Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Spot On 50 vs. Phoenix Models Sea Bee

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Spot On 50 vs. Phoenix Models Sea Bee

Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 AM
dakoris73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot On 50 vs. Phoenix Models Sea Bee

Hello there;

I'm fairly new to the pattern scene, and so looking forward to attempting the Sportsman class this year. My dilemna is in my first Pattern Plane purchase. I've been looking around for a good, low cost entry level pattern plane, and its come down to two planes: the World Models Spot On 50 or the Phoenix models Sea Bee. There's not much difference in price, however trying to find any flight reviews on either plane seem to be sketchy and iffy at best. I am planning on using a Magnum 52 4 stroke with my plane, and wondering if anyone might have some good insight about the differences or advantages between the two, and more importantly personal flight reviews on either or both planes. My understanding is that either plane will do well through the intermediate class, but wanting to know from experienced hands their opinions.

Thanks, and looking forward to the challenges ahead.

Dax
Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Spot On 50 vs. Phoenix Models Sea Bee

Iwas trying to make the same decision last week. Iwent with the Seabee. Ihave a YS .63 for it. I only briefly looked at it when it came but it looks nice. I'll probably start on it in a week or so.

Here's a video of one with Magnum .52 in it. Flies nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvbke2moDU
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 AM
cchariandy

The Spot On is a true Pattern plane and if you can put a YS63 in it you'll have a very capable plane. The See Bee is a sport plane.

There is a thread here that can show you how to save alot of weight on the Spot On...take a look at it.

Colin.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
jetflyrf86
My Feedback: (31)

Spot on 50. it the only way to go
Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Ekvien

I would choose See Bea. I had have them both and Sea Bea is much better build, better covering and easier to set up. Its true that Spot On much more looks like a modern pattern plane but its cheap wooden quality and the not the mention the covering - lots of sealing and ironing to get it looks good.

And as you say - you want a good beginner plane for the sportsman class. If you want to continue flying pattern you will move up to a bigger plane because it flies better, handle windy conditons better and easier to see when the maneouvers getting bigger.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 AM
dakoris73

Hey guys;
I thought that I would update this thread to say that I went ahead and got the Phoenix Models Sea Bee, and with a magnum 52 4 stroke, its a joy to fly... very nice and straight and so much easier to fly that I thought. Its a plane that definitely goes where you point it, and is very capable of giving me a very good shot of practicing for the Sportsman pattern contest. I've been having a blast flying it and hope that it lasts a long time for me...........

Dax