Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

proper ID

Old 03-14-2010, 01:16 PM
draftbeer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper ID

Hi, I am new to pattern and I am getting ready to build a Focus II from Piedmont bought from Central Hobbies. The proper markings on a
contest planeis the AMAmember number according to the rule book. Where I am confused is I have seen picturesof pattern planes that displayed the NSRCA number.Can you display either or ?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:13 PM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: proper ID

As far as I know there is not need to display the NSRCA number. Only the AMA number. NSRCA is optional. Make sure that you follow the directions. This is more important if you attend the Nats. I don't think is a problem in local contests.

VB
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NSRCA number is purely optional.

Arch
Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

NSRCA is not even required to compete in pattern, including at the Nats.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:28 PM
draftbeer

Thanks for the info guys, When you cant fly because of the weather the brain sometimes thinks up alot of questions.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: draftbeer

Thanks for the info guys, When you cant fly because of the weather the brain sometimes thinks up alot of questions.
Tell me about it. I've 'over thought' every step of the assembly and power selection of my winter pattern project! [&o] I forgot all about the AMA numbers on the plane though, so thanks for the thread
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

I never really understood the reasoning about WHY it is so important to have that number on your plane.  At what point in an official flight is that number checked?  If you borrow a plane at a contest, do you have to change that number every flight that it is used by another pilot?  What is the penalty for not flying with a proper AMA number printed on your plane?  Could the #2 pilot in a class at the Nats raise an objection and get the #1 pilot's flights DQ'd for not having the correct AMA number on his plane during official flights?  If it is so important, then it should be enforced. . .

It is just one more example of how "Big Brother" is creeping little by little into your life. . 
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Here it is from the rule book...

4.7: Identification. All models shall be identified by the contestant’s AMA license number permanently affixed to the upper side of the right hand lifting surface or to each side of the fuselage or vertical stabilizer. The height of the numerals must be at least one (1) inch. Both stroke and width shall be such as to enable ready recognition.
4.7.1: Borrowed or shared aircraft shall carry temporary identification, as shall repaired aircraft if deemed necessary by the Contest Director. Such identification shall consist of the AMA license number of the contestant operating the model affixed to or written on the model in any way which conforms to the standard set forth in 4.7. Temporary identification numbers may be affixed in any manner which will withstand the rigors of flight

Scott
Old 03-15-2010, 09:47 AM
rcpattern

Keith,

It is checked at the NATS. That is one of the things that is done at processing for the finals and such. I've seen several people with Masking Tape numbers on wings before. I've never seen it checked locally. Kind of like sound and weight. No one cares, except at the NATS.

Arch
Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
grotto2

I've been to large local contests where there are line workers that crosscheck the ready boxes with line cards having pilot name and AMA. Even if the pilot isn't right there with the airplane, they can check the AMA on the plane and determine if there is an upcoming problem.

The rule doesn't say you can't have more than one AMA number on it either. I've seen a shared plane with a second number grease-penciled on the wing.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
klhoard

1) Yes, I know its in the rulebook.
2) Yes, I know its "checked" at the NATS.

My question could have been stated "What is the purpose of the rule?".  Other than the joy some guys get from having another rule to follow, Grotto2's explanation is the best (and only) explanation of a reason behind the rule.  Hopefully contests will some day get big enough to where there will be "line workers", so for now I'll just assume that it's a holdover from the days of 100+ pilot contests. ..

I still haven't seen what the consequences are for not having that number on the airplane. . . has anyone had a flight Zero'ed for this?  I mean, without speeding tickets, speed limit signs are just a big waste of money. . .
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM
rcpattern

Keith,

I don't know that it has happened at a major contest, but yes, you would zero the flights. Just like being overweight in the finals.

Arch
Old 03-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Strat2003

Also, the AMA Safety Code requires that your model have your name, address and AMA number "inside or affixed to the outside" of the aircraft.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
klhoard

Ah yes, to make my aircraft safe. . .

The AMA doesn't require any technical or proficiency standards, but as long as I have that number on the wing. . .

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

Also, the AMA Safety Code requires that your model have your name, address and AMA number "inside or affixed to the outside" of the aircraft.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
vbortone

I wonder if this is insurance related. It could be the single reason.

VB
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
klhoard

Who knows. . . I just felt like being difficult today. . .
Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 PM
mjfrederick

I think it started out as a way to identify an airplane in case of a flyaway. Nowadays it's probably more for insurance reasons and to appease the FAA (kinda like the tail numbers on any full-scale aircraft). I don't know about where you live, but I got mine cut at a local sign shop out of vinyl, it only cost like $15 to setup 2 airplanes with my name, AMA, and NSRCA numbers, and they look pretty good, too.