Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Venus II Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 AM
chuck993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venus II Review

My impressions of the Venus II so far...(not a professional flier, just my opinion)

I like the plane, not a fan of the cheesey build your self with toilet paper roll bolt guides or the belly pan...but overall, I really like the plane and the O.S. 120AX gives it unlimited vertical.

What I find puzzling is that it does not perform any better than my Aeroworks 35CC Extra 300, maybe a little crisper on some moves but that appears to be it...and as a buddy of mine said yesterday, it flies like my Aeroworks Edge 540T 60 to 90 size plane.

This is my first pattern plane and I thought it would lock in on all maneuvers, but I am not seeing much/ if any improvement over the 2 planes I just mentioned, so I am somewhat puzzled.

That being said, I give a thumbs up to the Venus II overall, just eliminate the belly pan/toilet paper bolt guides...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Venus II Review

I got the Venus II as my third plane, after a 'low wing sport trainer' type airframe. At that time I felt that the plane seemed to lock into certain maneuvers, but after flying it for almost a year I feel less and less locked in. I had a masters level pilot fly my plane and even with a pro at the sticks it didn't look nearly as locked in as any of the other 'real' pattern ships I've seen at the meets.

I don't know how much can be done with trimming. I still feel relatively new at this whole thing and don't feel right asking someone to help me through the whole process of trimming a plane. For some reason I feel the process would be easier with a 'real' precision plane, but it is just a guess.

One thing I thought of is that I didn't build my plane with precision tools; I just followed the instructions in the manual using their suggested methods. Everything seems pretty square using a tape and carpenters tools. I have not checked any of the incidences with but have with the trim chart procedures.

My coach had a good point that flying the Venus will help with learning corrections. I plan on flying it for the remainder of this season and really concentrating on making my corrections and hopefully being that much better with a more advanced plane.

I believe the plane is enough to win the Sportsmans level. Most of the planes flying intermediate in my district are far superior - Vivat, Integral, another thousand dollar airframe, and then a Focus Sport. I know the pilot is what wins the meets, but I also believe I'd be at at least a small disadvantage if I was competing against these planes.

Still for $280 the plane is a good deal and will hopefully be a reasonable backup/practice plane for the years to come.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
RCBruski65
My Feedback: (44)

The Venus II isn't a full fledged pattern plane. It's a sport plane that looks somewhat like a pattern plane. Being less expensive and flying pretty good it serves it's purpose. Get a 1.20 sized pattern plane and I bet you would feel a difference then.

Tim
Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe, IMHO your last 3 paragraphs were right on the money....nuff said...[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, I agree with your final assessment also.

Tim, what is your definition of a 'full fledged pattern plane'? Pattern competition isn't governed by types of planes, only size and weight. We have several very competitive flyers here in Sacramento flying Venus II planes. In fact, it is one of the planes we recommend to people wanting to get into pattern. Inexpensive, flies well, easy to power either glo or electric and easy to replace if a whoops happens.

Yes, the top pilots can get their moneys worth from the top $$$ 2M FAI type planes due to their experience but for entry level flyers, a simple and nice flying plane is an advantage over a much more complex setup. At least until the pilot can out fly the plane..... JMO of course.

Woodie
Old 07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
RCBruski65
My Feedback: (44)

I agree for beginners it can't be beat. I'm talking about something designed specifically for pattern with airfoiled tail surfaces and stretched out. I still have a focus 2 that is a great flying plane. It's more money than the venus but I believe it flies quite a bit better for the locked in feeling they are talking about. I was just commenting on their mention of it not feeling locked in. Sorry I'll go back in my hole.

Tim
Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 PM
chuck993

Don't go back in your hole, this is meant as a general impression of the Venus II, I said I really like the plane, I just thought it would fly "locked in" and crisper on all the IMAC type maneuvers. This is not a slam to the Venus, I think it is a great plane...no pun intended...
Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
sgsterling
My Feedback: (2)

Also, even the big money 2 meter planes don't automatically lock in with some work. Many hours are typically spent trying different CGs, wing and stab incidences, engine thrust angles, etc.

I've been flying pattern for about 10 years, and still don't really have a good handle on this "trimming" thing. You might find moving the CG or reducing the control throws might feel better, or you might think it is worse, but it is essential part of pattern to experiment for improvement. There is a new trimming guide put out by Brian Hebert, I think available on the www.nsrca.us website, that I have recently been trying that might help.

Goal here will be to get the best your Venus can possibly do.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sgsterling

Also, even the big money 2 meter planes don't automatically lock in with some work. Many hours are typically spent trying different CGs, wing and stab incidences, engine thrust angles, etc.
Even the best models won't "lock in" unless they are properly trimmed. Proper trimming is a difficult and complex process that takes many hours of flight.