Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS 40 Pattern Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KAOS 40 Pattern Plane?

Is the Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 a pattern plane? I have an extra OS .46 and I thought this might be a cheap entry into a pattern plane. Or, are there better options?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Strat2003

Default RE: KAOS 40 Pattern Plane?

The Kaos 40 will fly all the maneuvers in the Sportsman pattern well. A 13 year old finished third with one in the D4 Championship contest this September.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

I won a contest at sportsman with one. (called Novice at the time) It was powered by a K&B .40, and the competition was pretty good, but they were mostly flying comparable stuff, like a Goldberg Extra, and I think a .60 sized Kaos. (It was a long time ago, and memory fades). If it is what you have, and you want to try a pattern contest, I say go for it.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The KAOS will be just fine for Sportsman and a great way to give pattern a try. As Scott pointed out above, there was a young man who did quite well for himself at the D4 Champs and that was his first contest.

Even if you decide pattern is not for you, you will have a very nice plane that is just a blast to fly.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:52 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually maidened one of these last week for a guy and I was really happy with how it flew. Great flyinig plane. He had an OS .46 on it, but yours would be similar with more than enough power. Certainly capable of anything for sportsman.

Arch
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

I actually maidened one of these last week for a guy and I was really happy with how it flew. Great flyinig plane. He had an OS .46 on it, but yours would be similar with more than enough power. Certainly capable of anything for sportsman.

Arch
Arch andthose that have flown one...

The Kaos 40 came up in my discussion during a meeting w/ 60+ members ofthe Evansville, Indiana RC Club, which will host a Pattern Contest this year (Shameless Plug...vbg). I recommendedthe Kaos 40as a low cost way to enter pattern as Tower has it for $119.00 and Hobby People has a Magnum XLS-46 for $49...

I believe any good 46 will fly it well. I am curious as to how well?

Which OS 46 was in it and how did it pull in Stall Turns...I'm sure that the vertical line would be plenty tall, but short of unlimited.

Now with that said, unlimited Vertical isn't necessary for Sportsman...

Larry Diamond
[email protected]
Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Larry,

Just for the fun of it, I flew the Masters figure M and had no problems. It was the new OS .46AX. You could easily fly it though the entire sportsman pattern with no problems. Granted, it wasnt unlimited, but you don't need it to be. Would someone flying this have to work a little harder than someone flying a 2M bird with a 1.70DZ, yes, but that doesn't mean that in the right hands it couldn't win sportsman.

Arch
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Uncas

Thanks for your replies - I will likely buy one for next season.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:45 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Larry,

Just for the fun of it, I flew the Masters figure M and had no problems. It was the new OS .46AX. You could easily fly it though the entire sportsman pattern with no problems. Granted, it wasnt unlimited, but you don't need it to be. Would someone flying this have to work a little harder than someone flying a 2M bird with a 1.70DZ, yes, but that doesn't mean that in the right hands it couldn't win sportsman.

Arch
In the right hands the plane is capable of winning in Advanced

MattK
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Steve Steinbring

I have a Kaos 40 from Tower powered by an OS 46AX which gives it great power to do most maneuvers well. Great airplane for the money flying a SPA contest with it! Being at the Sportsman level the Kaos certainly makes me work a bit harder than flying my Venus II then again a earlier generation pattern design, it will certainly remain in my hanger.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Guys,

For an even more economical setup - you might consider the Thunder Tiger Pro 46 engine ($94.99 at Tower) as opposed to the OS 46AX at $129.99. Very popular engine with the extreme speed prop guys.

Gene
Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM
maynardrupp

If you are considering the OS46AX, for a few bucks more, the OS55AX is a more modern engine and fits in the same mount. I have had both in SIG Somethin' Extras and the 55AX is clearly a better engine with a lot more available power. It starts, runs, and idles better than the 46.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: maynardrupp

If you are considering the OS46AX, for a few bucks more, the OS55AX is a more modern engine and fits in the same mount. I have had both in SIG Somethin' Extras and the 55AX is clearly a better engine with a lot more available power. It starts, runs, and idles better than the 46.
If you want this plane to have unlimited vertical, the OS 55AX is the engine I would recommend for power Vs $$$. However, I have flown a 6 pound Trainer 40 for 8 years on a TT 46 PRO SE (as it was called back in the early 90s). Plenty of power and I could have flownthe Sportsman sequence.

I currently have an OS 55AX in a ZEN 50 w/ unlimited vertical on a new (not broke in) engine and it weighs 6 pounds.

Again, I believe the Magnum XLS-46, OS 46AX, Thunder Tiger 46 Pro, and Super Tiger GS-45 ABC will fly the Kaos 40 well for trying out pattern. Most economical buy is the Magnum XLS-46 as Hobby People has it on sale for $49.99.

I will probably be getting one for my wife...

LLD
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM
richardgerardi

Excellent just got the Kaos for fathers day and thinking of putting it together. I was thinking of an OS 46Ax. I have a couple of them and love them. I also have 55AX on a Carl Goldberg Cub and it moves that plane like a jet. I may sawp them will see. Good luck with it.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi

Excellent just got the Kaos for fathers day and thinking of putting it together. I was thinking of an OS 46Ax. I have a couple of them and love them. I also have 55AX on a Carl Goldberg Cub and it moves that plane like a jet. I may sawp them will see. Good luck with it.
Put the 46AX on the cub and the 55AX on the Kaos. Move the battery all the way to the back and the Rx just in front of the servos.My wife's Kaosbalances without any lead perfectly.

Let me know if you want pics.

A buddy of mine has a 46AX in his and has plenty of power for Sportsman and plenty of vertical performance.. His battery and Rx are per plans and it balanced perfectly with no lead added.