Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Chip Hyde's new "Visa"

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Hyde's new "Visa"

I thought I'd just let you guys know Chip is at my place for the next week or two with the prototype "Visa". I posted some stuff about it in the Electric Pattern forum. It looks very good. We're going to get some flights on it tomorrow morning before heading to the AMA show.

BTW, do you think we really need a separate forum for electric pattern models? I don't. Kind of makes it hard to keep up on everything.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:21 AM
sarashina

Default RE: Chip Hyde's new

I agree with your opinion. I think two forums should be integrated as an F3A forum. We will be able to get more rich and various information by doing it than now.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

For me personally, I like the two forums. I have no interest in glow anymore (not saying it isn't good, as it is) so the electric forum appeals to me and my interests.. I don't want to search through pages of glow threads to get to an electric one.

Chris
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two is great, keeps the pertinent data for electric mostly in one place, and an extra click of the mouse isn't a bother.

I bounce netween the rwo constantly, already read your posts on the new plane before I saw this thread and wanted to see if there was anything additional.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
chris j
My Feedback: (22)

Well i'd like to see more information on it myself, but i've decided to try an electric with a sixty size plane. Hey buddy! missed you at the show this year.
I'll e-mail you some info on the plane and possible motor set up.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:54 AM
patternflyer1

Hey Chris,

Yeah, I couldn't make the show. I've only worked 1 week outta the last 5 and I came up with a last minute job. Of course it's working the weekend. I am bummed I couldn't be there! But, how else will i afford a Visa someday?

C
Old 01-10-2010, 03:55 AM
riot3d

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

Hey Chris,

Yeah, I couldn't make the show. I've only worked 1 week outta the last 5 and I came up with a last minute job. Of course it's working the weekend. I am bummed I couldn't be there! But, how else will i afford a Visa someday?

C

By heading down to the embassy and apply for one?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Jon Wold

One forum please. I don't see any reason to have a separate place to discuss electric F3A. There's already a glow engine forum so if there are extremely electric-specific topics post them in an electric propulsion forum. If it's F3A related, it truly needs to be in an F3A forum.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
plnhlr

Chis, we all missed you at the show. Had to put up with Jon. Got my passport (ELECTRIC) & am going to Lancaster Mon. so will see
the Visa then.

Bob G.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Chip and Tony,

Thanks for the help today at Lancaster. It was a spectacular flying day for sure. Perfect weather. I am not kidding, it was absolutely perfect. Rarely do I get flying conditions as awesome as today. I feel sorry for all those frozen souls in the rest of the country, being able to fly on a day like today in January is a real treat. One thing's for sure, in dead air you can really get a feel for what is going on with your plane. I never get dead air to fly in. Tony eyeballed my flight and figured a few things needed to be done (in addition to me learning how to fly wings level). Chip reprogrammed several parameters and really helped me out (no, he didn't land to change settings. He adjusted it in the air ) Now I have to erase all my bad habits and things I had been doing to compensate.

Since this is a Visa thread, I'll keep to the topic. I got to see the Visa in action at the field. It really looks neat. The pictures don't really do it justice. Tony was right in his earlier post. This thing is LIGHT. It is also very stiff. Pretty impressive. Even though this is a first article prototype, you can tell that the build quality is very nice.

As for flying, Chip was working on things all day and he really started to get it dialed in. He was working a lot on prop choice and power curves. All I can say is that it really hauls the mail. The plane presents very well, especially when propped to provide a bit slower downline. It snaps beautifully as well. I think this will be a real winner when its finalized (I don't know if it can top the Pass-port, but it sure looks like it is headed in that direction). It was looking great this afternoon for sure.

There were some cameras at the field, so there might be some pics showing up later. But, this is one you have to see in person to really appreciate.

Thanks again guys, I had a great time today.

Steve Hannah
Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
patternflyer1

Hey Bob,

Good to hear from you! Yeah, I missed the show. I'm bummed still. But, I can pay a few bills now. lol

Electric? Are you feeling ok? Bob Gillespie with an electric? I can't believe it, honestly. You're obviously pulling my leg. Glad to hear you got a Passport. I think it's a good plane. Chip sure makes it look good, but he could probably do that with a piper cub. I thought many times about getting a Passport, but can't really afford it. Probably be the same with the Visa. Sure hope this economy turns around for us all.

