Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Auto Darkening glasses? Pro's vs Con's

I've spent the last 6 months or so getting my eye sight sorted out due to Diabetes. Now that the doctor says I can get my prescription glasses I'm pondering the idea of the auto darkening type versus the normal type then using sunglasses over them.

It has been very frustrating flying and actually losing orientation at times and flying a "Fuzzy" airplane pretty much all the time unless I was flying right over the runway.

You guys that have actually have these auto darkening glasses would you buy them again or just go with normal glasses and use sunglasses over them?

Thanks

Tim
    Be a kid forever, fly models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Auto Darkening glasses? Pro's vs Con's

I do have "auto darkening" glasses, and I'm pretty pleased with them... I also have dark sunglasses with the correct strength for those really sunny days. You don`t get auto darkening glasses to be really dark...
    The auto darkening glasses will get "tinted" over time - they will not go back to being untinted... But this only happens after a couple of years.

My auto darkening glasses are the ones I use every day. Indoors as well as outdoors. The opics are much better in these glasses compared to my sunglasses. This is due to the curvature of the glass (sunglasses tend to have more curvature than normal "everyday" glasses, and it is limited how much strength you can have on curved glass). You could of course get "normal" sunglasses with less curvature, but I like to get rid of sun from the sides as well.
    the sunglasses are expensive, so an alternative is of course to buy a pair of ZΓΌrich sunglasses (the really big, chick-magnet ones....) and place them over your regular glasses. Works quite well.

One bad thing having them both, is if you`re wearing the sunglasses and go indoors, you have to take them off to see... And of course, you don`t... I always tend to forget to bring them both!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also have diabetes. I wear auto-darkening glasses, and also use sunglasses over top of them. I prefer brown tinted sunglasses, as for me, the brown tint makes the plane stand out better against the sky. I also have a pair of Zurich sun glasses that are sort of a pink tint. They work great, mostly because of the covering on the sides that blocks side light. It is a wonderful thing being both old and having diabetes. your eyes work sooo good!!!! any how, for what it's worth, I would suggest, at the least sun glasses, and try the brown tint.

Bruce

aa2dd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm as short sighted as they come and wear extended-wear contact lenses to correct my vision.

I don't know if they're available in the USA but there is an Australian manufacturer of Sunglasses called Spotters (http://www.spotters.com.au). They have a lense called the Penetrator which are Polarised and auto darkening with a tint that progresses from a light orange-brown through to brown. (http://www.spotters.com.au/Spotter-S...ator-Lens.html)

I find them supurb for driving & flying as the lightest tint is great on cloudy days and the darkest is ample for bright days.

The light tint tends to make you look a bit like Bono from U2 with his yellow shades so you get the occasional odd look from bystanders, but i don't care because they really help me see well.

They're also not cheap. Mine cost $300 but worth every penny IMO.

They are available in Prescription lenses too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to use tri-focals for glasses. So I wear a summer outback hat with a three inch brim for cloudy and semi cloudy days. But when the skies are blue and the sun is in full force I switch to single lens photo grays. I never notice the transition and I am always able to keep focused on the model. I really like them as my eyes don't feel strained and dry. I can't see close up to read or work with small parts so I just switch back to the tri-focals and do what I have to and put the photo grays and my hat back on and onto somemore flying.
    Bob