Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Insight - Retro

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Insight - Retro

I purchased a set of Insight CAD drawn plans from the designer flyintexan that has is build thread on the forum at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28..._1/key_/tm.htm I wanted to do some experimenting with the design to modify it slightly to make it an Insight with a retro look. I chose the Insight because the design and engineering work is extremely well done and it flys awsome.

I wanted it to have a 80s retro look with tri gear retracts, anhedral stab, side mounted OS 160FX with a standard muffler. With the OS 160FX side mounted I wouldn’t need the lower channel in the bottom of the fuselage for the pipe, etc. To make the retract main gear legs a reasonable length I lowered the wing to the bottom of the fuselage. I figured if Chip Hyde's new design has the wing lower for better visibility that the 0 0 0 fad might be fading. If I extended the main parts of the fuselage down around the wing area the wing could be moved to the bottom of the fuselage and still use the wing tube. The nose gear looks like it would mount nicely behind the firewall but the main gear wheel wells end up too close to the wing tube. Might need to move the wing tube forward a little to get the gear placement correct. I’m not sure where I’m going with this but its fun to have the plans and play with ideas. I want a 80s retro look and the front now looks like a cross between the lower part of a Tipo and the canopy area forward like a Blue Angel and the transition line behind the canopy that slopes back to the tail. I made little scale foam model to be able to visualize it better.

See some of the modifications to the plans in the image below.

To be continued…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14334.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	262018  
Old 04-23-2005, 06:43 PM

Default RE: Insight - Retro

Images of the scale model with the trike gear up!.

To be continued…

Name:	Ig12138.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	262023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13668.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	262024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61035.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	262025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79552.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	262026  
Old 04-23-2005, 06:52 PM

More images of the scale model. Pease ignore the warp in the right wing, I don’t have all sanding done on the model yet. The model is very helpful in viewing the shape from any angle and making changes to make it more eye pleasing. From some of the views I can already see that big 2M ship in the air.

To be continued…

Name:	Vt58689.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	262027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98424.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	262028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10658.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	262029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18222.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	262030  
Old 04-23-2005, 06:58 PM

More

To be continued…

Name:	Zx70513.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	262031  
Old 04-23-2005, 07:13 PM

These are things that have been modified:

Side plan view of the fuselage.
Fuselage is narrower by 1". Might need more.
Vertical stab leading edge angle changed.
Will use side mounted engine.
Nose side farings were removed.
Nose and main retract gear installed.
Wing lowered to the bottom of the fuselage.
Angle of the bottom part of the rudder changed.
Lower part of the fuselage ahead of the rudder bottom changed.
Area behind the spinner was change to mold into the spinner shape.
The air intake at the front of the fuselage was moved back.
All the moment arms remain the same.
Wings and horizontal stab remain the same and stab anhedral added.
All of the contraction techniques would remain the same excluding the removable front top of the fuselage that would be fiber glassed directly over the foam because of the complex curves.

To be continued…
Old 04-23-2005, 10:26 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the looks of that, although because it is different in many ways, only a flight test will tell how it acts in all axes during flight. One thing to remember is that the wing area is rather small (approx. 880sq.in.), so try to keep all mods light....if the trike gear adds significant weight, you might want to ponder adding a bit of wing area....maybe add 1-1/4" or so to the chord of the wing...that would give you about another 100sq.in. to keep the wing loading down.

If I can provide you with modified templates, I'll help in any way I can.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Flyitorcrashtrying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks a little to small for a 1.60. Have you done anything more about a full size one?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM
MarkGrabowski

Nifty idea! I've thought about building a 110-120% Tipo and using an OS120....
Yours would be awesome! The Tipo has such nice lines, good to see that styling alive and well.
Just an fyi, for the os160, if ground clearance for the prop becomes an issue, many pilots use an apc 3 blade prop (15" diameter, I believe) that is re-pitched by Dave Lockhart.
You may also be able to extend the gear legs without ill effect by using carbon fiber struts in place of the original ones...MTK has posted on that topic before.
If you do build it, post some photos for us!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 8178

I purchased a set of Insight CAD drawn plans from the designer flyintexan that has is build thread on the forum at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28..._1/key_/tm.htm I wanted to do some experimenting with the design to modify it slightly to make it an Insight with a retro look. I chose the Insight because the design and engineering work is extremely well done and it flys awsome.

I wanted it to have a 80s retro look with tri gear retracts, anhedral stab, side mounted OS 160FX with a standard muffler. With the OS 160FX side mounted I wouldn’t need the lower channel in the bottom of the fuselage for the pipe, etc. To make the retract main gear legs a reasonable length I lowered the wing to the bottom of the fuselage. I figured if Chip Hyde's new design has the wing lower for better visibility that the 0 0 0 fad might be fading. If I extended the main parts of the fuselage down around the wing area the wing could be moved to the bottom of the fuselage and still use the wing tube. The nose gear looks like it would mount nicely behind the firewall but the main gear wheel wells end up too close to the wing tube. Might need to move the wing tube forward a little to get the gear placement correct. I’m not sure where I’m going with this but its fun to have the plans and play with ideas. I want a 80s retro look and the front now looks like a cross between the lower part of a Tipo and the canopy area forward like a Blue Angel and the transition line behind the canopy that slopes back to the tail. I made little scale foam model to be able to visualize it better.

See some of the modifications to the plans in the image below.

To be continued…
8178, just read what you wrote regarding wing location. You may want to determine what dihedral your new model will need with wing that low on the fuse....it will be much more than stock configuration.

Try making a foamy first with the right geometry and get dihedral angle. This will translate to the larger model fine.

I like your thinking on this project. Hope you go through with it. You will learn alot. Good luck and if I can help with the design aspect, let me know.

Matt Kebabjian
Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MarkGrabowski

Nifty idea! I've thought about building a 110-120% Tipo and using an OS120....
Yours would be awesome! The Tipo has such nice lines, good to see that styling alive and well.
Just an fyi, for the os160, if ground clearance for the prop becomes an issue, many pilots use an apc 3 blade prop (15'' diameter, I believe) that is re-pitched by Dave Lockhart.
You may also be able to extend the gear legs without ill effect by using carbon fiber struts in place of the original ones...MTK has posted on that topic before.
If you do build it, post some photos for us!
Yes Mark is correct.

If you definitely want retracts on this bird, nose gear length might be a problem. Anyway, what I've done successfully is to cut the steel strut below the spring, leaving about 3/4" stub. Carbon tubing is then epoxied over the stub. Carbon tubing with a .156" ID is readily available from ACP. You want an OD of around 1/4". Use aircraft grade epoxy adhesive. I ca'd a short length of aluminum tube over the carbon tube around the stub to keep the tube from splitting. It probably would not have been a problem, but I didn't want to tempt fate.

Bend an L stub for the wheel axle and epoxy in

The spring takes all the shock.

Carbon tube saves considerable weight compared to the steel strut (long struts need to be at least 3/16") and is much stiffer than steel or titanium. A 9" nose strut should be straight forward. Should give you all the clearance you want and be light enough to actuate with one servo for all 3 gears

Matt Kebabjian
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Flyitorcrashtrying

8178:

Ijust realized that this is over 5 years old. It does remind me of a Tiporare. Which reminds me that Ihave a Tipo kit that i bought when it first came out and only got as far as routing out the wheel wells. what is that, about 25-30 years old now? Maybe it is time I got around to working on that.

I would really like this though if you made it reality. Not sure how many other projects you have going. Iwant to build a Cosmos 60 sometime soon as well.

Loved your Blue Angel build and the Tipo build as well.