Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Chair For Competition Flying

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM
mdjohnson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chair For Competition Flying

Greetings All

Are there any AMA, FAIor MAAC rule gurus here who can tell me if using a chair while flying competition is allowed? I have quite a bad balance issue (certified) and it would be far better for me to sit while I fly instead of weaving around like there is a 100kt wind blowing. I do think that this would improve my flying although I have not tried as of yet. I did not want to get my hopes up if it was legal in competition or not.

Thanks for the input,

MJ
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chair For Competition Flying

MJ,

There is no rule that I am aware of and I don't think there could be one anyway, especially if someone needed it for health reasons. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it. I've seen a few older guys at contests use stools while flying, but I can't imagine any reason a chair would be a problem,

Arch
Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I see no problem with it either
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mdjohnson

Greetings All

Are there any AMA, FAI or MAAC rule gurus here who can tell me if using a chair while flying competition is allowed? I have quite a bad balance issue (certified) and it would be far better for me to sit while I fly instead of weaving around like there is a 100kt wind blowing. I do think that this would improve my flying although I have not tried as of yet. I did not want to get my hopes up if it was legal in competition or not.

Thanks for the input,

MJ
MJ

I see you are in BC so I know and have flown with most all the pattern guys around your area, I can tell you 100% that no one will ever tell you that you cannot use a chair while flying if you need to. Don't worry about it, just do what you need to so you can have fun at the contests.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

It would make it easier for the judges to see. . .
Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
woodie

Ditto for those of us on the left coast. We have had people in need of a chair or stool when flying. We are just glad they can be with us for the fun. I can't imagine any CD making a fuss about that, nor any competitor for that matter. If someone were to make fuss, the other competitors would 'take care of it'... ;-)

Woodie
Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Jason Arnold

Would you tell a disabled person they can't fly because of their wheel chair? I think not.

I'd say go for it.

The judges only need to worry about how the model presents not the pilot.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

I used a bar stool for 3 years when I was working for the government flying UAV's. It took me exactly 1 week to get use to it and I wonder to this day if I shouldn't try it.

Greg Grigsby
Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 PM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Terry Mahady (spelling) for the time I knew him had been in a wheel chair flying and very good job I might add. Couple of years ago I had to use a stool to sit on because of some back problems, I have never seen anything in the rules against it. I also add that if it was it would be a discrimination issue for sure and would be easy to turn over.
Steve Maxwell
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
mdjohnson

Thanks for all the replies and kind words of encouragement guys. I just wanted to make sure before buying a 2m or equivlent machine and investing some large milage in the vehicle to show up at a contest and not be able to fly because of the chair issue. I had suspected as much as everyone has indicated but as I say, I just wanted to make sure. I was into pattern 15 years ago and how things have changed!! I am very much looking forward to seeing you all eventually.

Cheers

Murray Johnson