Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Futaba 14MZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba 14MZ

Hey gus - been away for a while and getting ready to start again. Anything I need to do with my old 14M.

Billy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Futaba 14MZ

Other than get the latest updates, and probably move to 2.4 nothing. Mine still works great,

Arch
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

I fly Futaba for less than a year, 12Z. I would like to ask how often you change POTS on the Tx (I think has the same sticks as the 14MZ???).

Thanks in advance,
    Nikos
    Please check my blog:
    http://nikolas-3djunk.blogspot.com/

"Old" 14MZ. I'm still in the stoneages flying my 10X for non-competition airplanes then I guess! At least it's on 2.4.
    Ryan Smith

Team JR | Thunder Power RC
    F3A Unlimited | Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ryan... how are the escapements working out for you?

TO the OP.. Really nothing.. if it has been sitting for a while, it couldn't hurt to send it in for a quick going over......
    Extreme Flight RC tech support
    IMAC Vice President|IMAC Sequence Committee|IMAC National Judging Instructor|Team Futaba|Extreme Flight R/C|2014 IMAC World Championships Contest Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Nickolas

Hi,

I fly Futaba for less than a year, 12Z. I would like to ask how often you change POTS on the Tx (I think has the same sticks as the 14MZ???).

Thanks in advance,
    Nikos

The if and when of replacing pots is based on having an issue. The first tell is the trim changing when you switch conditions (unless programmed) or dual rates. And at any rate it really is worth sending your TX in about once a year just for a quick look see. I am always amazed how many times you see posts about losing a plane that start with "The radio has worked flawlessly for 10 years). Then ask if it has ever been in for a servicing and you get the deer in the headlights look!!

My 14 is 4.5 years old (March 05). I had the pots changed this summer when I sent it in during a downtime. I was not having any issues but they changed them out as a preventative measure due to the age.
    Team Futaba - RClipos.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all,

What is you average flight time with the 14MZ? How many pattern flights can you do 8-9 mins each with the 2.2 mAh pack and 20secs screensaver?

Finally I would like to use the option of the mix precentage memory, can you explain briefly how you do that? You fly and correct with thumbs in KE but the Tx stores the percentage of correction inputs and then you set these percentages in order to de-couple.

Always also had the question since I first used the 12Z. Do you use hysterisis and in which cases?

Oh...I like the fact that in latest version of software it does not ask you to transmit or not...

Thanks in advance,
    Nikos
    Please check my blog:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I get about 3 hours of on time with my 14MZ. This is normal flying and not a lot of messing with programming, etc. I stop at 40% showing, so you could get a bit longer if you wanted to. The attached graph shows the discharge curves for the packs I have now that are up to 5-1/2 years old. SO if you were to figure 10 minutes of on time per flight you would get 6 flights per hour for a total of about 18 flights in a day.

I do not use hystersis nor do I know anyone who does. As it was explained to me it was put in there at the request of the Japanese F3C pilots. No idea why.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki18818.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	1529689  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Thanks for the well justified answer. Can you please provide the models of these SONY packs? Is it possible to find a pack for the 14MZ of higher capacity?

Is it NP-FP70 or NP-F570?

Any input on the mixing question?

Thanks,
    Nikos
    Please check my blog:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NP-F570-I.../dp/B0002Y5WVQ

It is the Sony NP-F570 pack. I only buy the Sony branded ones. I have seen bad reports of the very inexpensive non-branded packs. All of the packs on my graphs are the Sony brand.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

On the 8th of December a new version of software came out. Do you know what exactly offers compared to the previous version? The pdf note in the Futaba web site accompanies the previous version.

This radio is quite good during flight may be is my idea but balances and feels better then the 12Z.

Thanks,
    Nikos
    Please check my blog:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Has anyone faced any issue when trying to charge the SONY NP-F570 pack through the Tx charge jack with a LiPo charger such as Triton etc? I have charged my original Futaba pack 100s of times through the Tx but with SONY I think I am facing a problem.

Your insight is wellcome.

Thanks,
    Nikos
    Please check my blog:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have bought some batteries on Ebay the latesest is 2600 mah works great  , and cheap to
    Rune Gjelsnes
    email: rungjels@gmail.com
    Norway

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just purchased 4 new 14MZ packs from tower last January and they "suck!" Having said that; I think a better charger is need than the one supplied. I get about 1.5 hours on my brand new packs, if I am doing setup stuff in the garage or 4 seven minute flights at the field and I am down to 70%.

I am going to look online for "Sony" handi-cam packs that will fit with more capicity. I know its possible, because I have an older Sony video recorder and the batteries are in the exact same case, just wrong voltage.

Later Gents,

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, I would suggest you find a way to charge the TX packs with a different charger just as a test. I have found my Futaba charger does not put a full charge in the packs. If you have a charger that handles Lithium Ion then it should work. All you have to do is figure out how to make the contacts work. There may be nothing wrong with your packs.

There are also many aftermarket chargers for those packs that are dirt cheap. I have a couple that run off 12V or AC that work fine. I keep one in my truck and one on the workbench.

Woodie
    \"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.\" Yogi Berra

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah,..I think someone else mentioned something to me a few years ago about the standard charger not getting the job done. All I have is my CellPro charger,..I could make up a connector for that,..to easy. I'm not sure if I can charge off of the banana plugs alone (need to find my manual or download one)? I was spoiled for years running the DuraLite packs for my 9Z WC2 and others. I could fly for about two weeks on one charge.

Just remembered I have an ACE LIPO charger,..will check and see if that might work also.

Thanks'

bholsten

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Is it possible to tell me whether you charge the after marker SONY packs on the Tx or outside the Tx? I face an issue when trying to charge the SONY pack on the Tx something that is not arising with the original Futaba pack. I used to charge the Futaba one with the Triton charger at two cell Lion and and 800mAh so far I have done more than one hundred charges with no problem. With the after market pack this is not the case though, have you faced something similar?

Thanks,
    Nikos
    Please check my blog: