Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

XtremeLink

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Columbus Ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XtremeLink

Anyone out there flying with the Xtreme Performance Systems (XPS) Xtreme Link Tx Module/RX 2.4 System?

Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: XtremeLink

I played with it a couple years ago. My late father went to XPS exclusively and had a lot of luck with it. However he did lose two planes, and almost another to apparent lock outs. The first one was a mystery, couldn't figure out what happened for months, another one went down on takeoff, similar type thing... just locked out on base to final and went in. The last time, the one he did not lose, just died on the runway after landing. Some research showed that some receivers just died... no apparent reason. He sent in the receivers and got them serviced and didn't have any other issues.

The versions that I used to use were not happy with the use of carbon fiber that is common in today's pattern ships. The Black Magic I am flying now came with a carbon fiber canopy, we set up a test with XPS... put an Rx under the canopy and hooked to a servo outside the canopy and did a range test. From all orientations the best we could get was 10 feet or so. Mike Hester layed us up a really light glass canopy and I'm using that right now... but I'm also using Futaba FASST as well.

Two reasons I don't use XPS on anything but helis or smaller planes... One, the carbon fiber issue... and two, I fly a 14MZ, they don't make a module for that. Though, dad was able to convert one of the universal modules and use it on his. Actually, he used two modules on one transmitter so he could run dual receivers. It worked... but that's a whole other thread.

Regards,

Tom M
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Columbus Ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently flying a JR 10x on 72. I love the radio and want to switch to the 12X 2.4. My club had a electric ducted fan show this weekend and XPS was there. I've heard of them before but don't know much about them. They told me DSM2 is not legal in Europe and that JR will have to switch to the FAAST type technology or the XPS technology in Europe. I wonder if JR will switch in the US as well. If so, if I get a 12X now can it be switched over to the FAAST/XPS systems or will I have to buy a new radio and receivers? JR makes radios for Graupner that use the XPS system for the Eurpean market. I wonder if this will be the case in the US. If so then I'm going to wait to make the switch.

Ron
Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know much about that issue... but if you want to know more about XPS, check out some of the threads on rcgroups (.com). There are plenty of threads about the pros and cons. XPS has made a lot of claims over the years, and not all of them have been found to be true. Don't know about this subject, I'm just sayin...