the Intermediate Sequence. He pointed out that with this particular maneuver one simply needs to add a touch of opposite rudder to the roll going in and then hold it for the return opposite roll. In my mind I was breaking it into two parts or two separate movements with a rudder pause inbetween, but really you can make it a smooth roll - touch - roll while holding the same rudder input.

Truth be told that Mr. Moon owned up to the fact that it was DaveL that pointed this particular "aha" to him originally.

Anyways, nothin' big just a little added learning that I thought I'd share

Joe
Old 05-14-2010, 11:45 AM
teookie

I'm sure everyone already knows this one:

For belly-in knife edge; push the rudder in the direction of flight. Was definitely an ah-ha! moment for me.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Strat2003

Something that kind of mystifies me...When we're practicing and I'm calling for my buddies I can tell them the proper rudder corrections much more easily than I can DO it when we switch places.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
mjfrederick

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

Something that kind of mystifies me...When we're practicing and I'm calling for my buddies I can tell them the proper rudder corrections much more easily than I can DO it when we switch places.
That's because when you're not flying there's no consequence to getting it wrong, so you say it without fear. When you're flying you probably are second-guessing yourself. I know what you mean though. Backseat flying is always easier.