Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for OS 140RX on my new pattern ship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Suggestions for OS 140RX on my new pattern ship

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
slipkid
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for OS 140RX on my new pattern ship

Hi All,
One my purchases this swap season was an oddessy pattern ship that is a generation old, in that it has retractable gear and a thinner fuselodge than current ships. She has a motor I am unfamilliar with and that would be a OS 140RX. I am lookig for fuel and prop suggestions for this beast. It is on a tuned pipe which is understandably long, this being a 2 stroke. Preliminary searching shows this motor does not like/need nitro above 20% - is this a somewhat high compression motor?

Any help would be aprpeciated

Joe
Old 03-13-2010, 04:07 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Suggestions for OS 140RX on my new pattern ship

The 140RX runs well on 15% to at least 22% nitro without the need for ny head shims. Going to 30% nitro you would probably need a head shim, but there's no particular reason to run that much nitro on this engine. As for props, you need to select something that works well with the airframe and the engine together. You could go as small as a 17x12, up to an 18.1x10. Use either an OS type F or K&B 1L plug. I would suggest starting with the 17x12 or 17x13 and see how it behaves. If all is right with your low end needle, you should get a nice idle that also allow a quick throttle response after idling for a minute, i.e., no sputtering in the mid-range. Generally, you want to have the low end needle about as rich as you can make it and still get a good throttle transition.

Get it to run at least this well on the ground and then you can see how it behaves in the air. If it's jumpy on the pipe, or tends to misbehave by richening up in the midrange in the air, try lengthening the header 1/4" at a time. If it's an ES pipe, they are really easy to adjust. Distance from the plug to the reflector should be in the 25 to 27" range.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually run mine on 15%. But the 140 does respond well to Nitro. and i have ran up to 25% on hot humid days. I used to really like Powermaster 15/16. But have not been able to get that lately. Now i just run Powermaster mean and green 15% and add nitro if needed.
As far as plugs the OS F, YS 4-stroke and the K&B1L i have used all with success.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:46 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Make sure the rear bearing are stainless steel. . . If you don't know how to change the bearings, drop me a PM and I'll let you know . . .