Have fun in Lancaster. I'm looking forward to seeing it fly myself. Heck, if it wasn't 4 1/2 hours worth of driving, I would probably come down and fly with you guys as I'm off tomorrow. But, I'll just stay here in the fog. lol

Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
1bwana1

Bob Gillespie with a Passport, and an electric one at that! I never though I'd see the day. I guess old dogs really can learn new tricks. Seriously Bob, you are going to like flying the Passport. Congratulations on the new plane! I was out practicing with mine today, conditions down here in San Diego were also perfect.

Steve,
Thanks for posting the report on the Visa. I really like the looks of it, and it sounds like a promising airframe. I hope someone does post the pictures, I'd love to see them.

We are all going to have to get together for some practice sometime before the first contest.

Steve,
Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Steve,

Tony and I were talking about having some practice sessions. It would be really good. Time's running out before the season starts. I guess we better pick a date and site.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 PM
1bwana1

Just let me know when, and where, I will be there! We have 4 Passports in San Diego now.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
chris j
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Steve, Where did you find pictures? I'd like to get a look at it. Chris, did you get the e-mail i sent you? I've got some more info to send you but i need to get everything together and send it all at once, but i want you to check it out first and tell me what you think.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 PM
plnhlr

Chis & Steve, I hope you didn't pass out from the shock (you could Steve). Hope the passport is ready to fly this weekend.

Bob G.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
1bwana1

ORIGINAL: plnhlr

Chis & Steve, I hope you didn't pass out from the shock (you could Steve). Hope the passport is ready to fly this weekend.

Bob G.
Bob, I didn't quite pass out, but I did get dizzy from laughing. We will have some fun flying this year. Let me know if you need any help figuring out the new fangled electric motors and stuff.Change is hard for us old guys. LOL!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: plnhlr

Bob G.
A couple of hints Bob -

NEVER try to put fuel in your electric plane!
NEVER use a starter on the motor!
NEVER let the magic smoke out of the packs or ESC.

And remember, it is NOT dead stick just because you cannot hear it.

Bill

Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
pappy35

Isn't the word 'Visa' covered by copyright?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For credit cards, I'm sure, but the term Visa has other meanings. I believe Chip was using it as a "work visa" play on words after the last design was the Pass Port.

Arch
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not a copywrighted word if it does appear in the dictionary.

Regards
Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
pappy35

I toally missed the Immigration connection: Visa, Passport, Green Card... 8-)
Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: pappy35

I toally missed the Immigration connection: Visa, Passport, Green Card... 8-)

Which is why I am waiting for the final plane int he series:

The "Diplomatic Immunity"

You can fly totally outside the judging and pretty much do as you please and nobody can tell you not to!!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM
pappy35

How about 'the Deported".

...or 'the Asylum'
Old 01-16-2010, 02:46 AM
patternflyer1

So I met Chip down in Bakersfield today and I can say that the VISA is as light as he says. The wings are probably the lightest wood wings I have ever held. The fuse is very very strong, no twisting at all. I really think the fuse design is doing what Chip intended it to. And I think other desingers will probably follow suit for electrics.
So how did it fly. Well, first off, I noticed the crazy sick power that the Neu had. It's the kind of power that I've wanted, but have been lacking with my current motor and I'm pretty sure it cost me not only at the Nats, but at my District Championship contest. So anyway, I take off, and do some trim passes as Chip had to setup his 14mz so that I could fly it on mode 4 (rudder and ele on the right stick, throttle, aileron on the left) and start trying to get a feel for his setup. The first thing I noticed is the downline speed is a nice slow speed. Something I'm not used to on my Abbra. So then I proceed to do a bunch of rolling manuvers and man does it roll nice. I've been told that I'm a pretty good roller, but geez does this plane make it easy. Very little rudder required in knifes. I'm sure this is due to the split rudder and SFG's. Uplines and downlines were really good also. The plane floats in for landing. Thought I was going to overshoot as I'm not used to that, but it set down at center nicely. I LIKED IT!!!

I also saw Bob's Passport with the full new paint job. I can say that CA has really stepped up the quality of their painting!

So, from a non biased, nothing to do with CA Models guy would I buy one? Yes I would, if I could afford it. Heck, I'd probably get a Passport and Visa.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.