Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ZN Line Xigris Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ZN Line Xigris Build Thread

ORIGINAL: can773
Chad,
Great build thread. Did you find it necessary to bevel the rudder post ? It would mean cutting out a new post out of 1/2" stock or laminating to the existing 3/8" post. ( No bigge, but gotta watch the weight).
Besides function, I sort a like the appearance of a bevel on the tailpost.

Then its time to start beveling everything.

I mark down the centerline, then use a bit of trig to determine where the bevel should intersect the surface at the root and tip, and then place a strip of tape along that line for a guide. I do most of the beveling with a planer, and a sharp blade and a lot of patience, and only do a very light final sand. The only trick is the hardpoint, I usually bevel around it and then get it close with the belt sander and finally match it with a sanding bar to the rest of the surface.

If you are careful you can get a bevel that is gapless when deflected.

My typical throws for beveling are,

Ailerons - 25 degrees up/down
Elevator - 20 degrees up/down
Rudder - 35 degrees.

I also always double bevel both surface and fixed part, 10 degrees on the fixed part and the makeup on the movable part.