Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Setting up a radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:24 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Setting up a radio

Okay, I would like to ask about how you guys set up your radio for pattern flying. From what I understand you will need the following mixes etc:

i. THR-ELE for downlines and upline;
ii. DIFFERENTIAL, if necessary ... let's assume it is;
iii. KE mix

Now, would you all assign a switch for each each or would it be left on permanently or set on CONDITIONS/FLIGHT MODE and used for a combination of certain maneuvers. I have read that:

i. KE mix helps keep the plane level in KE but that it will also ensure that the plane flies straight when rudder is used on level flight, is that true?
ii. THR-ELE mix when left on makes level flying a little tedious for me, it wants to drop. Should I sort out my CG more so I need very little of the mix?

Can someone please assist? I am using a JR 9X which is like the 9303. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 AM
mjfrederick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Setting up a radio

The only mixes I use are the mixing required to have the ailerons on separate channels and spoilers for certain situations. If you can find Troy Newman's e-mail address somewhere he could probably assist you with how to set up mixes on JR.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 AM
tIANci

MJ ... actually, I am keen to know if its necessary to have the mixes on a switch or it can be left there ... thanks for the heads up ...
Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

tIANci,

On my BeatOn, I have rudder/elevator mix on by default (activated without being assigned to a switch).
On my Inspire, I have to leave it on a switch because the plane behave differently at Knife edge. I am still in the middle of trimming, so the mix will change a little later.

I am trying to trim for the minimal mixing as others.

Aileron Differential is on alway (not on a switch).
Rudder/Elevator mixing maybe on a switch or permanently on.

Throttle/elevator mixing. I think it has to be about the thrust/incidences, not just the CG. 0-0-0 may be necessary to have this mixing.

Ihncheol
Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Rendegade

I would suggest that you do some reading around the site looking for bryan herberts triangulation method for setting incidence and CG.

The reason I say this is that what you really want is an aircraft that requires the MINIMAL amount of computerised mixing. if it flies almost perfect without mix you won't have problems later on when you come to do maneuvres where the mix starts to send you of course because the thing you mixed out is no longer applicable.

This goes for thrust lines as well.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
PatternFlyer

That is what I was looking for. I know I have a copy somewhere, but can't find it.
It takes a while to actually almost finish the trimming process, but I have a contest this weekend, so for now it will have to wait.
Until then, a little mixing on rudder/elevator have to be on mix switch.

Ihncheol
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 PM
tIANci

PatternFlyer ... thanks for the feedback, I read that at times you do not want to use differential because of maneuvers such as spins you do not want that. Does it make a real difference?

Rendegade ... I know what you mean about getting the incidence right. Am going to work on that next, I have not learnt the blackart of setting up my plane's incidence etc. Time for me to do so.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 PM
PatternFlyer

tIANci,

If the plane needs differential for the aileron, I mostly keep it. Not sure if it affects the spin since spin is also a rotation along the longitudinal axis. If it doesn't roll well, it will look like a barrel roll isn't it?

Renegade,
I found the article Bryan wrote. I couldn't find the article here at RCU. I thought it was here. So I had to look for it at home including K-factors and NSRCA discussion list. It took a while searching the NSRCA-list. I still don't remember which issue of K-Factor has it.
Inspire have been setup as 0-0-0 from the factory and I am about the add the wing adjusters to increase the incidence. Hope it reduces the amount of the mixing down to nearly none.

Ihncheol
Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 AM
tIANci

Pattern ... what I read was with the differential off the plane will yaw more and that makes it better for spins. Perhaps some people are just splitting hairs. Heheheheehe ... Also, do you use ailerons for spins? Hmmmm ... thanks for educating me!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:32 AM
PatternFlyer

tIANci,

no, I don't always use ailerons for spin. I did spin with rudder/elevator only before. Then, googled aerobatic manuevers.

Some plane spins without any aileron inputs. Some do better with ailerons.
Just try with and without the aileron and see. You may have to adjust the amount of the aileron depending on the plane you fly.

Take a look at following
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...83-3a-3of7.pdf Page 4-13

Spin description.
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/mor...erobatics.html

Lots of things to learn.[>:] Just don't have enough time to memorize and do all.

Ihncheol
Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 AM
tIANci

PatternFlyer ... I shall start to do some reading then. Thanks a lot for the input. Need to really learn how to set up my plane so that I understand what it does and why!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

tIANci, I´m flying a CA Model Genesis, I use aileron differential, Rudder to elevator mix for KE flight a little amount between 3-5%. This is because when you aply rudder on KE the airplane wants to go to the canopy or the landing gear, and a 1-2 % RUD to AIL mix. This mixes are always on, I don´t activate them with a switch. I have a spin and snap conditions that I activate them with a switch when I´m going to perform that manuver.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 AM
tIANci

Ricardo ... thanks for the info. What do you program for the SNAP and SPIN conditions? More throws or ...
Old 09-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

In my case for the snap condition I use more aileron and rudder and less elevator (compare to the normal flight condition) and for spins more elevator and rudder.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
tIANci

Ricardo ... got it. Thanks!