Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Aerofly, RealFlight or Phoenix ?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Enrique-F3A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerofly, RealFlight or Phoenix ?

I am in need of a flight simulator to practice F3A (P-11) maneuvers. For this purpose, which one do you prefer: Aerofly 5, RealFlight or the new and cheapest Phoenix simulator ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs
Enrique
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM
2Sunny

Default RE: Aerofly, RealFlight or Phoenix ?

Well, I own RealFlight 4.5 and the new Phoenix. I use the Pinnacle model on RealFlight and the Integral on the Phoenix simulator for F3A practice. The Phoenix has the benefit of being designed to be used with your personal transmitter, which I assumed would make a significant difference, but after flying both I admit I do not find any advantage to using my JR versus using the included transmitter from RealFlight. I also found that the editing functions of both programs allow one to create a model that flies in a manner to which you are accustomed. I have not found anything at which the Phoenix simulator excels, but I would note that the RealFlight electric geared motor sound is much more realistic than the electric motor sound included with the Phoenix simulator. Of course that has little or no bearing on the effectiveness of your practice. Sadly I do not own Aeroflight, but I plan on rectifying that soon enough

Hope that tiny bit of information is of some value.

Joe
Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I like Phoenix the best for F3A practice. I found the flight characteristics of the Integral to be very realistic. I think Realflight might look a little more realistic, as if you were watching someone fly a real plane, but I find the graphics of Phoenix to be more conducive to practice (as in I feel like I can see what I'm doing with the plane better on Phoenix).

I'm converting to electric power, and while I haven't flown my first electric plane yet, the sound of the piped Integral was so real and the smoke trail so perfect that I already miss flying glow!

I think Phoenix is the sim of choice for F3A - there have been a lot of people talking about it in the pattern forum, and there's even an online contest that's been starting up over the past few weeks (I think they're flying the second round tonight) as Phoenix allows for multi-player use over the internet.

Unfortunately the Phoenix demo doesn't let you control the planes, and therefore it doesn't do the program justice. I have used Realflight, Phoenix, and Aeroflight and find Phoenix to be the best sim for practice.

Aeroflight seems to be the least realistic with respect to flight characteristics. Often the planes are pretty floaty and the software will let you get away with doing stuff that just doesn't work in real life.

Of course this has a lot to do with opinion and I'm sure you'll hear others, but for F3A I can tell you that you will definitely not be disappointed with Phoenix.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:17 AM
Hans Meij

Have got AFPD and Aerofly 5
On AFPD I did practice with the Beryll. This is a good F3A implementatian and matches the characteristics of my Synergy very well. The Beryll is from the team-system add-on.
Aerofly 5 asks a lot of the hardware. You must have one of the latest Nvidea or Ati cards. Aerofly 5 hase no mono-wing F3A model yet. It has the Amethyst, a biplane, however. As with the Beryl the Amethyst is also set-up by the Matt's for the sim. If the Amethyst flys in real as in the sim then it is a superb model.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:18 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I like Phoenix the best for F3A practice. I found the flight characteristics of the Integral to be very realistic. I think Realflight might look a little more realistic, as if you were watching someone fly a real plane, but I find the graphics of Phoenix to be more conducive to practice (as in I feel like I can see what I'm doing with the plane better on Phoenix).

I'm converting to electric power, and while I haven't flown my first electric plane yet, the sound of the piped Integral was so real and the smoke trail so perfect that I already miss flying glow!

I think Phoenix is the sim of choice for F3A - there have been a lot of people talking about it in the pattern forum, and there's even an online contest that's been starting up over the past few weeks (I think they're flying the second round tonight) as Phoenix allows for multi-player use over the internet.

Unfortunately the Phoenix demo doesn't let you control the planes, and therefore it doesn't do the program justice. I have used Realflight, Phoenix, and Aeroflight and find Phoenix to be the best sim for practice.

Aeroflight seems to be the least realistic with respect to flight characteristics. Often the planes are pretty floaty and the software will let you get away with doing stuff that just doesn't work in real life.

Of course this has a lot to do with opinion and I'm sure you'll hear others, but for F3A I can tell you that you will definitely not be disappointed with Phoenix.
Joe,

Do you know if this can be purchased without the TX? What does it cost w/o TX? I want something for me but also want something for my grandkids to play with so training stuff is also important

MattK
Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for AFPD i fly the Astral XX F3A on it for quite long time, i have yet to try the Aerofly 5, i think many have also said the Phoneix but i have never tried it. But if someone says Real fight i have tried its real JUNK..... buy it & then later sell it get rid of it...

I fly FAI on the Astrall XX.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 PM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: MTK

Joe,

Do you know if this can be purchased without the TX? What does it cost w/o TX? I want something for me but also want something for my grandkids to play with so training stuff is also important

MattK
I bought the version without controller direct from Phoenix, because it was sold out on Horizon. With the conversion and shipping from UK, it was $168 with the adapter for Airtronics/Sanwa. Horizonmight have it in now, it's like $129, if Iremember right. Don't forget to order the adapter for YOUR radio when you order the sim.

www.phoenix-sim.com
Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM
nicepoz

Hello Hans Meij

Where did you get the Berryl for the AFPD? Can you put the "file" to this forum so I can get it to?

Kindly Roland
Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Hans Meij

You can get it at the Ikarus shop
http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/onlin...on1-%28DVD%29/
Old 03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only problem with the Phoenix is the physics, is a god practice program and the best for the money, but aerofly an the Realflight 4 and up are better sims, i have all of them, that's why I do that comparison.

I paid $129 for the Phoenix at my LHS about a month ago.
Regards
Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM
SanJoseDale

Can someone tell me where to get a pattern model for Realflight? I read here there is a Pinnacle available.

Thanks,

Dale
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Well, there is a Venus II as one of the models to select from in RealFlight.

CGr.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

You can download the Pinnacle and a Genesis from the Real Flight site in downloads. It is a free download and they both fly pretty well. Here is the site.

Arch
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Arch: Can you post that link again?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 AM
rcpattern

Here it is, if it mysteriously disappears again, I'll PM anyone with it. Just go to Real Flight dot com and click on downloads, and then swap files.

http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php

Arch
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 AM
SanJoseDale

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how to download and import, not obvious to me.

As far as the Venus II, it isn't in mine, perhaps in put of the upgrade packs?

Dale
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dale,
It's in my Dad's Real Flight 2, so it might be hiding from you in there somewhere.
Chris...
Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 AM
rcpattern

Dale,

This should help. It talks about the process of importing. It shows importing an airport, but the process is the same.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/impo...importhelp.php

Arch
Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
n233w

Any updates to your opinions, or new opinions, on the matter of simulators? What about those programs that offer a "grid in the sky" option? Are these of any value?

Thanks,

Bill