Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Valiant By Bryan Hebert (First Flight)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Valiant By Bryan Hebert (First Flight)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Valiant By Bryan Hebert (First Flight)

Dick,

There has to be other places to get cool power near you. There are a lot of pattern guys near Houston and several of them are running Cool Power. Hopefully some of them will chime in with a location to get the fuel.

Arch
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
riot3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pattratt

I have everything I need to get the acc. I need except the info on the YS mount. I like the looks of the mount design assuming it can be mounted in the Valiant and is not to heavey!
The engine arrived today.

Dick
Dick,

What kind of info do you need for the YS mount? I have been using the mount for over 6 years ever since the 160 DZ first came out. IMHO, it is one of the best engine mount on the market. It reduces both noise & vibration, the only maintenance required is to refill the shock absorber periodically with Tamiya oil.

However, you do need a rail/ beam type platform on the engine compartment for the mount installation. In addition, there are two types of mount, type 1 for the 140/ 160 which I believe it's no longer available, and type 2 for the 170 which has a stronger rear mount assembly.

Hope this helps.

Adrian
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

Arch

Thanks for the reply.

I found out there is a local shop that carries Cool Power but not the heli LS. I am going to talk to them about a quanity discount! Can't hurt to ask. There is a couple of guys who use it but they are "sponsored!" I bought a case thru Tower and it was $45.75 a gallon which I find "outrageous!!" I guess that's what happens when you get OLD!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 PM
pattratt

Adrian

If you have been following this thread you know I have ordered Bryans new Valiant. It comes with a firewall mount former that is not installed. I needed to find out if it would be practical to convert the Valiant to a beam mount. If it can be, the only other issue would be a comparision of weight between the the two mounts. Bryan indicated an all up weight of 10.5 lbs with the YS 170 DZ CDI and a hyde mount. That means I don't have much room for additional weight. You said you had been using one for several years, were these aircraft designed with beam mounts or did you have to modify them. I believe Mike Harrision is also using this mount.
Thanks in advance fo any help on this.

Dick
Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 PM
riot3d

Dick,

Attached pix of one of my plane with the build-in beam to accommodate the YS mount. As for my other planes, since they do not have the beams, I'm using one of my friend's specially designed firewall bracket for the mount attachment.

You can definitely build the U shape beam yourself with ply & laminated with carbon fiber & attach it to the firewall. However, it takes time and adds weight. Therefore, it will definitely be easier to use the Hyde mount. Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hyde.

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93022.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	1385611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12304.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1385612  
Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 AM
pattratt

Adrian

Thanks for the pictures.
I am guessing that the effort to convert would be time consuming and heavier with little benefit. I will probably go with the Hyde!

Thanks again for the reply.

Dick
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Dick,

You should be able to get it for around 30.00 a gallon. You don't have to run the LS. The 30% Heli is fine, just gives a little more smoke trail. The engine runs the same on both,

Arch
Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
wagen017

ORIGINAL: pattratt

Arch

Thanks for the reply.

I found out there is a local shop that carries Cool Power but not the heli LS. I am going to talk to them about a quanity discount! Can't hurt to ask. There is a couple of guys who use it but they are ''sponsored!'' I bought a case thru Tower and it was $45.75 a gallon which I find ''outrageous!!'' I guess that's what happens when you get OLD!!!
You could consider coming over to the dark side and go electric. That is why many guys in Europe convert to electric. Running a YS is just too costly. Here Cool power costs 70$ a gallon.

Volkert

PS: and a YS170 900$....